LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 323 users in the forums

Does Special Teams Coordinator Al Everest Get Fired?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does Special Teams Coordinator Al Everest Get Fired?

I don't think so...
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by PTulini:
If so, Does he get fired? Isn't it something like 7 fumbles on special teams this season? I'd love to hire Bobby April from the Buffalo Bills if we could get him.

Ummmm 7 fumbles cause McCloughan cut Rossum. Yeah let's fire Everest it's all his fault.

~Ceadder

co sign it's the players not the coach in this situation
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Don't know. But I don't think so. Our coverage units have been very good. One good play by Percy Harvin early in the year, but it happens sometimes. Other than that, we've been fine.

Kick Return Stats

Returns--Yds--Yds/Ret--Long--TD--49ers
42--------930-----22.1----76----0

Returns--Yds--Yds/Ret--Long--TD--Opponents
52-------1127----21.7----101----1

We are ranked 21st in the NFL in KR

Punt Return Stats

Returns--FC--Yds/Ret--Long--TD--49ers
41--------11----4.0------14-----0

Returns--FC--Yds/Ret--Long--TD--Opponents
49--------12----8.3------42-----0

Plain and simple we suck on ST and have sucked since PS when we had Rossum. This has been a major issue all year and needs to be addressed. Just like being ranked 23rd for O Line (33 sacks allowed) isn't good enough and people want a new O line coach....we should be calling for a new ST coach as well.
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
Of course not. It's not his fault we don't have a returner. Our punt and kickoff coverage has always been one of the best, and has a knack on making our second and third stringers into really good special teamers.

I don't see him going anywhere, unless Singletary has someone in mind already. I'd expect him back next season.
Looks like our coverage units, kicker, punter, long snappers, line protectors, gunners, are all doing excellent.

The only problem is we don't have an experienced, explosive returner. You can't blame the coach for that.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for Overkill.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Don't know. But I don't think so. Our coverage units have been very good. One good play by Percy Harvin early in the year, but it happens sometimes. Other than that, we've been fine.

Kick Return Stats

Returns--Yds--Yds/Ret--Long--TD--49ers
42--------930-----22.1----76----0

Returns--Yds--Yds/Ret--Long--TD--Opponents
52-------1127----21.7----101----1

We are ranked 21st in the NFL in KR

Punt Return Stats

Returns--FC--Yds/Ret--Long--TD--49ers
41--------11----4.0------14-----0

Returns--FC--Yds/Ret--Long--TD--Opponents
49--------12----8.3------42-----0

Plain and simple we suck on ST and have sucked since PS when we had Rossum. This has been a major issue all year and needs to be addressed. Just like being ranked 23rd for O Line (33 sacks allowed) isn't good enough and people want a new O line coach....we should be calling for a new ST coach as well.

Finding a talented KR/PR will do far more than hiring a new ST coach.

Our opponents 21.7 yds/KR average would place 22nd (and we've only faced 2 teams all year ranked lower than 22nd). Meaning our coverage unit hasn't been the problem.
Its more likely this is the final season for both Butter and Fingers.
i like how people seem to think ST is all KR/PR yardage and TD's.

i dont know if youve noticed, but the Niners dont give up KR or PR TD's hardly at all. one to Harvin this year i think, but overall maybe a couple a season? which isnt bad considering theres about 10+ returns against you every week.

The Pittsburgh Steelers gave up a return TD EIGHT STRAIGHT WEEKS this year. trust me, you can do alot worse as a ST unit.

our punt coverage and kick coverage teams have been great the last few years, and we dont make very many ST miscues. Al Everest is doing his job. Give him Josh Cribbs as a returner and suddenly our ST unit is elite.

we just need a competent return man who isnt 100 years old.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Nah...he's one of the best in the league. What we do need is some real returners...I still say the answer is to trade for Josh Cribbs. Browns need players/draft picks, so why not make a deal.
so it's Al Everest's fault Battle and Jones are cooters when fielding punts? lol

We just don't have ourselves a kick/punt returner. Our head coach and GM are too stubborn to realize this.

I know a lot of ppl want Cribbs, but don't see us trading for him. He will want to be a part of the offense too (yes he runs the Wildcat pretty well, but still doesn't qualify him as a top WR) , and I think we have way more talented WRs than him. He'll want starter money and will only be a return guy.

Only big-name returner I see us picking up would be Bush if he gets cut b/c of his change of pace back quality, receiving ability, and PR/KR abilities. If not, Justin Miller (he's not bad, the Jets just have younger, cheaper talent in Washington who can do the same) and a player in the draft.
  • bret
  • Veteran
We've had outstanding special teams except for one area: we've never had an explosive returner except for Rossum. I put this squarely on McCloughan and his drafting strategy of going for big players rather than explosive players.
No. Special teams has always been a very strong point about this team. Lee is one of the leagues top 3 best punters. Nedney is solid and steady. The return units have been fantastic.

The only thing that we've been lacking has been a PR/KR, and I blame management for cutting Rossum more than I'll blame Everest for it.
Get rid of Battle too while we're at it.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
I dont think so

when we had rossum we really didnt have this many fumbles.

Then you have idiot players who should know better than to try and catch a punt in traffic.

Yeah Battle is absolutely no threat at punt returns and our special teams is strong on defense, not sure if we let any tds on special teams this season but they seem pretty consistant. Of course having the best punter in the nfc doenst hurt, but he needs a real punt and kick returner before you can rule him out
Share 49ersWebzone