LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

Arnaz Battle should retire

Shop Find 49ers gear online
nothing personal just time to go
He's never been good and he's even worse now. We cut our return man to keep him. That move cost us 2 games. Playoffs would honestly be very realistic this year if we didn't do that.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
nothing personal just time to go
  • dj43
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's never been good and he's even worse now. We cut our return man to keep him. That move cost us 2 games. Playoffs would honestly be very realistic this year if we didn't do that.

It now appears Rossum was not fully recovered from his injury and has seen no PT since he left.

Yes, not having a top-flite return guy cost us but I don't think you can make the case they cut Rossum to move Battle into that role. It now looks like the cut Rossum to get rid of an emerging problem who was no longer productive at all. All he could do was return, nothing else. Battle is on all the return units as well as being the #3 WR option pre-Crabtree.

Put in time context; Battle was much more productive AT THE TIME, than Rossum.
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by dj43:
Why all the Battle hate? Whose roster spot is he taking?

The guy has been a warrior for this team during some of the worst years of this franchise. He has played through injury and done everything he was asked to do.

True, he may not be around next year as he has a fair degree of arthritic progession in his knee but he still works hard on ST and is an excellent locker room presence and well respected by teammates.

Again, what future HOFer is he keeping off the roster by staying?

Allen Rossum

that future HOFer was recently cut by Dallas...

Link

I didnt read the link, but didnt he also get injured?
  • dj43
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Originally posted by Chief:
Why all the Battle hate? Whose roster spot is he taking?

The guy has been a warrior for this team during some of the worst years of this franchise. He has played through injury and done everything he was asked to do.

True, he may not be around next year as he has a fair degree of arthritic progession in his knee but he still works hard on ST and is an excellent locker room presence and well respected by teammates.

Again, what future HOFer is he keeping off the roster by staying?

Allen Rossum

that future HOFer was recently cut by Dallas...

Link

I didnt read the link, but didnt he also get injured?
As I recall, he was never fully healthy, either before he left or when Dallas picked him up.

There were also rumors of work ethic and attitude problems with Rossum. Neither of those will be tolerated by Singletary.
  • mod
  • Veteran
in the 2 years that i've been here i've noticed that the webzone needs a player to hate on at all times. earlier it was rossum, and the zone got its wish.

Now Battle is forced to be a punt returner which he obviously isnt good at and the zone is jumping on his case. Until a better WR comes along I see no reason to cut him. I just dont understand the logic sometimes. Many of you wanted to cut Roman but he's been fine as a backup.

And why the f**k should he retire??? If he is cut I'm sure he'll find a job as a 4th/5th WR for any other team.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

It now appears Rossum was not fully recovered from his injury and has seen no PT since he left.

Yes, not having a top-flite return guy cost us but I don't think you can make the case they cut Rossum to move Battle into that role. It now looks like the cut Rossum to get rid of an emerging problem who was no longer productive at all. All he could do was return, nothing else. Battle is on all the return units as well as being the #3 WR option pre-Crabtree.

Put in time context; Battle was much more productive AT THE TIME, than Rossum.

I would love to have a guy who "all he can do is return." We don't have anybody like that now. And we lose games as a result. And hand fantastic field position over to opponents as a result as well.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
The guy has toughed out for us through the down years and for a 6th round QB turned WR, he has done well for himself, but it's time now to part ways. I don't think anybody will disagree otherwise.

-9fA
I'll be very surprised if he's resigned.

• dj43
Originally posted by modninerfan:
in the 2 years that i've been here i've noticed that the webzone needs a player to hate on at all times. earlier it was rossum, and the zone got its wish.

Now Battle is forced to be a punt returner which he obviously isnt good at and the zone is jumping on his case. Until a better WR comes along I see no reason to cut him. I just dont understand the logic sometimes. Many of you wanted to cut Roman but he's been fine as a backup.

And why the f**k should he retire??? If he is cut I'm sure he'll find a job as a 4th/5th WR for any other team.
You being new here, came after Battle's first two years in which he was a very good punt returner. He was moved out of that role when he also became the best WR on the team.

Since then he had a knee injury that became arthritic. He doesn't practice every day but still seems to have some burst but the blocking has not been very good either. ASi looked at tapes, there just hasn't been much room for anybody to run this year.

I'm not hating on him, I just don't want him on the team. He was good as a punt returner at one point but the time has past. Retire or go to division team that way we can always expect a gimme fumbles.
I don't think the dude needs to retire, but I'll be surprised to see him back next season. Having a decent punt returner has been a glaring need all season, I fully expect the team to address that need in the off-season. Battle has had WAY TOO many fumbles returning punts and looks down right shakey back there.

His production as a WR could easily be replaced by a late round draft pick...........or by Brandon Jones for that matter. As of late, he appears to be last on the WR depth chart as Hill and Jones have split the 3rd WR duties. Battle appears to have been phased out, he hasn't had a catch since week 5.

Battle played well for us during the 06 and 07 season, but now we have some decent talent at WR. His services are no longer needed IMO.

I'll always remember that Monday night game in 07, he ran that reverse for the winning TD. AWESOME.

[ Edited by AKfanster on Dec 15, 2009 at 14:04:13 ]
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
I've always hated Battle.

[ Edited by horsecore on Dec 15, 2009 at 14:06:36 ]
Share 49ersWebzone