LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Bob Ryan on around the horn just said...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If the saints or colts would have came in with there B+ or A- game and played the niners the way they played last night they they would have lost. WOW just shows you how close the niners are from being a playoff contender.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
If the saints or colts would have came in with there B+ or A- game and played the niners the way they played last night they they would have lost. WOW just shows you how close the niners are from being a playoff contender.

I think every loss besides the Falcons game has been close.
That's nice to hear. Although playoff hopes are slim, this win made it bitter/sweet (as Spike said it in an interview). We've had too many close losses this season.

Although it would've been nice to defeat the Colts, I'm still glad we swept the Cards this season.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:

6 of the 7 losses were by 7 points or less (Min, Indy, Ten, Hou, Sea, GB)

4 of those have been by 4 points or less (Min, Indy, Hou, Sea)

That is a very big indicator of exactly where your team is. In seasons past if the team was 6-7, half of those losses would have been by 10 or more. This team is very close and if learning to close out games is the largest obstacle then that speaks volumes for the positive outlook of the team.
Thats a bold statement by a national sportswriter. I hope he's right.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
That's nice to hear. Although playoff hopes are slim, this win made it bitter/sweet (as Spike said it in an interview). We've had too many close losses this season.

Although it would've been nice to defeat the Colts, I'm still glad we swept the Cards this season.

Agree, this team is not far away.
Did anyone also hear Jay Mariotti's comments? He said he believes if Alex Smith and Michael Crabtree were starting with this 49ers team at Week 1, that this would be a playoff team.

Originally posted by reasonable1:
Originally posted by Thorhawk:

6 of the 7 losses were by 7 points or less (Min, Indy, Ten, Hou, Sea, GB)

4 of those have been by 4 points or less (Min, Indy, Hou, Sea)

That is a very big indicator of exactly where your team is. In seasons past if the team was 6-7, half of those losses would have been by 10 or more. This team is very close and if learning to close out games is the largest obstacle then that speaks volumes for the positive outlook of the team.

this
we're like rocky balboa in movie 1..we can keep it close and go the distance but can't finish
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
we're like rocky balboa in movie 1..we can keep it close and go the distance but can't finish

Oh man I know... and because of that I lost 5 bucks to somebody for betting on Rocky... f**kin' 'draw' my ass.

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Oh man I know... and because of that I lost 5 bucks to somebody for betting on Rocky... f**kin' 'draw' my ass.

This week we have the big red machine(Drago) vs Philly (balboa)
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

This week we have the big red machine(Drago) vs Philly (balboa)

we just faced the big red machine. this is more like apollo.

I wanna know who he picks for the Niner/Eagle game next week. Back up that statement, Bob!
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:
Did anyone also hear Jay Mariotti's comments? He said he believes if Alex Smith and Michael Crabtree were starting with this 49ers team at Week 1, that this would be a playoff team.

I think that's a stupid thing to say. I hope he lost points for that one.

It's so easy to say that right before the end of the season. What if Smith became ineffective in the natural (not spread) formations? Then, Shaun Hill would be starting, and Smith would be done in SF.
Share 49ersWebzone