There are 373 users in the forums

Buyer Beware: The Cardinals Game Was A Fluke

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Why do some Niner fans always have to be like this after we win? There was a guy at the bar last night talking about how this game was rigged in the Niners favor, that the NFL wanted the Niners to win because its a better story for them to cover or something. I said, "Hey man, we beat you guys fair and square, we're built to beat you and we did. Get over it."

and he said, "I'm a Niner fan!"

I told him to shut up and enjoy the win. Why make excuses for a good performance?

Did you ask MadDog who he thought would be available for us in the 2nd or 3rd round as a good return man?
Most be a Card fan
  • TheHitman
  • Info N/A
Why do some Niner fans always have to be like this after we win? There was a guy at the bar last night talking about how this game was rigged in the Niners favor, that the NFL wanted the Niners to win because its a better story for them to cover or something. I said, "Hey man, we beat you guys fair and square, we're built to beat you and we did. Get over it."

I told him to shut up and enjoy the win. Why make excuses for a good performance?

It's sour grapes. He's pessimistic. Some folks are saying we're better than we are, so guys like MD respond with the opposite because it makes them feel better. I think some of us can admit we thought the Niners would lose last night. Heck... I thought we were gonna get creamed. We didn't and that's the third time now in 4 games that we beat the Cards. MD can spin that any way he wants, but it doesn't change the fact that we have their number. Plain and simple.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
It was nice to go to bed late last night with a studly victory over a hated divisional rival, especially the Arizona Cardinals. The team played well, the coaching staff seemed prepared, and the fans were pumped.

Now, back to reality.

Niners' fans have to take this game for what it is: A fluke. The Cardinals are a better team than the Niners right now, but as we know, every game is a new game, and you can only take one game at a time. This was one game. A great game for the Niners, and a stinker for the Cards.

Any victory is sweet, but the reality is that the Cardinals had no business turning the ball over seven times. Our defense is simply not that good, and their offense is simply not that bad. I hope fans do not expect the defense to be a turnover-creating machine from every game on out. This was an exception.

The same goes for Frank Gore, who looked terrific. However, let's not kid ourselves. Gore is a middle of the road running back. He's going to have a few great games, some average games, and some poor games. This was one of those special nights where everything fell into place.

The offensive line opened up huge holes, and dominated the Cardinals DL throughout the game. However, this is not our normal OL. We have struggled all season, and I doubt this one game changes the reality that our line generally stinks.

And, I sincerely doubt that our team suddenly falls back into the "smashmouth" philosophy. Who would we be kidding? We are a passing team that works best when the field is spread out. It just so happened that for one week, we could line up in a regular offensive formation and run at will.

Our CB's contained Fitzgerald and Boldin to less than 70 yards receiving TOTAL, but let's be realistic. Our passing defense was amongst the worst in the NFL going into the game, and I sincerely doubt that we are going to play weekly at a high level. It was just a wierd, wierd game.

And, finally, for those who think the Niners' pass rush has been solved, this would be another mirage. No doubt that we should salute the excellent effort of Justin Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Parys Haralson, and company. But once again, the offensive line performance this week by the Cardinals was a joke. If they played this poorly the week before, they would have surrendered 56 sacks to Jared Allen and the Vikings. They just stunk for a week, and we looked fresh.

So, while celebrating this victory, which was very sweet, the reality is that this game is indicative of the NFL. One week you can stink, and the next you can shine. The week before, the Cards whacked the Vikings and the Niners lose to the crappy Seahawks. This week, the Seahawks were crushed by the Texans 34-7, the Vikings destroyed the Bengals 30-10, and the Niners defeat a good Cardinals team.

So, I raise a toast to the David Baas', Dashon Goldson's, Ahmad Brooks', Dre Bly's, Adam Snyder's of the world this week, fully knowing that these players had terrific games. But, let's be realistic in our expectation of these guys down the road.

It is simply one week in the NFL. One wild and wacky week.

Have always respected you MD, and I do agree with the pass rush being fixed vibe and Baas finally playing well as a little too hasty, but I don't agree with most of your comments.

First, I feel the Cards are completely overrated. Great offense, but as much as their playoff run was amazing, their defense is not what it needs to be. DRC and Wilson are good, but McFadden, Rolle, and the backup corners have shown to be a sore spot on their defense, along with their inconsistent pass rush. Yes, i know this is the same team that beat the vikings and intercepted favre a few times, but I feel that was a fluke game more than us beating them. By your own logic, the Vikings hadn't had a bad loss like that, even to the Steelers it was a close one, and we were a Favre miracle away from beating them as well. At least we showed we could beat the Cards earlier in the year, and beat them worse yesterday late in the season.

As many posters have stated, only bad loss was Atl, and that was b/c of the coaching staff not game-planning well and a 90 yard TD. This is a good team thats only a steady OL and constant pass rush away from being consistent playoff contenders.

Also, we've had a history of shutting down their receivers (though I have to admit, yesterday was REALLY good) and playing well against the Cards in general. Our defense has constantly been very solid. Also, I had this feeling that the Cards try to gameplan us passing a lot more and trying to challenge our run defense, which they failed at both completely.

Our greatest strength is that we're relatively young, we have a strong head coach, and will definitely have consistency at the OC level. I'd love to have a hybrid spread/power run game b/c we CAN do both (if we fix the OL) and have the talent to pull it off. And with our stout D, no one is going to like playing us (especially the Cards)

Let me be clear, I will never call out your fanhood like other posters, b/c i know you're a great fan of the 49ers. As always, thanks for the thorough post....

Oh, almost forgot, how do you feel about our chances of picking up Lutui, mankins, or Neal in the offseason? I would like Mankins, but i think Lutui would be a pretty good 1b option.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Geez MD . . . couldn't you have at least waited 24 hours to harsh our collective mellow? I was really hoping to bask in this light until kick-off in Philly.

Everyone should bask. It is good to bask. But, overreaction on the board is always the norm.

And you are the self appointed warden to police the board and it's overboard enthusiasm after a game that we have not seen the likes of for YEARS, less then 24 hours later?

Do you take pride in being the way you are? Do you enjoy crushing the enthusiasm and pride thats so often missing from this board? Did you REALLY think your dose of reality was necessary in light of of the over abundance of positive posts on this board?

Sometimes people overreact even though they know the truth of the matter, because just for a short time it feels good to bask and forget that ugly truth.

Go ahead tho MD. You keep on enlightening our pitiful, unintelligent, feeble minds incapable of knowing about the NFL and what a championship type team looks like.
Originally posted by smileyman:
Dude go home.

I don't get fans who have nothing nice to say about their team.

Well I guess when you have all those red bars next to your name you can spew forth all sorts of crap.

Mad Dog I've been reading this forum for years now and for the most part have enjoyed a lot of your posts.

This post however seems like it comes from a defeated shellshocked fan who's grown so accustomed to FAIL that you just can't seem to give credit where credit is due.

The 9ers beat a very good AZ team 2x's this year. They also played toe to toe with the Vikes and the Colts so you tell me why the rest of us fans should just expect garbage from our team from here on out?

This secondary was very opportunistic against the Raiders back in training camp and were also yesterday. Do I expect them to get 7 turnovers a game? No. But I know they are certainly capable of such a feat.

I think some young players grew up out there last night. Brooks being chief among them.

I'd be inclined to see your point of view if the season was completely shot but it isn't. Unfortunately we don't control our own destiny but we certainly are not out of the playoff picture. Yet.

In the past 5 years we've seemed to come alive only after we were positively out of the playoff picture. We've knocked other teams out of the playoff picture and congratulated ourselves. Not this time. We won a game against a very good team when we had to and kept our playoff hopes ALIVE. See the difference?

Alex gave me pause when he threw that 2nd pick but they chose not to go conservative and went ahead and kept letting him throw. He not only took care of the ball but made some key throws IN THE 4TH QTR to keep the chains moving.

I disagree with you my friend. I think the loss against ATL was more of a fluke than this win against AZ any day.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
In one way I agree, even Roman looked good stripping the ball and recovering the ball twice. But Goldson's play was awesome he was squarely putting his head on the football. His int. was well placed jumped where he caught the ball at its peak.

I think at the end of the day you got to take your hat off to Manusky. His boys came prepared. But it is not like the 9ers could not play better. Alex Smith had accuracy problems and there were quite a few drops. May be there just starting to realize their potential. Since we are 49ers fans that idea sounds better than some unique aberration.

This reminds me of something. A few weeks ago (I can't remember which game), the Singletary was motioning to a defensive player to try to pull the ball out from the ball carrier. I gotta believe that one of the best defensive players in the history of the game has some level of technical insight that can be passed on. I'm not saying that Mike is down on the practice field, but I do think he can have an influence, especially if he directs Manusky to focus on that in practice.
Originally posted by leolion:
I would agree that the 9ers are not that good. But, then neither are the Cards (or anyone else for that matter). We are enduring an age of NFL mediocrity where wins are determined more by lucky breaks and bad officiating than by great play. If you doubt that, compare Cincy's, NO's and Pittsburgh's results between this year and 2008.

Very good point.

I think its funny how people use adjectives such as "horrible" and "great", yet the difference that separates those adjectives in the NFL is just a handful of mistakes or big plays.

Our defense has won every game for us this season, with the possible exception of Jacksonville. We have VERY good defense when compared to the rest of the league; not compared to HISTORY, but just the rest of the league.

In the end, you just have to ignore the statistics and watch them play, and come to a judgment based off of that.

Just watching how our defense plays, I think its obvious that they are a very good defense. Opposing quarterbacks look confused and running backs have little room to run.
Watching our offense, its the exact same thing, except in reverse. Our quarterback looks confused (when not in shotgun) and unsure. Our running game is stymied by numbers, safeties and linebackers are simply outnumbering everything we try to do.

The Cardinals seemed to respect our passing game a little bit more, and I think this is a big reason we were able to create some space for Gore. They were actually a LITTLE bit worried about Alex Smith.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Geez MD . . . couldn't you have at least waited 24 hours to harsh our collective mellow? I was really hoping to bask in this light until kick-off in Philly.

Everyone should bask. It is good to bask. But, overreaction on the board is always the norm.

And you are the self appointed warden to police the board and it's overboard enthusiasm after a game that we have not seen the likes of for YEARS, less then 24 hours later?

Do you take pride in being the way you are? Do you enjoy crushing the enthusiasm and pride thats so often missing from this board? Did you REALLY think your dose of reality was necessary in light of of the over abundance of positive posts on this board?

Sometimes people overreact even though they know the truth of the matter, because just for a short time it feels good to bask and forget that ugly truth.

Go ahead tho MD. You keep on enlightening our pitiful, unintelligent, feeble minds incapable of knowing about the NFL and what a championship type team looks like.

Originally posted by BrianGO:

Did you ask MadDog who he thought would be available for us in the 2nd or 3rd round as a good return man?

lol. no, but what was funny was the dude was talking to some chick when he was saying all that s**t and I saw them leave separately, so I hope that by putting him down as a s**tty fan I cock-blocked him.

What's so flukey about it?

The Niners played defense like they did on some games earlier in the year.

The offense is finally figuring some things out, but still were not consistent throughout the whole game...except for Gore. And we should not be surprised by Gore doing well if he gets on a roll.

The ball bounced the 49ers way a lot, that's true. But then again 49ers have beaten the cardinals on a regular basis lately, so I don't think it is a fluke when they kick their ass like they did.
Originally posted by leolion:
I would agree that the 9ers are not that good. But, then neither are the Cards (or anyone else for that matter). We are enduring an age of NFL mediocrity where wins are determined more by lucky breaks and bad officiating than by great play. If you doubt that, compare Cincy's, NO's and Pittsburgh's results between this year and 2008.

Word. Even the "dominant" teams (Saints and Colts) have had several nailbiters this season. Difference is that they know how to finish.
Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Originally posted by ninertico:
No, the Seattle game was a fluke, not this one. It is a matter of opinion after all. You know, like the one you had on Brooks.

Man, Warner was lucky his ankle wasn't blown apart!

Are you talking about the foot right under Brook's left shoulder? I think that is Brook's left foot???

To the contrary sir, that is Warner's right foot. Compare the design of the shoe under Brooks' shoulder to the design of Brooks' right shoe. No match. Warner is lucky he's still in one piece.
We shall see this sunday!
Originally posted by King49er:
I can't comment in his threads, I'll get 25 percent...

What do you want to say...PM me...
Share 49ersWebzone