LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

Niners still uncertain about Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
One int was Dockett making a play. The other pic was said to be a miscommunication with Walker and Smith.

Lets give him a break. He made some nice, confident throws yesterday. The one to Crabs was a beute. In the end Smith won it. Don't forget that he made some clutch throws at the end of the game to seal it on some 3rd downs.
Alex WILL BE THE STARTER in 2010. Look at it like this.

~ Hill has limitations we have seen.
~ Nate Davis always was overrated for playing well against 4th stringers in Preaseason.
~ Locker is not coming out in the draft.
~ Picking a rookie in the 1st round will have the same growing pains. Which means it will be 2012 - 2013 before that player is any good. It will take 3 - 4 years. Alex as a 6 year vet with 2 years in the same system will be better than any rookie guaranteed.
~ Alex has played dramatically better this year.

He needs the same system 2 years in a row. Something we never tried with Alex until maybe this offseason... Work the entire offseason on timing and chemistry with Crabtree and Davis. And put a huge amount of work in on the offseason under center.

Also not of small importance we need to upgrade the O LINE. And add another weapon or 2.

If we do this I feel he can be a good QB. Above average in fact.

Scot M. is just trying to motivate him. Again look at what I said and what our 2010 alternatives are. ALEX WILL START in 2010.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Give Alex an entire off-season to work w/Crabtree, Vernon, Morgan, et al and we'll see a lot of the incompletes this year be completions next season. Pretty clear his timing/chemistry isn't quite there yet w/Crabtree, but when they get it together, watch out.

MY GOD...IT WILL BE BEAUTIFUL
Originally posted by ktate14:
All I want to know is how long do you need to be in the league before they stop calling you a young quarterback...am I the only one that is tired of hearing that term associated with Smith?

Only Four quarterbacks in the top 30 in QB Rating are younger then Alex Smith - Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Mark Sanchez, and Matthew Stafford.

He's still pretty damn young, lol. I agree though, tired of hearing the excuse.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Alex is the best we got right now. We're not going to be drafting high enough to get a Bradford or Clausen and the FA Qb market is going to be weak next year. Like it or not Smith is going to be the Qb for at least the 2010 season.
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by ktate14:
All I want to know is how long do you need to be in the league before they stop calling you a young quarterback...am I the only one that is tired of hearing that term associated with Smith?

Only Four quarterbacks in the top 30 in QB Rating are younger then Alex Smith - Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Mark Sanchez, and Matthew Stafford.

He's still pretty damn young, lol. I agree though, tired of hearing the excuse.

What does he need an excuse for? He's played well this year and won the game last night. His throws for the most part were accurate. On the one play Dockett just made a phenomenal individual effort play. I wouldn't blame Alex much on that one. Just an incredible play by Dockett that happens maybe once or twice a season.
Originally posted by miked1978:
I support Smith 100% but I'm not sold on him as a franchise QB. I honestly think he's an average QB at best.

To me he is a step above a pure game manager, but can hurt you with ill timed throws. I would like to see how he does after a whole offseason, OTCs, and training camp though. I think you still need to find a franchise QB though, because I just don't see him being a top tier QB in this league.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
I support Smith 100% but I'm not sold on him as a franchise QB. I honestly think he's an average QB at best.

To me he is a step above a pure game manager, but can hurt you with ill timed throws. I would like to see how he does after a whole offseason, OTCs, and training camp though. I think you still need to find a franchise QB though, because I just don't see him being a top tier QB in this league.

I think he can be a real good QB. He's never even had the same offensive coordinator and same system 2 years in a row. Why don't we try that for the first time in his career this offseason?... Plus he has never had a good pass blocking O LINE in his career. How about we fix that in the offseason too. And he can work with Crabtree and Davis all offseason on timing and chemistry.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Dec 15, 2009 at 12:12:13 ]

I agree with both of you guys!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

I think he can be a real good QB. He's never even had the same offensive coordinator and same system 2 years in a row. Why don't we try that for the first time in his career this offseason?... Plus he has never had a good pass blocking O LINE in his career. How about we fix that in the offseason too. And he can work with Crabtree and Davis all offseason on timing and chemistry.

I agree, some time with the recievers, improve the OL and an OC for more than one year will do wonders for Alex. Unless, he falls flat on his face these last 3 games, Alex is the starting Qb in 2010.

Originally posted by mayo63:

I agree, some time with the recievers, improve the OL and an OC for more than one year will do wonders for Alex. Unless, he falls flat on his face these last 3 games, Alex is the starting Qb in 2010.

I agree with you. And I don't think he will fall flat. He's played well this entire year when he had the opportunities. The ALEX HATERS mostly have past images in their mind. It hasn't crossed their mind to look at THIS SEASON from a realistic perspective. By the #'s and just by watching the darn games he is dramatically better than ever before. He still never had the same coordinator 2 years in a row. That's when Urban Meyer said he would be good. The same system and same coordinator 2 years in a row. Why don't we give that a try for once?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

I agree with you. And I don't think he will fall flat. He's played well this entire year when he had the opportunities. The ALEX HATERS mostly have past images in their mind. It hasn't crossed their mind to look at THIS SEASON from a realistic perspective. By the #'s and just by watching the darn games he is dramatically better than ever before. He still never had the same coordinator 2 years in a row. That's when Urban Meyer said he would be good. The same system and same coordinator 2 years in a row. Why don't we give that a try for once?

100% agree.

100% agree.

I am completely with you guys. Keep Raye and keep Alex. Lets get some continuity back to the niners. When was the last time, a OC wasn't fired after one season ? 2000 ? it absolutely feels like an eternity since it happend.
  • Twister68
  • Info N/A
What are the options if we don't start next year with Smith as a #1? A rookie like Clausen? Do you really think that we are closer to post season with a rookie? BS.

Oh yeah, how about the all world young QB like Cutler, Ryan or Flacco? A big step forward? In your dreams, haters. Just ask Chicago or compare Cutler's statistics to Smith's numbers.
Originally posted by stever:

100% agree.

I am completely with you guys. Keep Raye and keep Alex. Lets get some continuity back to the niners. When was the last time, a OC wasn't fired after one season ? 2000 ? it absolutely feels like an eternity since it happend.

It's just absurd that we keep doing that. I don't like Raye but I'm actually on board now with keeping him just for continuity sake and for Alex's development. I think Alex really is that type of QB like Urban Meyer said. A few years in the same system is better for him.
Share 49ersWebzone