LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

This years draft picks aren't doing much...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Dino
  • Veteran
nvm

[ Edited by Dino on Dec 16, 2009 at 01:09:32 ]
  • g0t0
  • Veteran
dude, this sin't madden.....
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Look around the league, other than Indy last year's draft class (mostly due having Manning) after day one hasn't been anything special or even decent. As a whole the entire class so far looks pretty weak, which makes the trade for another 1st next year look that much more brilliant. I still think McKillop is the heir to Spikes but may have to wait longer than 1st thought because Spikes still plays at a high level when healthy. Considering the options that were available to come away with 2 starters isn't bad.
Originally posted by g0t0:
dude, this sin't madden.....

How dare you , yes it is !
Crabtree is the only one I expected anything from and given the circumstances he has done very well. 3rd and 5th round draft choices rarely have an impact as rookies. We still have a pick from last year's draft and it's going to be high one too. Put Crabtree and a top ten pick together and looks like a pretty good draft.
A little jumpy in our judgement, are we?
Originally posted by TX9R:
Look around the league, other than Indy last year's draft class (mostly due having Manning) after day one hasn't been anything special or even decent. As a whole the entire class so far looks pretty weak, which makes the trade for another 1st next year look that much more brilliant. I still think McKillop is the heir to Spikes but may have to wait longer than 1st thought because Spikes still plays at a high level when healthy. Considering the options that were available to come away with 2 starters isn't bad.

Exactly and to be honest how ofetn do most of these late round guys ever make a immediate impact unless there have been major injuries. Besides Crabtree none of these guys were expected to see any significant time. I do believe that Coffee was a wasted pick though. No need on drafting a RB that is never gonna play with your 3rd pick.

[ Edited by lamontb on Dec 16, 2009 at 08:23:12 ]
At least Pascoe is the only one going places.
The niners front office adjusted to the draft as it happened....Once crab's fell to them they took him and stayed flexible the rest of the draft....They said they woulda taken Ohr/OT,[sp?] in the first otherwise. the two players they wanted in the second as i recall were Ray/OLB from USC and that CB, Brown from Penn....both of who whent just a few picks before them..... Coffee was a need pick and i never heard who they had targeted in he 4th...this year is the payoff.
Rd 1, Pick 10 (10) Crabtree, Michael WR
^Being compared to Michael Irvin 8 weeks into his rookie season.

Rd 3, Pick 10 (74) Coffee, Glen RB
^Production in rushing yards isn’t quite there yet, But hes been a reliable back up. Hes picked up a few key first downs, not to mention his contributions on special teams.

Rd 5, Pick 10 (146) McKillop, Scott ILB
^Another guy contributing to special teams, id say hes doing a pretty good job on that side. The guy makes tackles & has scored a TD. He's also gotten some looks on defense, you can tell hes green but the potential is there.

Rd 5, Pick 35 (171) Davis, Nate QB
^Judging by the preseason this pick can only turn out well for us. He's got the skills to become a starter & personally I think he will flourish in our new spread offense. If he doesn’t he'll definitely be worth keep around as a backup. Also note most rookie qbs dont get on the field much.

Rd 6, Pick 11 (184) Pascoe, Bear TE
^This was a wasted pick.

Rd 7, Pick 10 (219) Taylor, Curtis FS
^He's been solid on special teams. Hasn’t gotten much playing time on defense, mainly because hes raw but you cant deny his upside.

Rd 7, Pick 35 (244) Jean-Francois, Ricky DT
^This guy actually has seen a fair amount of looks on defense, he holds the line well, just needs to work on being more explosive. While he hasnt posted any #'s he fills out our rotation keeping our other D lineman fresh. You can argue hes produced in that sense, we definitely got good value in this late 7th round pick.

For not having a 2nd rounder, in my opinion the production has been decent.

[ Edited by GMniner805 on Dec 16, 2009 at 09:13:39 ]

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
1) Why do you expect rookies to contribute right away?

2) We traded 09 picks to have an extra 1st rounder in 2010. 2010 draft > 2009 draft. That was always the plan.

This.

I will quote myself here because this still applies to all the nonsense I am seeing in this thread.
Give them at least 2 more years before you write anybody off.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Crabtree signed 5 weeks in and he is still the only draft pick contributing. Now I know he was a first round pick but you can't keep missing in rounds 3-7 and hope to compete.

Rd 1, Pick 10 (10) Crabtree, Michael WR
Rd 3, Pick 10 (74) Coffee, Glen RB
Rd 5, Pick 10 (146) McKillop, Scott ILB
Rd 5, Pick 35 (171) Davis, Nate QB
Rd 6, Pick 11 (184) Pascoe, Bear TE
Rd 7, Pick 10 (219) Taylor, Curtis FS
Rd 7, Pick 35 (244) Jean-Francois, Ricky DT

Premature. A lot of these guys haven't had opportunities, and that's probably a good sign because it means our squad is deep enough now where we don't have to rush in rookies. Coffee looked good in the pre-season. McKillop looks like he could be a successor to Spikes. Nate Davis looked very good mopping up in preseason (though I'm rooting for Smith to keep him on the bench). Last three I couldn't say, but you come in with low expectations of 6th and 7th rounders.

I was very down on Vernon Davis, and he really turned things around. I was almost ready to throw in the towel on Smith when he got beat out by Hill, but now he's looking pretty good too. This tells me that sometimes it takes 3-4 years for these young pups to make an impact. Let's pass judgment on Coffee, McKillop and Davis (and Balmer?) in another year or two. Scott McCloughan's reputation is being rehabilitated with the late blooming VD, Smith (Baas?). In Scott We Trust. Go get a right tackle, a guard and some DBs, Scott. Break the bank for F/A Reggie Bush.
  • jaghetersofie
  • Info N/A
It was a crappy draft so we pretty much looked for projects rather than starters seeing as nobody we drafted would have started.

RJF will be a stud. He's got the swagger this team has been missing and I think he can really be a vocal leader on the field. He likes Sing and was passed on by so many teams due to "off-the-field issues" and as we all know, that's one area Sing is very good at as a HC (even you have to admit that SD).

McK has been great on special teams, I seem to see him, MRob, J. Hill, and #29 in on coverage a lot.

Coffee really hasn't had a chance but when the O-line is on a roll he is very good at finding the hole and getting smart yardage. They still need a home-run hitter to complement him for the future though (KORY SHEETS).

From what I've seen of Nate Davis both in college and in Pre-Season leads me to believe that he could be an extremely good QB for us down the line. And with Alex looking like a starter now, Nate will have some time to develop.

Pacoe was a complete waste. A complete and utter waste. They over-reacted to losing Finley to the Rams.

Oh yeah, and we got a first round pick. that's pretty good draft IMO.

1 starter (currently the best at his position)
2 back-ups
3 3rd stringers
+1 first rounder (guaranteed starter next year [thank you Carolina!])

Can you think of any other teams off the top of your head that had much better drafts than that last year?
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Mckillop is doing pretty good on special teams and he is also a very good tackler and is excellent against the run but i think he would suck at pass coverage tho but still he is a gamer

He always seems to be around the ball. He should be a very solid player. You can't expect much more from a 5th round pick.
Share 49ersWebzone