LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 364 users in the forums

Niners still uncertain about Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I too wanted him to bust that D for over 300 yds and 5 TDs, but it didn't happen on a pretty good D. The fact is that he did what he needed to do, win a game. He got us those two TDs to separate us from AZ in the first half especially with that drive ending with a Crabtree TD...that was what I was hoping to see more of during the second half. Instead, Alex was inconsistent coupled by great AZ D play.

Still, take a look at that fourth quarter. There was a time we need Alex to drive and take time off the clock and he did. Not perfect, but enough to keep Warner and dorks off the field. Alex managed the game, well. He made plays when he needed to especially on third downs making two...he took the field with over 9 min to play and kept it for five precious minutes...if Snyder doesn't false start on that last series, who knows.

Point being, he needed to do that...run out the clock and not TO. Let Gore do the work...he did. I am sure he would love to have some passes back and the WRs and Davis would like to have some drops back, but the fact is given everything involved...

...this cat will be our 2010 starter allowing us to focus on other needs on our team while allowing him to gel, finally, in one system over the offseason with his new toys. At the same time, I believe we go after linemen on both sides of the ball. Two new OLs in T. Williams and Iupati while grabbing Mt. Cody with the second.

Not glamorous, but that is some serious beef! I see the importance of the trenches especially to protect our new 2010 QB.

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by miked1978:
I support Smith 100% but I'm not sold on him as a franchise QB. I honestly think he's an average QB at best.

Unfortunately "average" is a big upgrade to the play we have received from the quarterback position since Jeff Garcia left town, and even though a pro bowler he was a big drop off from those two guys before him. I say stick with Alex and let's use the draft picks to fix the O-line and get a pass rusher. It might be wise to trade down and get multiple 2s and 3s for those 2 first rounders. I think we are set at the skill positions, and that is what people usually want early picks for.
Originally posted by dmax:
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by Antix:
I agree with Scot. If there's a QB they want they gotta take him. I like Smith and think he can start for us next year, but he's not good enough for me to say "nah, QB is set". He would have to throw 12 tds and 3 picks the rest of the season for me to believe that (won't happen).

We got Davis as a development and Smith looks like he can lead us as long as he can continue to get better. He's got three games left and he's auditioning just like Singletary last year. We'll see

Draft another QB???Are you serious???
If Scott DOES NOT upgrade the OL then he should be fired.Draft all the QB's you want and it won't mean shyt unless the OL is fixed.

And who says Alex has 3 games left and is auditioning???
Are some of you guys watching 49ers football at all?
Alex has already showed he could be the QB and will be THE STARTER IN 2010,PERIOD

On offense: keep Raye,fix OL,Alex,Gore,Crabtree,Davis,etc working together from day 1 in tc next year and they will no doubt be good and only get better.

100% truth in this post

Thanks

I agree with Scot. If there's a QB they want they gotta take him. I like Smith and think he can start for us next year, but he's not good enough for me to say "nah, QB is set". He would have to throw 12 tds and 3 picks the rest of the season for me to believe that (won't happen).

We got Davis as a development and Smith looks like he can lead us as long as he can continue to get better. He's got three games left and he's auditioning just like Singletary last year. We'll see

If Scott DOES NOT upgrade the OL then he should be fired.Draft all the QB's you want and it won't mean shyt unless the OL is fixed.

Alex has already showed he could be the QB and will be THE STARTER IN 2010,PERIOD

On offense: keep Raye,fix OL,Alex,Gore,Crabtree,Davis,etc working together from day 1 in tc next year and they will no doubt be good and only get better.

100% truth in this post

Thanks

Great post brotha

Are some of you guys watching 49ers football at all?[/b]
Alex has already showed he could be the QB and will be[b] THE STARTER IN 2010,PERIOD

No they dont watch. They play Madden and pay attention strictly to fantasy stats. They also secretly dont even watch games and catch the highlights on ESPN/NFL Network afterwards then say..."see dood... only 144 yahrdz!!! he suxorz!"
Originally posted by Jersey9er:

100% truth in this post

Thanks

Great post brotha

Great post! This is going to be a very big draft & offseason for this franchise!
Did any of you guys read this article of raye on smith:

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2009/12/rayes-ideal-off.html

any thoughts
Tico, all we need is for you to whisper those sweet nothings in mcClown's ear. You know, rather than hearing the 9ers are still uncertain about smith, i would propose ,
"McClown has to have team win 3 more games to keep his job." Now there is something I could get into.

This is repetitious, but if Clown ( i think Cloughan is a misspelling) even remotely thot about drafting a qB with one of our top 5 or 6 choices, he should be canned. He has had 5 yrs and he has produced:

no winning season

top talent of p-52, gore, staley, maybe crabs, maybe alex, and, and....unh, well...

For a GM to have no winning season in 5 yrs, and have the tiny talent above, compounded with 5 OCs in 5 yrs(8 in 8 overall), no decent QB coach for the #1 pick in the draft 5 yrs ago, crappy OL coaching, same for receivers coaching, horrible OCing, worse OL coaching,
... need i go on? Probably my one biggest beef with clown, who i used to defend, but no longer----is his total complete incredible indifference to the OL. Yeah he pulled a dandy with staley, but his attitude of "we can always pick up an OL in the 2nd or 3rd rd, and paying high draft $ to OL is foolish"...had just killed us, and literally nearly killed that #1 pick in the draft, alex.

As i see it, scot has his whole reputation riding on alex, and he has done virtually none of the things he should have to help coach him, teach him, protect him, etc. jeez, he was scot's pick...and then he forgot about him. That is unforgivable, and if some moron drafts a qB with any of our high picks, then scot is just dead meat, waiting to be fired...and i don' t care if the QB was the best pick in the last 20 yrs.
ROF(rule of football): protect your QB, and scot gets F on this issue.

So, "Alex has to play well last 3 games to keep his job with 49ers?"...Hah, don't make me laugh. King should have asked clown what he thot his own chances were for staying with the team( since then, jed has said both clown and bigmike will be here next yr, according to KNBR.)
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Did any of you guys read this article of raye on smith:

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2009/12/rayes-ideal-off.html

any thoughts

Why should we be surprised? You know, at first, I didn't feel comfortable with Raye at cordinator but you know what, he has been pretty decent, and Mike Johnson is awesome as well. Smith will be our starter in 2010 without question. I stated 6 weeks ago that if we finish at least 8-8 and Smith has a rating of 85 his season would be considered a success. So far, he is on track.
Share 49ersWebzone