LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Future at Safety???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
FS: O.J Atogwe
SS: Lewis/Goldson

Rotation amongst the two individuals. Then we can draft a mid/late round pick (ala Taylor) to compete for a roster spot with Reggie Smith.

It still keeps us 3 deep at CB:

CB: Clements
CB: Spencer/Brown

and we can use a 2nd-3rd round pick on a CB to bolster our depth. Maybe add Walt Harris for a 1 year deal for special teams/dime formations.

CB: Clements/Rookie/Harris

and that's not a bad lineup.
Nate may not want to play corner but has to realize that his days as a shut down corner are finished. No QB has been afraid to throw against him for the past 2 years.

Best scenario Nate Clements as FS - still gets a chance to ball hawk, Gholdson moves to SS where he gets to blow people up. Lewis rotates and resign Dre Bly as the nickel/FS back up.

First round we draft a CB and an OT, ILB in the 2nd and an OG in the 3rd. Solidify the secondary, O-line and a replacement (eventual) for Takeo Spikes.

IMO we're a solid O-line away from being a contender. Especially if Brooks in on the verge of becoming a pass rusher!
Originally posted by GEEK:

Rotation amongst the two individuals. Then we can draft a mid/late round pick (ala Taylor) to compete for a roster spot with Reggie Smith.

and we can use a 2nd-3rd round pick on a CB to bolster our depth. Maybe add Walt Harris for a 1 year deal for special teams/dime formations.

Don't think we dry to keep Dre for at least another year? Have it go Clements/Bly with Spencer/Brown manning the other spot?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GameOver:

Don't think we dry to keep Dre for at least another year? Have it go Clements/Bly with Spencer/Brown manning the other spot?

Well when Clements comes back, we'll be three deep at CB. We also need to add a fast CB that may be able to do KR duties.

I'd bet Bly would get starting money and a secured starting gig on another team - Rams, Bucs, Browns, etc.
Originally posted by GameOver:

Well when Clements comes back, we'll be three deep at CB. We also need to add a fast CB that may be able to do KR duties.

I'd bet Bly would get starting money and a secured starting gig on another team - Rams, Bucs, Browns, etc.

But he's towards the latter end of his career...I'm sure he knows that and he knows hes only got so much left in the tank, why join a s**t show team when AT LEAST you can stick around on this one that APPEARS to be able to compete and will only get better going forward?

I dunno, I feel like we should add some youth, DEFINITELY, a couple young fast athletic corners would be nice to have, but at the same time, I'm a big Dre Bly as our nickleback supporter...its a role I feel like he can dominate in and just make opposing teams 3rd string wideouts look silly...SILLY...
Anyone who thinks we don't need Clements is crazy...he's still one of the best tackling CB's in the league. Yes, he's been beaten some...but he's also got the experience we need at the position. Did you see how Warner schooled Brown on Monday night? Yes, he got a pick, but also got burned downfield on a nice pass to Early. He's not ready for prime time yet. So, if they were to cut Nate, then who do you replace him with...Bly? He had a nice game vs Cards, but I'm not convinced he's good enough to be a starter.

I do agree Goldson has a future...Mon night was the first time I've really seen him that aggressive. I'd tend to agree SS might be a better position for him. As for Berry, no doubt he's the best FS I've seen in college...we'll see how his injury pans out. Like Crabtree, he could fall somewhat in the draft. Another consideration is to leave Goldson at FS and draft Mays to replace Lewis. We'd have two real bangers back there to bring back an intimidation factor we haven't seen in years.
There is always Taylor Mays to play SS.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

Get ready for the hate.
I know that measurables are only part of the equation, but I think the Blazers SS needs to be in the 220lbs range. Dashon would need to add about 20 lbs to fit into that range.

I realize that not all SS's need to be that big, but to take the pounding in run support down in the box, it seems like it'd help.
Originally posted by GoFD74:

Get ready for the hate.

thats too bad. I've been a "hater" of his early on (I never thought he was top 10 material), but a mid 1st rounder I think he is worth it.

I think he would fit in our system as a SS.

Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by wailers15:
Michael Lewis needs to go. he's to damn slow & is concussion prone! This draft is loaded with safeties. Berry, Thomas, Mays.

Dumb question, who's Thomas???

Earl thomas From texas! dude is sick! he's a freak. good ball hawk. next best thing to berry. infact he's lined up at cb a couple of times.
Originally posted by 5xChamp:
What about Reggie Smith? I say lets see what he gots.

lol, he will get cut next yr.
Originally posted by GoFD74:

Get ready for the hate.

thats too bad. I've been a "hater" of his early on (I never thought he was top 10 material), but a mid 1st rounder I think he is worth it.

I think he would fit in our system as a SS.

Agreed. I think he has the talent to become an Adrian Wilson-type of player, though he'll need to improve his ball-hawking abilities to be on par with AW. Still, pairing him with Goldson would give us an incredible safety tandem.
Originally posted by Butter:
Can someone please break down the cap implications if the Niners cut Michael Lewis?

i am not 100% positive. but there is no cap implications. it is all roster bonuses year to year. every year by a certain date he is due like 2.5 mil.

i am 99.9% positive there is no significant cap implications. it (like all contracts) was a marvelously done contract that rewards teh players but protects the franchise.
Share 49ersWebzone