There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Greg Manusky getting a lot of attention

• tmg808
  • Info N/A
There are a lot of good head coaches not in the game right now. I expect them all to find jobs. He could leave to be DC for another team but I don't see him getting a HC job
Originally posted by kem99:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
No, for the last time he's not going to become a HC. He just became a defensive coordinator 2 years ago, how could he possibly be ready to become a HC at this point? The niners D has only been decent to good for only one year, so it's not like Manusky is some coaching guru either.

As has been mentioned, McCarthy got an interview and the GB HC job coming off leading the 32nd ranked offense. Turner got the SD HC job after leading an offense in the mid-20's. There have been coaches who have been position coaches that have gotten HC jobs (e.g. Singletary, Harbaugh). So, its possible if just 1 team falls in love with him.
Go look up McCarthy's credentials. He was already well established before coming to SF, and everyone knew we had no players in '05. Turner has been established for years. Singletary was hired because he's a HOF, was an assistant coach for us so long, and we had nothing to lose by giving him a tryout. I know nothing about Harbaugh's case though.

[ Edited by blunt_probe on Dec 15, 2009 at 17:49:57 ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
No, for the last time he's not going to become a HC. He just became a defensive coordinator 2 years ago, how could he possibly be ready to become a HC at this point? The niners D has only been decent to good for only one year, so it's not like Manusky is some coaching guru either.

That doesn't explain Mike McCarthy, who became a head coach after one season after leading one of the worst offenses in NFL history.

McCarthy was an OC for 6 years and he was hired partially due to his relationship with Favre. Their cases aren't similar at all.

Yep.
I think most teams are starting to trend towards having offensive minded head coaches, so they can keep one system and not end up changing offenses every year (like us!). That means that OCs are much more likely to get picked up by other teams for HC jobs than DCs are.

So I think Manusky, and most of the other DCs out there, are safe for now.

As has been mentioned, McCarthy got an interview and the GB HC job coming off leading the 32nd ranked offense. Turner got the SD HC job after leading an offense in the mid-20's. There have been coaches who have been position coaches that have gotten HC jobs (e.g. Singletary, Harbaugh). So, its possible if just 1 team falls in love with him.
Go look up McCarthy's credentials. He was already well established before coming to SF, and everyone knew we had no players in '05. Turner has been established for years. Singletary was hired because he's a HOF, was an assistant coach for us so long, and we had nothing to lose by giving him a tryout. Harbaugh is in college, enough said.

yeah, Blunt is right. Those Niner teams were so void of what you would call talent no one was going to fault them. So both McCarthy and Turner had a somewhat good HC candidate rating before they singed up with the Niners, and as far as after the Niners, their suitors were willing to consider those seasons irrelevant.

If you want to know how bad those Niners were, that should give a pretty good explanation.
  • kem99
  • Veteran

Go look up McCarthy's credentials. He was already well established before coming to SF, and everyone knew we had no players in '05. Turner has been established for years. Singletary was hired because he's a HOF, was an assistant coach for us so long, and we had nothing to lose by giving him a tryout. I know nothing about Harbaugh's case though.

I know McCarthy's credentials and what they were at the time but how often does a coordinator get a HC job when the unit he led finished last and was significantly behind #31? Can you think of any other example that is close?

Yeah, Turner had established that he was a good OC and a not so good HC. Even he said he didn't expect to get another HC job in the NFL.

Your reasoning on Singletary is pretty weak. So, if he was not a HOF player he wouldn't have been hired? I don't recall ever seeing that as a reason. He was only an assistant here for 3 1/2 years. Its not like he had been here 10 years. The 49ers had a lot to lose, including stalling the franchise the next 3-4 years if they picked wrong. And, lets not forget, he almost got the Atlanta job the before the 2008 season.

Harbaugh was Philly's Special Teams Coach before becoming Baltimore's HC.
Originally posted by ptinerocket:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by Mospeed:
Now that we've had two very good defensive games during prime time I've noticed that Greg Manusky has been receiving a good amount of media attention. Of course this is a good sign for him, it means he's doing a hell of a job with what he has but all I can think about is how easily we lost McCarthy in '05 and Turner in '06 ot head coaching jobs. Does anyone else think theres a chance that another team will offer him a job as a HC?

I think its very possible, but i dont see it happening, yet anyway.

Plus i think we will compensate him well, and retain him, but this time, unlike Norv, Manusky will stay.

I really like the staff, with Sing as HC, Greg as DC, and the good assistants, like Rathman, TE Coach, Jason Tarver, Vantz Singletary, Jonnhie Lynn, Vance Joseph, Tomsula, and even Raye has done a good job.

But the OL coach and WR coach must go. Sulivan is getting up their, and we could use a hot assistant, to be WR Coach,

and also keep Mike Johnson, QB Coach, and promote him to Assistant OC or something, maybe Assistant HC.

Jerry Rice, time to show your passion for this game and this team once again!! jerry rice, WR coach 20010 of the San francisco 49ers

this would be a dream come true for me.

I know McCarthy's credentials and what they were at the time but how often does a coordinator get a HC job when the unit he led finished last and was significantly behind #31? Can you think of any other example that is close?

Yeah, Turner had established that he was a good OC and a not so good HC. Even he said he didn't expect to get another HC job in the NFL.

Your reasoning on Singletary is pretty weak. So, if he was not a HOF player he wouldn't have been hired? I don't recall ever seeing that as a reason. He was only an assistant here for 3 1/2 years. Its not like he had been here 10 years. The 49ers had a lot to lose, including stalling the franchise the next 3-4 years if they picked wrong. And, lets not forget, he almost got the Atlanta job the before the 2008 season.

Harbaugh was Philly's Special Teams Coach before becoming Baltimore's HC.

b/c our team was garbage. One bad year on a historically untalented team does not wipe out his previous years of success. Again, he was also hired because he was Favre's QB coach at one time, and GB needed a motivational factor for him not to retire.

So what if he's been mediocre? That didn't stop everyone else from hiring him, and AJ wanted to work with someone he got along with. He once again proved he was a talented OC on our untalented team, so it showed he had not lost his touch.

Singletary is special, because we saw first hand what he was capable of. The niners had nothing to lose by giving him the reigns in '08. All those concerns you mentioned were meant to be addressed by making him temporary HC and seeing what he was capable of. We knew the players liked him, so it was a chance to see if he could be an effective coach. The results in '08 speak for themselves.

One more thing, if you remember, Singletary was the go to guy to interview under the Rooney rule. It's just that he was so good at his interviews, he actually surprised owners enough to consider hiring him. I remember Jerry Jones giving Singletary many compliments after Singletary wowed him.

[ Edited by blunt_probe on Dec 15, 2009 at 18:33:20 ]
  • jaghetersofie
  • Info N/A
Even if he does go I think Tomsula could be a good DC for us as his replacement.
this is like the 20th thread about this....no he isnt going anywhere, our D isnt all that great and with the coaches available, trust me no one is gonna show manusky any interest
Originally posted by matt49er:
Now that we've had two very good defensive games during prime time I've noticed that Greg Manusky has been receiving a good amount of media attention. Of course this is a good sign for him, it means he's doing a hell of a job with what he has but all I can think about is how easily we lost McCarthy in '05 and Turner in '06 ot head coaching jobs. Does anyone else think theres a chance that another team will offer him a job as a HC?

Plus i think we will compensate him well, and retain him, but this time, unlike Norv, Manusky will stay.

I really like the staff, with Sing as HC, Greg as DC, and the good assistants, like Rathman, TE Coach, Jason Tarver, Vantz Singletary, Jonnhie Lynn, Vance Joseph, Tomsula, and even Raye has done a good job.

But the OL coach and WR coach must go. Sulivan is getting up their, and we could use a hot assistant, to be WR Coach,

and also keep Mike Johnson, QB Coach, and promote him to Assistant OC or something, maybe Assistant HC.

Jerry Rice, time to show your passion for this game and this team once again!! jerry rice, WR coach 20010 of the San francisco 49ers

i would cry
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I'd rather have him as our HC than Singletary. But I hope we can at least keep him at DC.

Originally posted by matt49er:

Man you'd be over 19,000 years old.
Considering the other potential candidates such as Holmgren, Shanahan, Cower, Manusky as the next HC in 2010 is slight. Now if the Niners make the conference finals or the big game in the coming years then all our coordinators are prime material.