LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 245 users in the forums

Smiths Accuracy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Everyone hated on Hill for not being able to sling it downfield and always settling for dump offs that always resulted short of the first down..yet Smith is doing the same thing now

If VD isn't open on that route he always runs then he just settles for a dump off
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
I'm not endorsing Shaun Hill as the guy...but just that Alex Smith gets too many excuses....
excuses...excuses for mr. smith...

"3 Ints in the FIRST half and he wasn't benched. In comparison to a short leash Hill was on. Man, how many chances is this guy gonna get? When do the excuses run out? He DOESN'T win, folks. Get this through your thick skulls. Einstein defined insanity as, "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". Smith will NEVER be a winner. At least Shaun hill can look back to at least having a winning record with the niners. Not to mention, nobody made excuses for him. Nobody made excuses that he had practically no NFL snaps. Yet to this day, smith get's chance after chance. Hill was even snubbed out because Martz favored O'sullivan, just because they were from detroit together. Yet Hill made the best when he got the chance. Remember this people (media included). Just ask yourself this question. Which is the last Niner QB to have a winning record?"

It seems like people WANT to forget that Hill didn't have Gore for 3 games. HUGE, I mean HUGE loss. Imagine Smith without Gore.

What do you mean "imagine?"

Against GB, Gore had 7 carries. Smith had 3 TDs, 1 INT

Against JAX, Gore has 33 yards. Smith had 2 tds, 0 ints, 232 yards and a 97 rating.

Against SEA, Gore has 9 carries, 25 yards and a CRUCIAL fumble. Smith has 300 yards, 2 tds, 0 ints, and a 96 rating.

So in 3 games where Gore was pretty much a non-factor...Smith has 7 TDs and 1 INT.

Hill and Smith both have ONE win when Gore is a non-factor. Hill's victory was against the Rams. Smith against the Jags.

Its the same sht with a different smell. Smith puts up better numbers. Thats the only diff.

Hill when Gore is non-factor = 4 Tds 2 INts

Smith = 7 TDs, 1 INT (NOT counting 2nd half of Houston game).
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I'm not endorsing Shaun Hill as the guy...but just that Alex Smith gets too many excuses....

"3 Ints in the FIRST half and he wasn't benched. In comparison to a short leash Hill was on. Man, how many chances is this guy gonna get? When do the excuses run out? He DOESN'T win, folks. Get this through your thick skulls. Einstein defined insanity as, "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". Smith will NEVER be a winner. At least Shaun hill can look back to at least having a winning record with the niners. Not to mention, nobody made excuses for him. Nobody made excuses that he had practically no NFL snaps. Yet to this day, smith get's chance after chance. Hill was even snubbed out because Martz favored O'sullivan, just because they were from detroit together. Yet Hill made the best when he got the chance. Remember this people (media included). Just ask yourself this question. Which is the last Niner QB to have a winning record?"

It seems like people WANT to forget that Hill didn't have Gore for 3 games. HUGE, I mean HUGE loss. Imagine Smith without Gore.

Against JAX, Gore has 33 yards. Smith had 2 tds, 0 ints, 232 yards and a 97 rating.

Against SEA, Gore has 9 carries, 25 yards and a CRUCIAL fumble. Smith has 300 yards, 2 tds, 0 ints, and a 96 rating.

So in 3 games where Gore was pretty much a non-factor...Smith has 7 TDs and 1 INT.

Hill and Smith both have ONE win when Gore is a non-factor. Hill's victory was against the Rams. Smith against the Jags.

Its the same sht with a different smell. Smith puts up better numbers. Thats the only diff.

but it also has to do with the threat of Gore being back there...

and one more thing I think most forget about...although Gore whiffed on one play yesterday, usually he is GREAT at picking up the blitz.....when Gore wasn't back there we had Coffee and Robinson as well as that Oline...there were times that if it wasn't Chilo letting someone in, our RBs were.

Shaun didn't have Gore or Crabtree or the change of offensive philosophy for the first half of the season......even when we eventually were allowed to open up the offense and pass more with Shaun (because we gave up the lead) he was still able to move the ball without turning the ball over......it would have been nice to see us come out in the spread with Shaun....but that is the past.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Dec 21, 2009 at 2:40 PM ]
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by Cuphalffull:
Have teams started to figure out Smith and J-Raye's hybrid spread?

Smith's completion % has dropped the last 2 weeks to 54.3 (AZ #23 D) and 54.1% (PH #11 D)

His Interceptions are up. 5 of his 12 on the season were in the last 2 games.

His passer rate is at an all season low. 59.7 two weeks ago and 42.3 yesterday.

I have to wonder if due to the fact that this is a newly implemented offense and expanding it at this point in the season is challenging, teams are figuring things out and better able to scheme for it. I wonder if a full off-season to work on expanding the playbook would allow for our O to make better adjustments to counter those of the Ds we face.

We need to do something.

IMO, anytime there is a chink in the armor that is our porous O-line, Alex breaks the pocket and runs to the right. This cuts the field in half and usual only leaves one, maybe two, receivers for the D to have to cover; therefore, Alex has to either force a throw or throw it away. This was getting so predictable, I probably could have made plays against it yesterday...

J-Raye needs to see this and insert a couple plays to help the O out here and keep the D guessing...

We need to roll out to the left at least once in the game, maybe twice if there throw away plays, just to keep the D honest.

Or we could have DESIGNED roll outs like we did in 2006. Alex can be dangerous when rolling out (see the TD pass to Jason Hill in TEN, and the TD pass to Frank against JAX, the 44 yard pass to Crabtree yesterday that was a PI but still a good pass). Rolling out because you're running for your life is never going to yield anything good. And why would he roll LEFT when Trent Cole is hurdling at him from the left side??? Cmon now. Re watch please.

Re-watch what??? You didn't say a damn thing that contradicted anything I said. Stop trying to stir up s**t and just discuss the topic at hand!

If anything, maybe you should re-watch any of our other games this year and see that Alex is always breaking to the right side of the field and then look at how this affects the secondary coverage...
[ Edited by D_Niner on Dec 21, 2009 at 2:49 PM ]

You are dismissing Gore's total touches. In JAX, Gore was our leading receiver in terms of receptions: he was Smith's safety blanket. Smith had two TDs one of which was to Gore. Gore also had 5 catches in the SEA game. He lit up ARIZONA and played very well in Philly.

Smith has NOT had a win with Gore being a non-factor. Gore was the leading receiver in terms of catches in JAX and had one of Smith's 2 TDs.

With Hill, Gore averaged 1.4 in ARI. He only had 1 carry in MIN. He didn't play again until HOU.
[ Edited by Joecool on Dec 21, 2009 at 2:51 PM ]

You are dismissing Gore's total touches. In JAX, Gore was our leading receiver in terms of receptions: he was Smith's safety blanket. Smith had two TDs one of which was to Gore. Gore also had 5 catches in the SEA game. He lit up ARIZONA and played very well in Philly.

Smith has NOT had a win with Gore being a non-factor. Gore was the leading receiver in terms of catches in JAX and had one of Smith's 2 TDs.

With Hill, Gore averaged 1.4 in ARI. He only had 1 carry in MIN. He didn't play again until HOU.

Exactly... I don't have time to look them all up; but, here's the first 2 the poster mentioned...

In the GB game Gore accounted for 43% of smith's completions in the passing game including 1 TD...

In the Jaguars Game he counted for over 1/4 of Smiths completions and again one of his TDs.
I am glad that we have a bunch of NFL talent evaluators in this place. Some of you guys have too much time on your hands trying to dissect every play and also making assumptions of Alex staring down receivers, ect…….. Why don’t you volunteer some time to a worthy cause as it appears as though you have plenty of it?

Those of you that don’t want to consider reasons that Alex has struggled I would like you to consider shoving a stick up you’re a** and then go run a 5K and not blame the stick being up you’re a** for making it take you longer to complete the run. The reality is that while some excuses are just that excuses, there are excuses that are valid. Giving Alex one more year would take those excuses away. That is a reality and if you don’t want to consider that go on and hate away!!

I have seen enough to make me wonder if he was to have a complete training camp to improve the offenses chemistry and if management could solidify the OL, whether or not he could actually perform well enough to lead this team to the playoffs. Jury is still out for me. I have seen him make some great plays but at the same time he has made some bonehead plays. I have seen him make some pinpoint accurate throws but have seen him make some that are off of the mark. Bottom line we don’t know if that is him or timing with the receivers due to poor chemistry. Time will tell.

I agree with the last paragraph, but one thing that has been disappointing has been his deep ball accuracy. He seems to underthrow the deep ball often. The one to Crabs that got tipped was underthrown as Crabs also had to slow down almost to a complete stop to even try to catch it before it was tipped. The INT to VD was also underthrown.

Who knows, I think what Singletary did by sticking with him as our starter will build confidence but he REALLY needs to work on post snap reads. This past offseason, he has been working on footwork. Let us hope this off season, he is focused strictly on split second reads.

Like Montana said, the Safeties tell you the entire story of where NOT to throw the ball.

As far as I am concerned this is actually right on the money and a sign that he may be a decent to good QB in this league. For starters, under-thrown or overthrown balls generally are the result of poor timing which can be due to a lack of repetitions. It took a veteran like of Farve’s caliber a few games to develop chemistry with his receivers and some timing is still off. Secondly, it takes time in an offense to fully understand the nuances of reads that are necessary. Bottom line, I think that it would be helpful to see him perform after having time to understand and digest this offense. If next year, after a full TC as the starter and opportunity to master the O, he is struggling with the same issues I think that needs to be addressed and go in a different direction. The fact that he appears to be progressing in the things that don’t require repetition to me is encouraging.
Have teams started to figure out Smith and J-Raye's hybrid spread?

Smith's completion % has dropped the last 2 weeks to 54.3 (AZ #23 D) and 54.1% (PH #11 D)

His Interceptions are up. 5 of his 12 on the season were in the last 2 games.

His passer rate is at an all season low. 59.7 two weeks ago and 42.3 yesterday.

I have to wonder if due to the fact that this is a newly implemented offense and expanding it at this point in the season is challenging, teams are figuring things out and better able to scheme for it. I wonder if a full off-season to work on expanding the playbook would allow for our O to make better adjustments to counter those of the Ds we face.

We need to do something.

IMO, anytime there is a chink in the armor that is our porous O-line, Alex breaks the pocket and runs to the right. This cuts the field in half and usual only leaves one, maybe two, receivers for the D to have to cover; therefore, Alex has to either force a throw or throw it away. This was getting so predictable, I probably could have made plays against it yesterday...

J-Raye needs to see this and insert a couple plays to help the O out here and keep the D guessing...

We need to roll out to the left at least once in the game, maybe twice if there throw away plays, just to keep the D honest.

Or we could have DESIGNED roll outs like we did in 2006. Alex can be dangerous when rolling out (see the TD pass to Jason Hill in TEN, and the TD pass to Frank against JAX, the 44 yard pass to Crabtree yesterday that was a PI but still a good pass). Rolling out because you're running for your life is never going to yield anything good. And why would he roll LEFT when Trent Cole is hurdling at him from the left side??? Cmon now. Re watch please.

Re-watch what??? You didn't say a damn thing that contradicted anything I said. Stop trying to stir up s**t and just discuss the topic at hand!

If anything, maybe you should re-watch any of our other games this year and see that Alex is always breaking to the right side of the field and then look at how this affects the secondary coverage...

Uh well everyone is clamoring why "Alecks rohlled 2 the ryte side dood!" Well, if you watch, you would see Trent Cole was about to rape him from the left side. I wasnt trying to stir anything up and my comment wasnt directed @ you personally it was just in general.

As far as Alex's TENDENCY..yes..I agree he has that annoying tendency to feel this mystery pass rush that isnt there. He doesnt do it nearly as much as he used to but it can pop up every now and then.
Share 49ersWebzone