There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Future at Safety???

Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
FS - Eric Berry
SS - Dashon Goldson

This would be ideal, but I doubt it will happen.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
The Niners are not going to move Clements to FS. He doesnt want to play there, and they are paying him way too much to be a safety.

I'm 100% sure the team will ask him for a pay cut, I don't think it's an issue!

I'm pretty sure giving Clements a pay cut and moving him to a position he doesnt want to play will turn into an issue.

Link to the quote that Nate doesn't want to play safety please.....

I have never heard that and scour the net for any Niner news everday. Unless you have proof, you are assuming and that can make one look like an ass.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
The Niners are not going to move Clements to FS. He doesnt want to play there, and they are paying him way too much to be a safety.

I'm 100% sure the team will ask him for a pay cut, I don't think it's an issue!

I'm pretty sure giving Clements a pay cut and moving him to a position he doesnt want to play will turn into an issue.

Link to the quote that Nate doesn't want to play safety please.....

I have never heard that and scour the net for any Niner news everday. Unless you have proof, you are assuming and that can make one look like an ass.

somebody posted it one day last week. forgot what thread it was in but somebody was interviewing Nate and asked him about moving to FS and his answer was i'm a CB.
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Berry could be the 2nd or 3rd player chosen overall...he'll be long gone before we pick.

You probably said that about Crabtree last year! It's very possible and even if we gotta trade up really!

You got to believe just like I did when Crabtree fell to our laps!

Sure, if Berry has surgery on his foot and can't run at the combine (like Mike), then it's a possibility. Failing something dramatic like that, don't count on it.

We do have the ammo to trade up remember. We are a few players short to become great and I see the possibility of trading up in this draft.

Eric Berry in 2010!

If we were a FS away from being Super Bowl contenders, I'd feel good about trading up for Eric Berry. As much as I love that kid, I'd rather use both of those 1st rounders and add to the overall talent base...specifically, I think grabbing someone like CJ Spiller with the 1st pick and either Joe Haden (CB) or Earl Thomas (FS) adds more to this team than just 1 great player.

But that's just me....I wouldn't cry if we found a way to draft Berry.

I agree wholeheartedly. Back in the day, we could afford to draft "hurt" 1st rounders in the fourth round, rehab them for a year and play them the following year. Granted the rules have changed so that this type of stockpiling can't occur, but the point is we just don't have that type of luxury yet. Right now we need all the help we can get.
Originally posted by dj43:
The most likely scenario, IMO, is that Lewis will be the odd man out. He has never been a very good cover guy. His strength is run support, but he is getting a bit older, has a concussion history, and has higher salary.

Therefore, I see the 49ers keeping Clements but with a reduced salary at the corner and moving Goldson to SS and drafting a FS rather than trading up to draft Berry. (Mays is not a good cover guy. Better keep Lewis than drafting Mays) To get Berry it would cost the better of our two current 1st round picks and a third, plus the salary implications would be FAR greater than getting a lesser FS later on the first day.

The other option on a similar theme would be if there were to be a good cover SS that popped up in the draft, then keep Goldson at SS.

What if they moved Clement to FS and Goldson to SS? The way that Goldson likes to blow people up, he might do well in that position. My main concern is if he has enough bulk to take that kind of pounding consistently in run support. I know he likes to lay the lumber on people, but at a svelte 200 lbs, he might break down over the course of the season. The up side though is that the Niners could have two safeties that could make plays on the ball.

This would leave the Niners free to draft a cover CB, which is something they could really use.

Also, can anyone break down the cap implications of cutting Lewis?
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
FS - Eric Berry
SS - Dashon Goldson

This would be the ideal situation.
Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by dj43:
The most likely scenario, IMO, is that Lewis will be the odd man out. He has never been a very good cover guy. His strength is run support, but he is getting a bit older, has a concussion history, and has higher salary.

Therefore, I see the 49ers keeping Clements but with a reduced salary at the corner and moving Goldson to SS and drafting a FS rather than trading up to draft Berry. (Mays is not a good cover guy. Better keep Lewis than drafting Mays) To get Berry it would cost the better of our two current 1st round picks and a third, plus the salary implications would be FAR greater than getting a lesser FS later on the first day.

The other option on a similar theme would be if there were to be a good cover SS that popped up in the draft, then keep Goldson at SS.

What if they moved Clement to FS and Goldson to SS? The way that Goldson likes to blow people up, he might do well in that position. My main concern is if he has enough bulk to take that kind of pounding consistently in run support. I know he likes to lay the lumber on people, but at a svelte 200 lbs, he might break down over the course of the season. The up side though is that the Niners could have two safeties that could make plays on the ball.

This would leave the Niners free to draft a cover CB, which is something they could really use.

Also, can anyone break down the cap implications of cutting Lewis?
Goldson would have to bulk up to endure the pounding. That would be an issue. He seems to have the frame to add 10-12 pounds but that might still be light for that duty. Though I offered that suggestion, I have never been convinced that is the best solution. I offered it because he has not become the ball hawk we need and is still getting fooled more than he should this far into the season.

I am not in favor of moving Clements to safety for two reasons;
1. He is one of the best run-support corners in the league, and above average as a cover guy.

2. He has made carefully guarded statements in the past that clearly indicate he does NOT want to play safety.

The best way to go would be to draft a SS. We could use the lesser of the 1st rounders and should get a good one.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by dj43:
The most likely scenario, IMO, is that Lewis will be the odd man out. He has never been a very good cover guy. His strength is run support, but he is getting a bit older, has a concussion history, and has higher salary.

Therefore, I see the 49ers keeping Clements but with a reduced salary at the corner and moving Goldson to SS and drafting a FS rather than trading up to draft Berry. (Mays is not a good cover guy. Better keep Lewis than drafting Mays) To get Berry it would cost the better of our two current 1st round picks and a third, plus the salary implications would be FAR greater than getting a lesser FS later on the first day.

The other option on a similar theme would be if there were to be a good cover SS that popped up in the draft, then keep Goldson at SS.

What if they moved Clement to FS and Goldson to SS? The way that Goldson likes to blow people up, he might do well in that position. My main concern is if he has enough bulk to take that kind of pounding consistently in run support. I know he likes to lay the lumber on people, but at a svelte 200 lbs, he might break down over the course of the season. The up side though is that the Niners could have two safeties that could make plays on the ball.

This would leave the Niners free to draft a cover CB, which is something they could really use.

Also, can anyone break down the cap implications of cutting Lewis?
Goldson would have to bulk up to endure the pounding. That would be an issue. He seems to have the frame to add 10-12 pounds but that might still be light for that duty. Though I offered that suggestion, I have never been convinced that is the best solution. I offered it because he has not become the ball hawk we need and is still getting fooled more than he should this far into the season.

I am not in favor of moving Clements to safety for two reasons;
1. He is one of the best run-support corners in the league, and above average as a cover guy.

2. He has made carefully guarded statements in the past that clearly indicate he does NOT want to play safety.

The best way to go would be to draft a SS. We could use the lesser of the 1st rounders and should get a good one.

I agree. Upgrading the SS position does seem like it'd be the easiest course of action. I don't think they need to use a #1 pick though. What round to SS usually get drafted in. Aside from Landry in Washington, I can't think of a SS that gets drafted really early (at least not off the top of my head).
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
The Niners are not going to move Clements to FS. He doesnt want to play there, and they are paying him way too much to be a safety.

I'm 100% sure the team will ask him for a pay cut, I don't think it's an issue!

I'm pretty sure giving Clements a pay cut and moving him to a position he doesnt want to play will turn into an issue.

If he takes that approach he is not a team player and I would cut him. It's about the team not him and she clearly has lost a step and we did not miss him last night either. Let him pick his poison we don't really need him.

She?

Oh, yes we do need him. We may not
miss him for one game but he is still a
fine corner. I just don't understand you people who think he is dispensible. We are weak in the defensive backfield, the fantasy of drafting Berry is just that, whoever we actually do draft is going to take at least a year's development and you want to chase our best db out of town.

Right.
The Niners are going to draft an OT with their first pick, unless something amazing occurs. The Niners didn't address their OL last off-season and they are paying for it, they will not make the same mistake again. They need a better OL to make their QB better and allow them to actually run the ball.

The second need will most likely be a secondary position like Joe Haden or S, long shot Berry, short shot Earl Thomas.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
The Niners are going to draft an OT with their first pick, unless something amazing occurs. The Niners didn't address their OL last off-season and they are paying for it, they will not make the same mistake again. They need a better OL to make their QB better and allow them to actually run the ball.

The second need will most likely be a secondary position like Joe Haden or S, long shot Berry, short shot Earl Thomas.

I don't believe so. with Carolina pick BPA. Our own, best right tackle available.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
The Niners are going to draft an OT with their first pick, unless something amazing occurs. The Niners didn't address their OL last off-season and they are paying for it, they will not make the same mistake again. They need a better OL to make their QB better and allow them to actually run the ball.

The second need will most likely be a secondary position like Joe Haden or S, long shot Berry, short shot Earl Thomas.
That is true but somewhat of a hindsight look. From everything we read, they were figuring Blindside Michael Oher would be theirs, and he would have been a great pick. Then Crabtree fell to them and I am now a firm believer he is very special player who will have a Pro Bowl career.

As a backup, they signed Marvel Smith upon doctors concurrence but we know how that turned out.

Good news, bad news.

But I certainly agree that their first pick will be an OT, especially given the recent developments with the trio of Lawson, Brooks and Haralson as pass rushers.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
FS - Eric Berry
SS - Dashon Goldson

This would be the ideal situation.

i'll scream just like i screamed like a 8 year old girl when we got crabtree
Can someone please break down the cap implications if the Niners cut Michael Lewis?
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
The Niners are not going to move Clements to FS. He doesnt want to play there, and they are paying him way too much to be a safety.

I'm 100% sure the team will ask him for a pay cut, I don't think it's an issue!

I'm pretty sure giving Clements a pay cut and moving him to a position he doesnt want to play will turn into an issue.

If he takes that approach he is not a team player and I would cut him. It's about the team not him and she clearly has lost a step and we did not miss him last night either. Let him pick his poison we don't really need him.


I disagree I think we do need him and he had only one bad game and that was against the falcons and let's face it I don't honk any1 had a good game that week other than that he shut down both Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson 2 of the best wr inthe league