LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

Future at Safety???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Free Safety Position

1) Deshon Goldson: Has been a ball hawking safety, in TC in the past. This season he has shown flashes, but has still been inconsistent.

2) Nate Clement: There has been talk of sliding him over to FS. The Niner's CB's could use an upgrade, and Clement was inconsistent at CB prior to the injury. With Goldson showing signs of life, this could be a hot position battle in TC next year.

3) Draft: Eric Berry is the next big thing, but unless something crazy happens, he should probably be off the board. But IF the Niner's picked him up, they'd have Goldson, Clement, and Berry in the mix. Could someone please break down how that would work? Would the Niners either leave Clement at CB, or just cut him? With Goldson/Clement, do the Niner's really need to draft another FS, not to mention Reggie Smith, if he can ever stay healthy.

Strong Safety
This is where I think the Niner's need the biggest upgrade. Lewis has concussion issues, and Roman isn't getting any younger. Both Lewis and Roman will probably be good for the short term, but it seems like if the Niners could find a big thumper that could be groomed to take over, it'd be a smart move.

Draft: The biggest name that I've seen is Taylor Mays, but I just do not see any reason to spend a draft pick that high on him. Are there any other SS's in this draft that would be an upgrade?

FA: IF the Niners took the cap hit and cut Lewis, are there any FA upgrades that'd be available?
Berry could be the 2nd or 3rd player chosen overall...he'll be long gone before we pick.
The Niners are not going to move Clements to FS. He doesnt want to play there, and they are paying him way too much to be a safety.
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Berry could be the 2nd or 3rd player chosen overall...he'll be long gone before we pick.

You probably said that about Crabtree last year! It's very possible and even if we gotta trade up really!

You got to believe just like I did when Crabtree fell to our laps!
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
The Niners are not going to move Clements to FS. He doesnt want to play there, and they are paying him way too much to be a safety.

I'm 100% sure the team will ask him for a pay cut, I don't think it's an issue!

True that. in that case give Reshad Jones. Safety Georgia BullDawgs
I think we need another safety back there with more speed & range. Michael Lewis has been good, but we need youth, speed & range back there.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:

You probably said that about Crabtree last year! It's very possible and even if we gotta trade up really!

Sure, if Berry has surgery on his foot and can't run at the combine (like Mike), then it's a possibility. Failing something dramatic like that, don't count on it.

Sure, if Berry has surgery on his foot and can't run at the combine (like Mike), then it's a possibility. Failing something dramatic like that, don't count on it.

We do have the ammo to trade up remember. We are a few players short to become great and I see the possibility of trading up in this draft.

Eric Berry in 2010!
FS - Eric Berry
SS - Dashon Goldson

I'm pretty sure giving Clements a pay cut and moving him to a position he doesnt want to play will turn into an issue.

I'm pretty sure giving Clements a pay cut and moving him to a position he doesnt want to play will turn into an issue.

If he takes that approach he is not a team player and I would cut him. It's about the team not him and she clearly has lost a step and we did not miss him last night either. Let him pick his poison we don't really need him.

We do have the ammo to trade up remember. We are a few players short to become great and I see the possibility of trading up in this draft.

Eric Berry in 2010!

If we were a FS away from being Super Bowl contenders, I'd feel good about trading up for Eric Berry. As much as I love that kid, I'd rather use both of those 1st rounders and add to the overall talent base...specifically, I think grabbing someone like CJ Spiller with the 1st pick and either Joe Haden (CB) or Earl Thomas (FS) adds more to this team than just 1 great player.

But that's just me....I wouldn't cry if we found a way to draft Berry.
Originally posted by tohara3:
I think we need another safety back there with more speed & range. Michael Lewis has been good, but we need youth, speed & range back there.

@0:10
  • dj43
The most likely scenario, IMO, is that Lewis will be the odd man out. He has never been a very good cover guy. His strength is run support, but he is getting a bit older, has a concussion history, and has higher salary.

Therefore, I see the 49ers keeping Clements but with a reduced salary at the corner and moving Goldson to SS and drafting a FS rather than trading up to draft Berry. (Mays is not a good cover guy. Better keep Lewis than drafting Mays) To get Berry it would cost the better of our two current 1st round picks and a third, plus the salary implications would be FAR greater than getting a lesser FS later on the first day.

The other option on a similar theme would be if there were to be a good cover SS that popped up in the draft, then keep Goldson at SS.
Share 49ersWebzone