LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 295 users in the forums

I apologize to Gore, and to a few players on D!!!!!!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Its great that Gore was able to break some runs, but our defense won the game for us by forcing 7 turnovers.

What we did on offense tonight is a step down from where we were.

I actually saw it as an improvement. When you have to rely on 50 passes to get some points...you are one dimensional. This is becoming a passing league but you win with balance.

Balance is the goal. But here is what I found disturbing...

1) Alex Smith does not look good as a drop-back passer.
2) Frank Gore looks good in the I-Form attack when he has ANY space.

#2 is only disturbing because of #1.

If we are in the I-Form, what are we going to do? Pass? Run? If we pass, we are not very good out of I-Form, so we are not balanced.

Let's say we go to shotgun instead, we run OK out of shotgun, but Gore doesn't really have a chance to make a dynamite play and break a long one. We pass GREAT out of shotgun, or rather, Alex Smith ONLY plays great out of shotgun.

So we CAN'T have balance, unless of course we are comfortable with the defense knowing if we are running or passing. I just don't see this "hybrid" offense working. It reminds me of Nolan's "hybrid" 3-4 defense. It's predictable, and its simply not the way a good team plays.

Winning poker players, just like winning teams, don't show their cards EVERY time they play.
Its great that Gore was able to break some runs, but our defense won the game for us by forcing 7 turnovers.

I actually saw it as an improvement. When you have to rely on 50 passes to get some points...you are one dimensional. This is becoming a passing league but you win with balance.

If we are in the I-Form, what are we going to do? Pass? Run? If we pass, we are not very good out of I-Form, so we are not balanced.

Let's say we go to shotgun instead, we run OK out of shotgun, but Gore doesn't really have a chance to make a dynamite play and break a long one. We pass GREAT out of shotgun, or rather, Alex Smith ONLY plays great out of shotgun.

So we CAN'T have balance, unless of course we are comfortable with the defense knowing if we are running or passing. I just don't see this "hybrid" offense working. It reminds me of Nolan's "hybrid" 3-4 defense. It's predictable, and its simply not the way a good team plays.

Winning poker players, just like winning teams, don't show their cards EVERY time they play.

This wasn't about Alex or us in the I or whatever. This was about Gore playing well when everyone including me said he was washed up. If people need to eat crow than this is the place to do it.

I actually disagree with you but I don't want to talk about it in here.
  • B650
  • Veteran

I'm not sure I'm following this. We can't have balance because Gore can't break a 50-yard run from the shotgun? I think Singletary is happy with 4-yard runs. Plus, I think Smith will improve as a drop-back passer over time. The chemistry should improve, and Smith will be a more confident QB. I really think it all comes down to OL. If the OL improves, Smith will do fine. I think he did pretty well in Norv's offense in 2006, so there's hope, as long as we upgrade the OL.
wait..... who said gore was washed up ? you guys must have not known that our o-line has been complete crap since larry allen left
  • lod01
  • Veteran
The Gore bashing (A result of the horrid gam-plans that excluded him) exposed the clueless. That would be those who were screaming to trade Gore. (oh yeah...and to play Coffee instead) You people are idiots. Best move is to never return to this board.

[ Edited by lod01 on Dec 15, 2009 at 05:20:27 ]
How much time does Alex Smith have?
Originally posted by B650:

I'm not sure I'm following this. We can't have balance because Gore can't break a 50-yard run from the shotgun? I think Singletary is happy with 4-yard runs. Plus, I think Smith will improve as a drop-back passer over time. The chemistry should improve, and Smith will be a more confident QB. I really think it all comes down to OL. If the OL improves, Smith will do fine. I think he did pretty well in Norv's offense in 2006, so there's hope, as long as we upgrade the OL.
Originally posted by lod01:
The Gore bashing (A result of the horrid gam-plans that excluded him) exposed the clueless. That would be those who were screaming to trade Gore. (oh yeah...and to play Coffee instead) You people are idiots. Best move is to never return to this board.

Alright genius I guess Steve Young is an idiot.

I never thought that Gore was washed up but based upon his performance the past few weeks, I wondered if he was a right fit for this offense. If that makes me an idiot so be it. I am glad that you provided an intellectually stimulating post to help me see that.

BTW: If I question the performance of a player on this team, I am more then happy to be proven wrong.
Frank Gore definitely was the man, but let's not forget Alex Smith. He played a SOLID football game. He made one bad decision and that was the INT to Adrian Wilson, but had he not had those 6, count 'em 6 dropped passes, he would have had a MUCH better game. So while Frank Gore, our BEST player in offense tore up Arizona, we would not have won w/o Alex playing the way he did.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
First off I want to say, I'M SORRY FRANK GORE. I said you were washed up, a lot of other people did too, and then he put the O on his back even though Smith made some mistakes and his OL hasn't been opening holes for him all year. You allowed us to grind out the clock, you got a touchdown on a really nice job pushing yourself into the end zone after it looked like you might be stopped(most backs would've been), and you broke long run after long run in the first half and kept us from being in bad field position. It was ridiculously exciting to see long run after long run. You proved me wrong for saying "why does he need more carries when he doesn't do anything with them and he fumbles the ball too much".

At the same time, it's a lot easier for the team to keep giving him the ball when he's getting production. It's harder when he gets stopped behind the LOS, to keep giving him the ball on 2nd and 12, or 3rd and 7, etc. But he did a great job tonight of making sure he got production when he got the ball on 1st and 2nd downs. When we get into those 3rd and longs, it kills us. When he can get us into a 3rd and 4 or 3rd and 5, it's a lot more manageable.

I also want to apologize to Goldson for saying he can't cover. He proved me wrong tonight also. That dude did a great job covering the whole middle of the field. It's really rare that a safety is able to take away the middle from Warner with weapons like Breaston, Fitz, and Boldin. Then he did a great job in run support also forcing their backs to cough up the ball. So good job Dashon and I'm sorry for doubting you! But the main man I think A LOT of us need to say sorry to, because I'm not the only one who said this, is Frank Gore! So thanks for proving me wrong, because you were one of my favorite players for the last few years, I was wrong for hopping off your band wagon after a few inconsistent games, and I have your authentic jersey.

I think Im going to cry.

One of Frank's best runs ever was from the shotgun ... 62 yards vs the lions, several broken tackles, etc
it was great

Share 49ersWebzone