LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

Future at Safety???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • frankeej
  • Info N/A
nate clements was on the murph and mac showed and said he would not play safety,because he is a corner. so it sounds like moving him would be an issue. i personaly think he needs to move. just look what rodey whit from atlanta did to him amd johnson from the texan. he realy has lost a step.
We wont draft berry or the other guy, so i wouldnt hold your breath.

I think they will give dashon another year, and probably give reggie smith a chance to compete.

Besides they gave mark roman so many 2nd chances.
Originally posted by frankeej:
nate clements was on the murph and mac showed and said he would not play safety,because he is a corner. so it sounds like moving him would be an issue. i personaly think he needs to move. just look what rodey whit from atlanta did to him amd johnson from the texan. he realy has lost a step.

Moving Clements to FS could turn into the Mike Rumph experiment part II.

Welcome to the Webzone frankeej.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
The Niners are not going to move Clements to FS. He doesnt want to play there, and they are paying him way too much to be a safety.

I'm 100% sure the team will ask him for a pay cut, I don't think it's an issue!

I'm pretty sure giving Clements a pay cut and moving him to a position he doesnt want to play will turn into an issue.

Link to the quote that Nate doesn't want to play safety please.....

I have never heard that and scour the net for any Niner news everday. Unless you have proof, you are assuming and that can make one look like an ass.

somebody posted it one day last week. forgot what thread it was in but somebody was interviewing Nate and asked him about moving to FS and his answer was i'm a CB.

I stand corrected.

Michael Lewis needs to go. he's to damn slow & is concussion prone! This draft is loaded with safeties. Berry, Thomas, Mays.
Originally posted by wailers15:
Michael Lewis needs to go. he's to damn slow & is concussion prone! This draft is loaded with safeties. Berry, Thomas, Mays.

Dumb question, who's Thomas???
The Niners are not going to move Clements to FS. He doesnt want to play there, and they are paying him way too much to be a safety.

paycut WTF.
alex smith got a paycut because it was a different situation.
Nate is our #1 CB. there is no way this talk will ever take place.
Originally posted by SFCH3DDERZ:

paycut WTF.

Do you think that Nate was earning #1 CB money prior to his injury? Regardless of what position he plays next year, I don't think he deserves it. Big salaries are designed to be restructured, that's why the get such big guaranteed money up front.
Good Lord! a couple of analyst think moving Clements to safety is a good idea and now everyone thinks its a must. Goldson is playing at a high level and is probable one of the top 5 safeties in the NFC. Lewis is a solid but not great SS due to his sometimes suspect pass coverage, but I don't think moving Nate to safety would produce better results than Lewis at safety.

I think our Safety play thus far this year warrants not using a first round pick on one. Clements will be a corner for us next year or not be on the roster, end of story. Harris may not be back due to the fact that he is old and Spencer is playing well. Now all that being said, do I think the we approach Nate about a salary cut? I hope so.

When you pay a guy prow bowl money, you expect him to make enough plays to go to the pro bowl. His play has been up and down and he has shown against speed WR's he ether gets burned bad or gives them a 15-20 yard cushion. A guy who is still holding a contract that makes him one of the top paid defensive players in the NFL should not have this problem.

[ Edited by 49Gorillas on Dec 15, 2009 at 16:12:20 ]
Originally posted by SFCH3DDERZ:

paycut WTF.

The coaches demoted Nate prior to the Indy game and started Tarell Brown instead. Nate is paid like he is a Pro Bowl CB, but has played slightly above average ball throughout his 49ers tenure while also going through nightmare games such as TO in 08 and the Roddy White debacle this year. Obviously you havent read this Clements article before posting: http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/10/browns-promotion-prompts-quesions-about-clements-future.html

What about Reggie Smith? I say lets see what he gots.
keep Goldston, replace Lewis as a starter (keep as a backup) Clements doesn't need to move to S for 2-3 years.
A few mocks have the 9ers taking CB Haden and an OT in the first round and I would be happy with that. Clements as the #2 CB (if Haden develops quickly) would be just fine. Then a FA safety or later in the draft would make the upgrade complete. The rest of the draft could concentrate on DE/OLB and OG.

[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 15, 2009 at 21:14:29 ]
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Berry could be the 2nd or 3rd player chosen overall...he'll be long gone before we pick.

You probably said that about Crabtree last year! It's very possible and even if we gotta trade up really!

You got to believe just like I did when Crabtree fell to our laps!

Berry will run at the combine, barring injury. That's why he'll go earlier. Crabtree only fell because of two things: No combine due to the foot injury, and Mangini's comments.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Berry could be the 2nd or 3rd player chosen overall...he'll be long gone before we pick.

You probably said that about Crabtree last year! It's very possible and even if we gotta trade up really!

You got to believe just like I did when Crabtree fell to our laps!

Berry will run at the combine, barring injury. That's why he'll go earlier. Crabtree only fell because of two things: No combine due to the foot injury, and Mangini's comments.

But, I don't see how he gets drafted top 3. You got tampa bay and they desperately need DT and Suh is the best player in the draft as of right now. Then you got Rams who without question will draft a QB and then Lions who drafted FS last year. Cleveland will likely draft a QB as well. KC is most likely the slot, but they have huge holes on OL, WR, and LB - can they really afford not to protect Cassell again this year with top OL likely available at their spot?? Bill will draft a QB or OT - so I wouldn't be surprised if Berry falls to 7-8 slot.
Share 49ersWebzone