LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Why do people think Gore is a top 5 back?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Gore is a good back. Regardless he needs a replacement like yesterday. There are so many gaping holes on the team I agree but the good thing about a RB is you CAN find good picks in the 2-4th rounds also.

The 49ers need to catch up and employ a dual back system because the wear on Gore is going to be felt someday. Better sooner than later imo.
  • ninersown
  • Info N/A
We think hes a top 5 back because he plays like one when he has a true oppurtunity, I mean... do you even watch the games? You cant be purely statistical
Originally posted by joey82:
For some reason I see tons of posters saying that Gore is a top 5 back.

I know as Niner fans we can be a bit deliusional about our players but guys honestly there is no way Gore is a top 5 back, in fact I really don't even think he is a top 10 back.

Perhaps in 2007 he was a top 5 back, but last year wasn't very good for him and neither is this year. You can blame the OL and I agree that doesn't help him, but he is getting older, has had tons of injuries, and even though he is likeable and a good player he is not an elite back period.

So guys please let the notion of Gore being a top 5 back go, and realize that we need to pick up a fast quick hitting back like Spiller.

top 5 statistically? no.

top 5 talent wise? EASILY.

dude Gore has been a pro bowl caliber back for 4 years now with some of the most AWFUL OL's youve ever seen. give this man a freakin raise for what hes done despite getting very little help from his line.

put him on the Jets or the Titans behind their lines? hed be top 3 with ease. he has all the ability and talent, he just has to do all the work himself because of his line.
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
Here are backs that I think are currently better than Gore

AP
C. Johnson
S. Jackson
MJD
D. Williams
R. Brown
R. Rice
J. Addai
R. Grant

I think Gore belongs somewhere in this level of backs.

Turner
Forte
Mendenhall
Benson
Barber
LT
B. Westbrook
B. Jacobs
K. Smith

Good, servicable backs but not elite.

While a ton of injuries was an exaggeration he has had two torn ACLs, a groin injury, a broken bone in his hand, and the ankle sprain this year. The injuries don't concern me as much as this fact.

When you watch him on sundays, he lacks the explosiveness he seemed to have back in 06. He never did have break away speed but he used to be a tank to bring down and was a great yards after contact back. Now he just looks average, and honestly if you take away those two runs he had against the Seahawks he has had a terrible year.

I think Gore is still a servicable back but top 5 is laughable and top 10 is even questionable. Considering how many teams go with a multiback system (and how sucessful they usually are with it) why not draft a dynamic back to compliment Gore since he is most likely on the down side of his career. Unless you guys think Coffee is the change of pace back we need.

addai and grant aren't top 10 backs, they are good at best and a product of their o-line. gore and westbrook are still top 10 backs and the whole league will tell you the same.

I would tell you the same thing about gore, he is good at best. However, as of right now I would take either addai or grant over gore no question.

thats ridiculous, sometimes i question whether the people on here really know anything about football...
Originally posted by gilwankel:
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Homerism
Idk if thats even a word lol
but he is top 15

I'm curious to see your list of RBs. Their are only a handful of guys that I think you could even argue as better backs than Gore, much less 10 to 15.

AP, Chris Johnson, SJax, and MJD are the only ones I can think of that I'd rather have than Gore.

exactly... right on the money, gore is borderline top 5 RB, defintely top 10, thats not even a debate...
Originally posted by TheyHate2LuvMe:
Originally posted by gilwankel:
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Homerism
Idk if thats even a word lol
but he is top 15

I'm curious to see your list of RBs. Their are only a handful of guys that I think you could even argue as better backs than Gore, much less 10 to 15.

AP, Chris Johnson, SJax, and MJD are the only ones I can think of that I'd rather have than Gore.

exactly... right on the money, gore is borderline top 5 RB, defintely top 10, thats not even a debate...

Exactly. It is amazing how dumb some people who call themselves football fans are. The guy misses 3 games minus a few plays, for a three game stretch we handed the ball off to him like 7 times and he is probably going to have 1100 yards on the year. Without missed time and our sudden change to the Rams of 1999, he would have easily had 1400 yards with this offensive line. He is as shifty as they come in between the tackles. He isn't a bounce it outside and burner type, but he has never been that. He is probably one of the hardest runners I have ever seen. Maybe not top 5, but close and for sure top 10.

AP
C. Johnson
S. Jackson
MJD
D. Williams
R. Brown
R. Rice
J. Addai
R. Grant

I would tell you the same thing about gore, he is good at best. However, as of right now I would take either addai or grant over gore no question.

somebody obviously only watches highlights.
Madden and Fantasy Football have killed the understanding of the reality of pro football.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by BigDaddy:
Madden and Fantasy Football have killed the understanding of the reality of pro football.

Ain't that the truth.

Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by BigDaddy:

Ain't that the truth.

football in general. Now everyone thinks its easy to be a GM, move people to different positions, and hire and fire coaches like they change socks.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

I know as Niner fans we can be a bit deliusional about our players but guys honestly there is no way Gore is a top 5 back, in fact I really don't even think he is a top 10 back.

Perhaps in 2007 he was a top 5 back, but last year wasn't very good for him and neither is this year. You can blame the OL and I agree that doesn't help him, but he is getting older, has had tons of injuries, and even though he is likeable and a good player he is not an elite back period.

So guys please let the notion of Gore being a top 5 back go, and realize that we need to pick up a fast quick hitting back like Spiller.

"Additionally, running back Frank Gore was chosen as a first alternate"

1/3 fans, 1/3 coaches, 1/3 players

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/12/davis-willis-lee-chosen-to-pro-bowl.html

and Gore wasn't top 5 in fan voting (don't know where he landed since it only showed top 5 on the list I saw), so the players and coaches had to put him pretty high. but yes, he's middle of the line at best because the fans know best
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

"Additionally, running back Frank Gore was chosen as a first alternate"

1/3 fans, 1/3 coaches, 1/3 players

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/12/davis-willis-lee-chosen-to-pro-bowl.html

and Gore wasn't top 5 in fan voting (don't know where he landed since it only showed top 5 on the list I saw), so the players and coaches had to put him pretty high. but yes, he's middle of the line at best because the fans know best

It is amazing today how dumb fans are. Even going to games and hearing people talk s**t when it is obvious they have no idea what they are talking about.

I was in Seattle for the game. And I am not saying Alex is great, but that was probably one of his best games of the year. He played very very solid. There was this guy sitting next to me, a 49er fan, screaming the whole game at Alex talking about how he was sucking, etc. All I could do was just look at him with disbelief.
Originally posted by TheyHate2LuvMe:
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:

AP
C. Johnson
S. Jackson
MJD
D. Williams
R. Brown
R. Rice
J. Addai
R. Grant

I think Gore belongs somewhere in this level of backs.

Turner
Forte
Mendenhall
Benson
Barber
LT
B. Westbrook
B. Jacobs
K. Smith

Good, servicable backs but not elite.

While a ton of injuries was an exaggeration he has had two torn ACLs, a groin injury, a broken bone in his hand, and the ankle sprain this year. The injuries don't concern me as much as this fact.

When you watch him on sundays, he lacks the explosiveness he seemed to have back in 06. He never did have break away speed but he used to be a tank to bring down and was a great yards after contact back. Now he just looks average, and honestly if you take away those two runs he had against the Seahawks he has had a terrible year.

I think Gore is still a servicable back but top 5 is laughable and top 10 is even questionable. Considering how many teams go with a multiback system (and how sucessful they usually are with it) why not draft a dynamic back to compliment Gore since he is most likely on the down side of his career. Unless you guys think Coffee is the change of pace back we need.

addai and grant aren't top 10 backs, they are good at best and a product of their o-line. gore and westbrook are still top 10 backs and the whole league will tell you the same.

thats ridiculous, sometimes i question whether the people on here really know anything about football...

his list is awful all the way around. how on earth is Michael Turner not in the elite group?? and Joseph Addai IS? wow. i bet hes basing it all off what he saw last week.

the list SHOULD go like this:

Adrian Peterson
Chris Johnson
Maurice Jones-Drew
Steven Jackson
Michael Turner
Ray Rice
DeAngelo Williams
Frank Gore
Cedric Benson
Ronnie Brown

Ryan Grant
Marion Barber
Matt Forte
Joseph Addai
LaDainian Tomlinson
Rashard Mendenhall
Ricky Williams
Brandon Jacobs

and Gore has top 5 potential if given a better run blocking line.

Jamaal Charles, Jonathan Stewart, Pierre Thomas, Fred Jackson, Felix Jones, Beanie Wells, and Knowshon Moreno will all be replacing guys like LT, Ricky Williams, Jacobs, Addai, Barber, etc in the next 3+ years.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Jan 2, 2010 at 12:26 AM ]
  • hb123
  • Veteran
yea some ppl are on some good ish doubting whats been one of the few bright spots for this team since drafted
Share 49ersWebzone