There are 169 users in the forums

Why do people think Gore is a top 5 back?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
4 straight 1000 yard seasons with 13 guys stacked in the box on almost every play. How many times this season has Gore been hit behind the line due to crappy blocking. Every play that the blocking is average to above average he has punished the opposing defense as well as having done that on plays where the blocking sucked. Take into account that the niners played from behind a lot and had no offensive identity for most of the season and Gore easily could have had 1500 yards even with the missed time due to injury. I think he even looked faster this year than in the past.
Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Adrian Peterson is overrated.

The best back in the NFL is Chris Johnson.

Frank is a top back also.

Overrated only because of his fumbles. No doubt Chris Johnson is the best back this year, but things change year to year. When it's all said and done you have to look at the full body of work.

I agree, but Peterson fumbles like crazy. Even with his fumbles I still consider him the number 2.

Chris Johnson, D. Williams, Stephen Jackson > Peterson

Peterson is a lot of ESPN hype, good defenses shut him down, that's a fact, go look at the stats. I'm glad he can stiff arm the Browns DB"s.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

Overrated only because of his fumbles. No doubt Chris Johnson is the best back this year, but things change year to year. When it's all said and done you have to look at the full body of work.

I agree, but Peterson fumbles like crazy. Even with his fumbles I still consider him the number 2.

Peterson is a lot of ESPN hype, good defenses shut him down, that's a fact, go look at the stats. I'm glad he can stiff arm the Browns DB"s.
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by ImaMod:
My top 5:
Chris Johnson
Adrian Peterson
Maurice Jones-Drew
Steven Jackson
Frank Gore / Deangelo Williams
#6- Ray Rice
Gore averages more yards per carry than all of them Except Chris Johnson..He has a terrible O Line compared to GREAT O Lines from the Titans and Vikings..

And keep in mind Gore is only averaging 14 Attempts per GAME..and easily has the least carries compared to all the other runningbacks I listed

This is why this is a dumb argument...Gore is still one of the better backs in the league. Spin it any way you like, but when you average more than 5 yards a carry and are a starting running back, you are still one of the elites. Sometimes I wonder if some of you guys even research before you post nonsense like this. He is only 26 years old and you guys are trying to say he is over the hill, sometimes the level of ignorance by some posters here still manages to amaze me.

Idk if you were defending me or going against me but I'm on the same side as you..But I would take Gore over Steven Jackson because I think Gore is more explosive...The only RBs I think are Clearly better than him are CJ and AP, and I guess MJD

Neither Ima, just using what your post to make a point. If we still had a line with the run blocking ability of those lines Garrison Hearst ran behind, we would be talking about Gore being the best in the league.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Gore has 1013 yards on 12 games. Prorated out over a full season that would put him at 1350 yards which is good enough for number 3 in the league.
Originally posted by smileyman:
Gore has 1013 yards on 12 games. Prorated out over a full season that would put him at 1350 yards which is good enough for number 3 in the league.
Imagine Gore and Spiller in your backfield
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Imagine Gore and Spiller in your backfield

Spiller would be a great Kr/Pr
If you look at what RB's have done over the past 4 years Gore is without a doubt a top 5 back.

Sorry no link,I've seen the stats posted during a football game
Originally posted by Super5:
If you look at what RB's have done over the past 4 years Gore is without a doubt a top 5 back.

Sorry no link,I've seen the stats posted during a football game

He's second only to LT in some of those categories/stats that both of us have seen on TV.

now how can you put steven jackson in front of gore. he only has four rush touchdowns.. now he does have like 250 yards more then him, but gore is way better.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by vaniner757:
now how can you put steven jackson in front of gore. he only has four rush touchdowns.. now he does have like 250 yards more then him, but gore is way better.

They're actually very similar in stats over the past 4 years.
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

Peterson has his best games against sh***y teams, who have terrible run defenses. Totally over-hyped player.
If you take fantasy nerds out of the conversation he's at the very least in the conversation of the top 5 RBs a GM would take if he were drafting current NFL players to start for just one season.

He is not only a playmaker but an all around great football player. He one of the few guys that gets the hard yards and breaks long TDs. He can catch the ball as well as any RB (and many receivers) and is a great blocker, in pass protection and down the field, as well. He shows up, plays hurt, and is the ultimate team player. These are the kind of players coaches want on their team.

Would he be top 5 in my fantasy scenario? We'll never know. But he'd be very close at the worst (with 4 - 8 being bunched up together).
Originally posted by joey82:
For some reason I see tons of posters saying that Gore is a top 5 back.

I know as Niner fans we can be a bit deliusional about our players but guys honestly there is no way Gore is a top 5 back, in fact I really don't even think he is a top 10 back.

Perhaps in 2007 he was a top 5 back, but last year wasn't very good for him and neither is this year. You can blame the OL and I agree that doesn't help him, but he is getting older, has had tons of injuries, and even though he is likeable and a good player he is not an elite back period.

So guys please let the notion of Gore being a top 5 back go, and realize that we need to pick up a fast quick hitting back like Spiller.

"Additionally, running back Frank Gore was chosen as a first alternate"

1/3 fans, 1/3 coaches, 1/3 players

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/12/davis-willis-lee-chosen-to-pro-bowl.html

Share 49ersWebzone