There are 208 users in the forums

Buyer Beware: The Cardinals Game Was A Fluke

Shop Find 49ers gear online
maddog you quickly forget, we barely lost to the vikes and colts
I don't really factor in divisional games too much.

The Niners won, hooray. Are they a good team? Nope.
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Sorry, dont agree MadDog, yeah they beat a good Vikes team, but the D came out and out played the cards last nite.

We deserved it, and we arent a terrible team, we have talent, and we proved it.

The only game we werent in was the Atlanta game, all the others we have won or lost close. Thats not a bad team. Thats a team with some questions, but a team that doesnt give up or in.

most of the games we lost this year was because of self-inflicked mistakes which means they just need to be coached up a little better.

As the saying goes "practice makes perfect"
Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

-quote snipped-

So, I raise a toast to the David Baas', Dashon Goldson's, Ahmad Brooks', Dre Bly's, Adam Snyder's of the world this week, fully knowing that these players had terrific games. But, let's be realistic in our expectation of these guys down the road.

It is simply one week in the NFL. One wild and wacky week.

Its funny that you pointed those specific guys out. After bearing much of brunt of the fans frustration this season, Baas looked fantastic in this game. When he was pulling, out leading the rush, he opened up some freeways for Gore. Maybe he's just one of those players who has the ability to get up for certain games, but can't maintain that level all season.

Personally, I still think that Baas and Snyder need to be upgraded. I am optimistic about the potential of Goldson and Brooks. And I think it'd be great if the Niners could keep Bly for depth next year. However, if the Niners have a chance in the offseason to upgrade any of those positions, I think they would do it.

Finally, over the last few games, I always try to factor in the reality that a lot of teams are sitting their best players because of injury or the chance to evaluate younger players as well. So in the final couple of games, some of our guys might look better against the sub-packages.

Don't forget that Snyder and Bly are both back-ups. They played pretty well for back-ups.

If the bold part of your statement is in reference to last night, you don't know what you're talking about. The cards did not intentionally sit one player in that game.

Except for their butter-fingered running backs. Thanks for getting on their fingers.
The Cards should have been well motivated with another National audience and a chance to win a division title. The fact is that we play Arizona tough . . . so I disagree with the fluke angle.

I agree completely however that we need to be realistic in the future expectations for the likes of Brooks & Goldson.
Originally posted by 49erman5692:
maddog you quickly forget, we barely lost to the vikes and colts

Exactly. We've been in every single game this year with the exception of the Atlanta blowout. That's not to say we're ready to contend for a Super Bowl, but when you can play your schedule tough every single week and be in just about every game, you know you're starting to turn the corner and challenge for a playoff spot.

We're starting to get production from positions that used to be glaring weaknesses over the last 5 years (QB, WR, TE, pass rush, safety) so to say that the win last night was a fluke is completely off-based and REALLY missing the reality of what's happening with this still developing team.

Last night was more of a sneak preview of next year; a snapshot of how good this team can be with a few more playmakers and more disciplined, consistent play....a culmination of what Singletary has been trying to build here.

What I saw last night was a team that is starting to believe in themselves, even if some of their fans don't.

[ Edited by GoFD74 on Dec 15, 2009 at 15:02:49 ]
I think this is how our team is capable of playing any day! The problem has been inconsistency throughout the team! One day it's the o line, then the secondary, then Wr, then the coaches, penalties , then the refs, but last night was the first night where everything went right! We didn't burn timeouts, we won challenges, we were close to 50-50 run/ pass! We limited turn overs, got some balls to bounce our way! Every game is different, every team is different, but more often than not this is the team that will start to show up every game! We keep raye, give alex and crabs, and vd and (bush or spiller ) and entire training camp....BOOM!
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Geez MD . . . couldn't you have at least waited 24 hours to harsh our collective mellow? I was really hoping to bask in this light until kick-off in Philly.

Everyone should bask. It is good to bask. But, overreaction on the board is always the norm.
I don't need a reality check. I need another beer to continue to celebrate our dominant victory. Don't take nothing away from the defense MD. Arizona didn't just lay down and cough the ball up, we were hitting and flying all over the place.

Repost this next Monday. Not this week. Let us enjoy it.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
We dominted them in every aspect of the game. What do u mean fluke?

Like the fluke Minn won against us? The fluke TENN that beat us? The fluke that Seattle beat us? The fluke that GB beat us? Don't forget the fluke HB pass in INDY that beat us.

What fluke?

Well said man..

this game was similar to the Jax game, where we played reat football 2 /3 games isn't a fluke!
I thought the biggest fluke of the game was Alex Smith being off a little bit and our OLine generating a push at the line of scrimmage. I wouldn't call the game a fluke at all. This is what happens when we don't beat ourselves with stupid penalties and stupid turnovers. We're taking it on the road next week against another hot team in Philly. I want to see how the whole team reacts with a short week.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Geez MD . . . couldn't you have at least waited 24 hours to harsh our collective mellow? I was really hoping to bask in this light until kick-off in Philly.

Everyone should bask. It is good to bask. But, overreaction on the board is always the norm.

as you have proven with this thread.
to call this game a fluke is jsut not right, i agree having that many turnovers doesnt always happen, but the cardinals had a game this year where they had 6 turnovers and we had the bears game, so this isnt that big of a surprise.

I agree we are not magically this super bowl team now, but the niners are a good team we have been in almost every game and had a chance to win all these games except for the Falcons game.

There is still some work to be done, but the Niners are a good team and we will win the west next year
dude that game was huge. it probably built huge confidence in our o-line & team as a hole. which is big especially going to philly which is a team we can beat. if the raiders can beat them then there is no reason we can't! any given sunday snooch! hater on gore to. he is a top back. put him on the jets, vikes, indy he'd be a freakin freak!
Originally posted by tn9er:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Sorry, dont agree MadDog, yeah they beat a good Vikes team, but the D came out and out played the cards last nite.

We deserved it, and we arent a terrible team, we have talent, and we proved it.

The only game we werent in was the Atlanta game, all the others we have won or lost close. Thats not a bad team. Thats a team with some questions, but a team that doesnt give up or in.

most of the games we lost this year was because of self-inflicked mistakes which means they just need to be coached up a little better.

As the saying goes "practice makes perfect"

I agree, the Niners really shot themselves in the foot several times this year. In my mind, they need to upgrade the talent in a few spots, and focus on consistency, and they're within reach of being a dominant team.

[ Edited by Butter on Dec 15, 2009 at 15:08:56 ]
Share 49ersWebzone