LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 235 users in the forums

Greg Manusky getting a lot of attention

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ptinerocket:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by Mospeed:
Now that we've had two very good defensive games during prime time I've noticed that Greg Manusky has been receiving a good amount of media attention. Of course this is a good sign for him, it means he's doing a hell of a job with what he has but all I can think about is how easily we lost McCarthy in '05 and Turner in '06 ot head coaching jobs. Does anyone else think theres a chance that another team will offer him a job as a HC?

I think its very possible, but i dont see it happening, yet anyway.

Plus i think we will compensate him well, and retain him, but this time, unlike Norv, Manusky will stay.

I really like the staff, with Sing as HC, Greg as DC, and the good assistants, like Rathman, TE Coach, Jason Tarver, Vantz Singletary, Jonnhie Lynn, Vance Joseph, Tomsula, and even Raye has done a good job.

But the OL coach and WR coach must go. Sulivan is getting up their, and we could use a hot assistant, to be WR Coach,

and also keep Mike Johnson, QB Coach, and promote him to Assistant OC or something, maybe Assistant HC.

Jerry Rice, time to show your passion for this game and this team once again!! jerry rice, WR coach 20010 of the San francisco 49ers

I hope Manusky stays. Would be great if Rice could come back to the 49ers as a coach.
Originally posted by Ninerwinner:
Considering the other potential candidates such as Holmgren, Shanahan, Cower, Manusky as the next HC in 2010 is slight. Now if the Niners make the conference finals or the big game in the coming years then all our coordinators are prime material.

Don't forget Leslie Frazier too. He's been a hot name the last few seasons. I could see him going somewhere like Buffalo.

[ Edited by PTulini on Dec 15, 2009 at 20:38:13 ]
  • brandonjg
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Mospeed:
Now that we've had two very good defensive games during prime time I've noticed that Greg Manusky has been receiving a good amount of media attention. Of course this is a good sign for him, it means he's doing a hell of a job with what he has but all I can think about is how easily we lost McCarthy in '05 and Turner in '06 ot head coaching jobs. Does anyone else think theres a chance that another team will offer him a job as a HC?

he doesn't have enough experience IMO.

He won't be a serious contender until we have a top 10 defense and are going to the playoffs.
Originally posted by AKfanster:
No, too many proven names out there right now.

Isn't there already a Manusky HC thread?

Yes, but things like that don't matter to the current mods.
The defense has been too uneven. Sometimes they play great, like against the Cards on Monday night and the Colts; other times, they look unprepared, like against the Texans and the Falcons.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by kem99:
No, for the last time he's not going to become a HC. He just became a defensive coordinator 2 years ago, how could he possibly be ready to become a HC at this point? The niners D has only been decent to good for only one year, so it's not like Manusky is some coaching guru either.

As has been mentioned, McCarthy got an interview and the GB HC job coming off leading the 32nd ranked offense. Turner got the SD HC job after leading an offense in the mid-20's. There have been coaches who have been position coaches that have gotten HC jobs (e.g. Singletary, Harbaugh). So, its possible if just 1 team falls in love with him.
Go look up McCarthy's credentials. He was already well established before coming to SF, and everyone knew we had no players in '05. Turner has been established for years. Singletary was hired because he's a HOF, was an assistant coach for us so long, and we had nothing to lose by giving him a tryout. I know nothing about Harbaugh's case though.

I know McCarthy's credentials and what they were at the time but how often does a coordinator get a HC job when the unit he led finished last and was significantly behind #31? Can you think of any other example that is close?

Yeah, Turner had established that he was a good OC and a not so good HC. Even he said he didn't expect to get another HC job in the NFL.

Your reasoning on Singletary is pretty weak. So, if he was not a HOF player he wouldn't have been hired? I don't recall ever seeing that as a reason. He was only an assistant here for 3 1/2 years. Its not like he had been here 10 years. The 49ers had a lot to lose, including stalling the franchise the next 3-4 years if they picked wrong. And, lets not forget, he almost got the Atlanta job the before the 2008 season.

Harbaugh was Philly's Special Teams Coach before becoming Baltimore's HC.

b/c our team was garbage. One bad year on a historically untalented team does not wipe out his previous years of success. Again, he was also hired because he was Favre's QB coach at one time, and GB needed a motivational factor for him not to retire.

So what if he's been mediocre? That didn't stop everyone else from hiring him, and AJ wanted to work with someone he got along with. He once again proved he was a talented OC on our untalented team, so it showed he had not lost his touch.

Singletary is special, because we saw first hand what he was capable of. The niners had nothing to lose by giving him the reigns in '08. All those concerns you mentioned were meant to be addressed by making him temporary HC and seeing what he was capable of. We knew the players liked him, so it was a chance to see if he could be an effective coach. The results in '08 speak for themselves.

One more thing, if you remember, Singletary was the go to guy to interview under the Rooney rule. It's just that he was so good at his interviews, he actually surprised owners enough to consider hiring him. I remember Jerry Jones giving Singletary many compliments after Singletary wowed him.

McCarthy...okay, but you dodged the question...can you name any other instance where a team hires a coordinator to be a first time HC when the unit he led had just finished last in the league? It just doesn't happen because teams want the "hot" coordinator. Even the prior year, McCarthy wasn't up for any HC jobs, he was up for OC jobs and chose to go with Nolan and the 49ers. If he wasn't up for any HC jobs, the year before the 49ers offense finished 32nd, it would seem unlikely he would get a HC job after leading the worst offense in the league.

Turner...no one has ever questioned Turner as an OC so Turner showing he was still a good OC didn't matter. Before going to SD, he had not been a successful HC in 2 different stops. Its rare that a coach gets a third shot as a HC after failing twice...and, like I said, at the time he was hired, I believe Turner said he didn't think there would be any more HC jobs in his future.

Singletary...okay, but now you've changed your argument...before you said it was because he was a HOF'er and because he had been an assistant coach here for "so long." If you're saying he got the job because he did a good job taking over for Nolan, I don't disagree. But, the point of this was whether Manusky could get HC opportunities after being the DC here for a couple of years. Singletary was never a coordinator and almost got the Falcons job before the '08 season.

Then, there's always the Harbaugh example. I don't believe Jim Caldwell was a coordinator either or at least no time recently, though he has been with the Colts since Dungy initially got there.
  • Mex49
If I was a fan of team looking for a HC after a horrible season and his name was mentioned, I would be so pissed.

My first questin would be WHO THE f**k IS THAT GUY and WHAT THE f**k HAS HE DONE?

Maybe in 2 or 3 more years of leading a solid D and he will be getting offers. Right now, not a chance.
That's one good thing about having Jimmy Raye...u know his old @ss ain't going nowhere...we can finally get two years under the same system. I think having continuity on the offensive side of the ball in regards to the coordinator is alot more important than on the Defensive side...I would hate to see Manusky go but he is a young guy so I would expect he would be moving on at some point..
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
They can have him, he is nothing special.
I'm happy to see he's getting some attention. He's gonna be a good coach, I believe.

He is still learning as a DC and nowhere near ready to be a HC. Maybe next year but more like 2-3 years
No, for the last time he's not going to become a HC. He just became a defensive coordinator 2 years ago, how could he possibly be ready to become a HC at this point? The niners D has only been decent to good for only one year, so it's not like Manusky is some coaching guru either.

As has been mentioned, McCarthy got an interview and the GB HC job coming off leading the 32nd ranked offense. Turner got the SD HC job after leading an offense in the mid-20's. There have been coaches who have been position coaches that have gotten HC jobs (e.g. Singletary, Harbaugh). So, its possible if just 1 team falls in love with him.
Go look up McCarthy's credentials. He was already well established before coming to SF, and everyone knew we had no players in '05. Turner has been established for years. Singletary was hired because he's a HOF, was an assistant coach for us so long, and we had nothing to lose by giving him a tryout. I know nothing about Harbaugh's case though.

I know McCarthy's credentials and what they were at the time but how often does a coordinator get a HC job when the unit he led finished last and was significantly behind #31? Can you think of any other example that is close?

Yeah, Turner had established that he was a good OC and a not so good HC. Even he said he didn't expect to get another HC job in the NFL.

Your reasoning on Singletary is pretty weak. So, if he was not a HOF player he wouldn't have been hired? I don't recall ever seeing that as a reason. He was only an assistant here for 3 1/2 years. Its not like he had been here 10 years. The 49ers had a lot to lose, including stalling the franchise the next 3-4 years if they picked wrong. And, lets not forget, he almost got the Atlanta job the before the 2008 season.

b/c our team was garbage. One bad year on a historically untalented team does not wipe out his previous years of success. Again, he was also hired because he was Favre's QB coach at one time, and GB needed a motivational factor for him not to retire.

So what if he's been mediocre? That didn't stop everyone else from hiring him, and AJ wanted to work with someone he got along with. He once again proved he was a talented OC on our untalented team, so it showed he had not lost his touch.

Singletary is special, because we saw first hand what he was capable of. The niners had nothing to lose by giving him the reigns in '08. All those concerns you mentioned were meant to be addressed by making him temporary HC and seeing what he was capable of. We knew the players liked him, so it was a chance to see if he could be an effective coach. The results in '08 speak for themselves.

One more thing, if you remember, Singletary was the go to guy to interview under the Rooney rule. It's just that he was so good at his interviews, he actually surprised owners enough to consider hiring him. I remember Jerry Jones giving Singletary many compliments after Singletary wowed him.

McCarthy...okay, but you dodged the question...can you name any other instance where a team hires a coordinator to be a first time HC when the unit he led had just finished last in the league? It just doesn't happen because teams want the "hot" coordinator. Even the prior year, McCarthy wasn't up for any HC jobs, he was up for OC jobs and chose to go with Nolan and the 49ers. If he wasn't up for any HC jobs, the year before the 49ers offense finished 32nd, it would seem unlikely he would get a HC job after leading the worst offense in the league.

Turner...no one has ever questioned Turner as an OC so Turner showing he was still a good OC didn't matter. Before going to SD, he had not been a successful HC in 2 different stops. Its rare that a coach gets a third shot as a HC after failing twice...and, like I said, at the time he was hired, I believe Turner said he didn't think there would be any more HC jobs in his future.

Singletary...okay, but now you've changed your argument...before you said it was because he was a HOF'er and because he had been an assistant coach here for "so long." If you're saying he got the job because he did a good job taking over for Nolan, I don't disagree. But, the point of this was whether Manusky could get HC opportunities after being the DC here for a couple of years. Singletary was never a coordinator and almost got the Falcons job before the '08 season.

Then, there's always the Harbaugh example. I don't believe Jim Caldwell was a coordinator either or at least no time recently, though he has been with the Colts since Dungy initially got there.

I'm not dodging anything and I didn't change my argument. I told you exactly why McCarthy got hired, same with Turner. I only put in the HOF as part of Singletary's credentials, it was never a focal point of my arrangement, but you seem to have latched on it. He was hired based on his performance as HC last year.

The reason I don't think Manusky will get a job as a HC this year, is because he's too inexperienced and hasn't coached a terrific defense. If the niners continue to get better next year, then maybe then we should get concerned. I can't comment on other coaches who I know nothing about, so there isn't anything for me to talk about concerning Harbaugh.

[ Edited by blunt_probe on Dec 16, 2009 at 14:32:38 ]
hopefully we dont lose him our defense is the closeset thing to consistancy that weve seen in a while and they still need a lot of work. we can have a great d if we get some more talent in the secondary, hopefully get a better SS and if an opportunity comes to get an upgrade at cb hopefully we will take it. The saying is o wins games and d wins championships but we dont really have a great team yet if our d isnt great
  • Antix
  • Veteran
If we make the playoffs next year he'll be gone. Teams love stealing our cordinators.
  • kem99
  • Veteran

I'm not dodging anything and I didn't change my argument. I told you exactly why McCarthy got hired, same with Turner. I only put in the HOF as part of Singletary's credentials, it was never a focal point of my arrangement, but you seem to have latched on it. He was hired based on his performance as HC last year.

The reason I don't think Manusky will get a job as a HC this year, is because he's too inexperienced and hasn't coached a terrific defense. If the niners continue to get better next year, then maybe then we should get concerned. I can't comment on other coaches who I know nothing about, so there isn't anything for me to talk about concerning Harbaugh.

Well, if I read you correctly, it shouldn't matter if the defense isn't "great" given that in both cases it will be much better than McCarthy's and Turner's 49er offenses. Afterall, remember, McCarthy didn't get a sniff about a HC job before the GB job when his offenses were good to very good but not great.

As to Manusky's "inexperience" as a coordinator, Mike Tomlin had exactly 1 year as a DC with Minnesota in 2006 before getting the Steeler's HC job. And, of course, he has more coordinator experience than Singletary has.

Harbaugh was the Eagles ST coordinator for 9 years and their DB coach of 1 year before being hired by the Ravens.

Look, I doubt Manusky leaves this year to be a HC but he may get interviews and if he blows someone away in the interview, it wouldn't be unprecedented for him to get a HC job.
Share 49ersWebzone