LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

This years draft picks aren't doing much...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think these guys are more of a future type picks than present.

McKillop is contributing on special teams and filled in for Spikes when he was injured. He can continue to be a special teams contributor and possibly a good starting LB if he works on his coverage skills and bulks up a bit.

Nate Davis was a project QB, lets face it. He has the potential but obviously he wasn't picked to contribute this year.

Glenn Coffee has struggled as has the Oline. Gore has too minus a few big runs here and there and he is an elite back. He is getting backup carries for Gore and is doing decent blocking. Again, future potential.

Ricky Jean Francois + Curtis Taylor both have potential and again will need to be developed. They are 7th rounders and made the team so that's good enough for me.

Crabtree alone is enough to make this draft successful. I don't really have to say much about him because if he was here from the beginning he would have had about 900 yards and 5 Tds which is about the best we have gotten from a WR since 2003 minus Bruce 1 Year and Bryant another.

Bear Pascoe is the only one that didn't work out.
Originally posted by Gore_21:

McKillop is contributing on special teams and filled in for Spikes when he was injured. He can continue to be a special teams contributor and possibly a good starting LB if he works on his coverage skills and bulks up a bit.

Nate Davis was a project QB, lets face it. He has the potential but obviously he wasn't picked to contribute this year.

Glenn Coffee has struggled as has the Oline. Gore has too minus a few big runs here and there and he is an elite back. He is getting backup carries for Gore and is doing decent blocking. Again, future potential.

Ricky Jean Francois + Curtis Taylor both have potential and again will need to be developed. They are 7th rounders and made the team so that's good enough for me.

Crabtree alone is enough to make this draft successful. I don't really have to say much about him because if he was here from the beginning he would have had about 900 yards and 5 Tds which is about the best we have gotten from a WR since 2003 minus Bruce 1 Year and Bryant another.

Pascoe is a real-head scratcher. With all the tape and workouts and the combine, how can a guy get drafted at all and simply just not cut it the way he did? Very disappointing.
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Unless they've all been released, you can't say that we "missed" on picks 3-7 only 13 games into their rookie season. That's silly.

This
I thought Coffee did well with the carries he got last night. Hit the hole very hard and while I'm not sure what he averaged, it looked substantial on most carries.

Edit: Upon further review 2.7 yds/carry isn't incredible, but I don't retract my statement. Having said that, drafting CJ Spiller certainly wouldn't upset me.

[ Edited by MertonHanks on Dec 15, 2009 at 15:52:17 ]
I have no idea where this thread is coming from....

Crabtree -- ino explanation necessary.

Coffee (3rd round). He's Gore's backup, so you wouldn't expect much, right? But he's played in 12 games and started twice. 81 carries, 11 pass receptions, 3 kickoffs returned, zero fumbles, 1 TD. He's also made 9 tackles and if you were watching closely last night you'd have seen him do a great job on blitz pickup. He is the ONLY rookie RB drafted in the first 3 rounds of 2009 that has 0 fumbles. That's good return on a 3rd round investment.

McKillop (5th) has played in all 13 games. He recovered a fumble on special teams for a TD.

Nate Davis -- If your 5th round draft pick rookie QB so much as sniffs the field as a rookie, something is dreadfully wrong.

Bear Pascoe -- a swing and a miss!

Courtney Taylor and RJF -- 7th rounders, what can you expect?
I hate it when all my draft picks don't have an impact their first year.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Crabtree signed 5 weeks in and he is still the only draft pick contributing. Now I know he was a first round pick but you can't keep missing in rounds 3-7 and hope to compete.

Rd 1, Pick 10 (10) Crabtree, Michael WR
Rd 3, Pick 10 (74) Coffee, Glen RB
Rd 5, Pick 10 (146) McKillop, Scott ILB
Rd 5, Pick 35 (171) Davis, Nate QB
Rd 6, Pick 11 (184) Pascoe, Bear TE
Rd 7, Pick 10 (219) Taylor, Curtis FS
Rd 7, Pick 35 (244) Jean-Francois, Ricky DT

If your rookie draft picks aren't playing much that means your team has some talent. Most of the time if a lot of picks come in and play a lot as a rookie it means you don't have much talent on your team.
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:

Pascoe is a real-head scratcher. With all the tape and workouts and the combine, how can a guy get drafted at all and simply just not cut it the way he did? Very disappointing.

Most teams carry 3 TEs. The 9ers only have 2 on the 53. Pasco is on an NFL roster BTW.

During OTA, people were clamoring for Pascoe to start over Davis How pathetic is that.
First off, we only had 2 picks in the first 4 rounds and only one of those two was intended to be a starter, and he is. What are you going to do? tell spikes to go sit down? hey frank we might want coffee to run a bit, do you want to go sit down?

No, this draft was mostly for depth and maybe we get lucky with one or two of them being groomed to eventually be a starter or solid back up. The highlights from this years draft is Crabtree and getting the Panthers #1 in 2010.

Considering that we didn't have a 2nd or 4th round pick I'd say our draft is looking pretty good. Crabtree has excelled. Coffee and Mckillop have both contributed on game day. What do you expect from the guys taken in rounds 5-7? I think Nate Davis was a good pick, but he needs time to develop.

I'm far more concerned about our '08 draft class. Who from that class has done jack s**t for us? Balmer sucks! Chilo sucks! These are 1-2nd round picks that have been in the league for coming on two seasons and they still haven't shown any signs of being good players. Thats what we should be talking about.
Originally posted by MertonHanks:
I thought Coffee did well with the carries he got last night. Hit the hole very hard and while I'm not sure what he averaged, it looked substantial on most carries.

Edit: Upon further review 2.7 yds/carry isn't incredible, but I don't retract my statement. Having said that, drafting CJ Spiller certainly wouldn't upset me.

He got one carry where the line let in huge penetration and he got dropped for a 3-4 yard loss. Other than that I think he performed pretty well.
Originally posted by plinius9mm:

During OTA, people were clamoring for Pascoe to start over Davis How pathetic is that.

Par for the course round' here...
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Crabtree signed 5 weeks in and he is still the only draft pick contributing. Now I know he was a first round pick but you can't keep missing in rounds 3-7 and hope to compete.

Rd 1, Pick 10 (10) Crabtree, Michael WR
Rd 3, Pick 10 (74) Coffee, Glen RB
Rd 5, Pick 10 (146) McKillop, Scott ILB
Rd 5, Pick 35 (171) Davis, Nate QB
Rd 6, Pick 11 (184) Pascoe, Bear TE
Rd 7, Pick 10 (219) Taylor, Curtis FS
Rd 7, Pick 35 (244) Jean-Francois, Ricky DT

Coffee was a waste of a pick. So was Nate since he will never get a shot to play. Pascoe was cut so that was a waste and who cares about 7th rounders.
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:

Coffee was a waste of a pick. So was Nate since he will never get a shot to play. Pascoe was cut so that was a waste and who cares about 7th rounders.

Wahh?? A fifth round QB is supposed to be a good backup, not a good starter. He lasted until the fifth because everyone knew he needed time to develop. He's the 3rd QB this year, as he should be. If he's a good backup QB in two years we won. Seriously, like really seriously, what were your expectations? Where are all these day 2 QBs from last years draft class who are tearing up the league?

As for our picks this year, most of them were later round picks, and save for Crabs, they're not playing that much. We should be ecstatic that our later round picks aren't playing that much in their rookie years. IT MEANS OUR TEAM DOESN'T SUCK.
Share 49ersWebzone