LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 132 users in the forums

Walt Harris or Dre Bly for 2010

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Walt Harris or Dre Bly for 2010

Walt Harris and Dre Bly are free agents at the end of the year but who would you rather have on the team next year if the niners choose to resign one? or niether? or both? I say we should go after Bly but i know he wants to be a starter and might sign somewhere else. I think Dre has played very solid this year and Walt got burned a little too much last year and more than likely wont be fully recovered from his injury but would make a good back up.What do you guys think?
Originally posted by goldthumb68:
Walt Harris and Dre Bly are free agents at the end of the year but who would you rather have on the team next year if the niners choose to resign one? or niether? or both? I say we should go after Bly but i know he wants to be a starter and might sign somewhere else. I think Dre has played very solid this year and Walt got burned a little too much last year and more than likely wont be fully recovered from his injury but would make a good back up.What do you guys think?

neither
Wow good question. It's tough for me. I think Bly did a very good job this year for us. Can't we keep both Tarrell Brown is developing nicely as a starter too. How Walt Harris still got the gas to play I don't know.
Honestly. I say keep both, Hudson will likely be lost due to FA, as will Roman.

But in all likelihood, we're going to be drafting a CB with return experience, making Harris not an option. But if he were re-signed, we'd have a heck of an experienced defensive backfield.

Clements, Spencer, Bly, Brown, Harris - I'd love that. No Keith Smith is a good thing.
Move Walt Harris to backup FS if he's willing to do it
Only guys i want back would be..
1. Clements- our best CB and most complete in FOREVER!
2. Spencer- Has played his best this season, tall bigger corner is a plus!
3. W. Harris- I believe Walt was our defensive MVP in 06, and played VERRY well 07-08
4. Brown- Still getting better, does get beat and misses tackles at times..
5. Goldson- Had a HUUGE game MNF, thats promising! Is he the GUY? Berry? Mays?
6. M. Lewis- very sure tackling SS, concusions are a PROBLEM!

CUT: Bly- To much bagage IMO
Roman- his time needs to end here in SF
Hudson- dood is a waste
Smith- not sure about this guy, he might stay if we dont take a DB in the first couple rds
Taylor- all hes done this season has got hurt
  • Dino
  • Veteran
bly
Sign them both . . . given their age it's possible that one of the two wouldn't survive camp.
VVVV

[ Edited by YuNGaCE on Dec 15, 2009 at 23:09:17 ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

we need a ballhawking PHYSICAL free safety. btw, didn't walt say he was done after the season ?

Originally posted by YuNGaCE:

we need a ballhawking PHYSICAL free safety. btw, didn't walt say he was done after the season ?

Pretty sure he said he wasnt done
I say keep both. You can never have enough quality depth at corner, especially when facing pass happy teams like the Cards. Dre has broken some passes very nicely and Walt was playing great until he got injured so both would be great in Nickel and Dime situations. We've seen what happens when you don't have enough quality DB depth on the team and guys like Keith Smith have to take the field...good QBs find those mismatches all the time.
Wow good question. It's tough for me. I think Bly did a very good job this year for us. Can't we keep both Tarrell Brown is developing nicely as a starter too. How Walt Harris still got the gas to play I don't know.

Really? remember the ATL game? Bly has toooo many lapses! no way. bly will not be back! book it!
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
Only guys i want back would be..
1. Clements- our best CB and most complete in FOREVER!
2. Spencer- Has played his best this season, tall bigger corner is a plus!
3. W. Harris- I believe Walt was our defensive MVP in 06, and played VERRY well 07-08
4. Brown- Still getting better, does get beat and misses tackles at times..
5. Goldson- Had a HUUGE game MNF, thats promising! Is he the GUY? Berry? Mays?
6. M. Lewis- very sure tackling SS, concusions are a PROBLEM!

CUT: Bly- To much bagage IMO Roman- his time needs to end here in SF
Hudson- dood is a waste
Smith- not sure about this guy, he might stay if we dont take a DB in the first couple rds
Taylor- all hes done this season has got hurt

Good points all around but you nailed it with the bagage! his stupid dancing when he gets a pick or fumble!
  • cools
  • Veteran
Bly will get a juicy offer from some team that needs a starter, I'd like to keep him but
I doubt Niners pay him starter $

Harris will be cheap, and easy to sign, and good to have around as a #4 or 5 CB,
and also being able to play S if needed

Hudson and K.Smith gone

Brown is going to be good, I think he takes that #3 spot (unless we draft Haden)

LCB Nate
RCB Spence
NB Brown
Depth Harris and Rookie (C.Butler, Clemson)
Share 49ersWebzone