LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 312 users in the forums

Why do people think Gore is a top 5 back?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
My top 5:
Chris Johnson
Adrian Peterson
Maurice Jones-Drew
Steven Jackson
Frank Gore / Deangelo Williams
#6- Ray Rice
Gore averages more yards per carry than all of them Except Chris Johnson..He has a terrible O Line compared to GREAT O Lines from the Titans and Vikings..

And keep in mind Gore is only averaging 14 Attempts per GAME..and easily has the least carries compared to all the other runningbacks I listed
Originally posted by ImaMod:
My top 5:
Chris Johnson
Adrian Peterson
Maurice Jones-Drew
Steven Jackson
#6- Ray Rice
Gore averages more yards per carry than all of them Except Chris Johnson..He has a terrible O Line compared to GREAT O Lines from the Titans and Vikings..

And keep in mind Gore is only averaging 14 Attempts per GAME..and easily has the least carries compared to all the other runningbacks I listed

This is why this is a dumb argument...Gore is still one of the better backs in the league. Spin it any way you like, but when you average more than 5 yards a carry and are a starting running back, you are still one of the elites. Sometimes I wonder if some of you guys even research before you post nonsense like this. He is only 26 years old and you guys are trying to say he is over the hill, sometimes the level of ignorance by some posters here still manages to amaze me.
I think Gore is still a top 5 back... For one, when you only get 10 or 15 carries in a game you don't get enough or into the flow. He does very well when given 20+ carries. He is shifty, can make you miss and is still every bit as good as he was. He missed some games, saw a reduced part with the O when we went to the shotgun, he also has a horrible O-Line. Put Gore in for the Colts and he is ALL-PRO and sorry but far better then Addia.... Gore is a top 5 back period and with a decent O-Line he would be in the top 3.
If you look at Gore's stats he really is a top back. This season he is averaging 107.2 yards a game, the 6th highest average output in the NFL. He is also 8th in total yards with 1394. He's averaging 4.9 yards a carry, good for 11th in the NFL and 4th if you only count backs with 200 or more carries. He's got 11 touchdowns, tying him for 8th in scoring among running backs. Not bad for a guy that missed essentially 3 games.

Gore has four consecutive years of 1000 yards rushing, no small feat especially for a guy who has had mediocre run blocking. Steven Jackson and Thomas Jones are the only two running backs with a longer active streak of consecutive 1000 yard seasons with five.

If he is not top five material he is damn close and it is foolish to write him off as merely average.
Originally posted by dhp318:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by joey82:
For some reason I see tons of posters saying that Gore is a top 5 back.

I know as Niner fans we can be a bit deliusional about our players but guys honestly there is no way Gore is a top 5 back, in fact I really don't even think he is a top 10 back.

Perhaps in 2007 he was a top 5 back, but last year wasn't very good for him and neither is this year. You can blame the OL and I agree that doesn't help him, but he is getting older, has had tons of injuries, and even though he is likeable and a good player he is not an elite back period.

So guys please let the notion of Gore being a top 5 back go, and realize that we need to pick up a fast quick hitting back like Spiller.

Definitely not top 5, but I think he's top 10.

AP
CJ
steven jackson
MJD
Benson
ronnie brown
deangelo williams
michael turner
Gore

lol is that in order? Benson is essentially a yardage only guy for 1 season, and now hes top 5? ronnie brown? really??
Ummmm MAYBE it's because players coaches and GMs around the league believe that he's a top 5 Back?

And you can't knock the 4 seasons of 1k+ yards totin the Rock.

This is taking into account the injuries that keep him sidelined during the season.

So bang your little drum about how Frank is not top 5. Those who pay attention know he is. That's enough for me.

~Ceadder
AP
C. Johnson
S. Jackson
MJD
Gore

my top 5 and honestly I don't know how you can disagree... I can't believe there are people who do not think Gore is a top 5 back. playing for any other team who isn't s**t he would have had WAYYY better numbers. Really.. some of you have him behind Ryan Grant and Cedric Benson... The posting here is jus ridiculous.

For a guy who missed 4 games and still is 12th in the league in rushing... That must say something. my god.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
My top 5:
Chris Johnson
Adrian Peterson
Maurice Jones-Drew
Steven Jackson
#6- Ray Rice

This is why this is a dumb argument...Gore is still one of the better backs in the league. Spin it any way you like, but when you average more than 5 yards a carry and are a starting running back, you are still one of the elites. Sometimes I wonder if some of you guys even research before you post nonsense like this. He is only 26 years old and you guys are trying to say he is over the hill, sometimes the level of ignorance by some posters here still manages to amaze me.

Idk if you were defending me or going against me but I'm on the same side as you..But I would take Gore over Steven Jackson because I think Gore is more explosive...The only RBs I think are Clearly better than him are CJ and AP, and I guess MJD
Give Gore a good line and the same attempts and CJ/AP and Gore will do just as good if not better...
  • Remmaps
  • Info N/A
because they're dumb.

Originally posted by joey82:
Here are backs that I think are currently better than Gore

AP
C. Johnson
S. Jackson
MJD
D. Williams
R. Brown
R. Rice
J. Addai
R. Grant

Addai and Grant.... wow, thats enough to show me you dont know what your talking about...

I think Gore belongs somewhere in this level of backs.

Turner
Forte
Mendenhall
Benson
Barber
LT
B. Westbrook
B. Jacobs
K. Smith

Good, servicable backs but not elite.

While a ton of injuries was an exaggeration he has had two torn ACLs, a groin injury, a broken bone in his hand, and the ankle sprain this year. The injuries don't concern me as much as this fact.

When you watch him on sundays, he lacks the explosiveness he seemed to have back in 06. He never did have break away speed but he used to be a tank to bring down and was a great yards after contact back. Now he just looks average, and honestly if you take away those two runs he had against the Seahawks he has had a terrible year.

I think Gore is still a servicable back but top 5 is laughable and top 10 is even questionable. Considering how many teams go with a multiback system (and how sucessful they usually are with it) why not draft a dynamic back to compliment Gore since he is most likely on the down side of his career. Unless you guys think Coffee is the change of pace back we need.

uhh, you dont know what your talking about...
[ Edited by TheyHate2LuvMe on Jan 1, 2010 at 2:28 PM ]
My top 5:
Chris Johnson
Adrian Peterson
Maurice Jones-Drew
Steven Jackson
#6- Ray Rice

thats perfect, however i think Steven Jackson might be better then MJD, jackson doesnt get the respect he deserves, and it is a toos up between gore and williams,
Chris Johnson
Adrian Peterson
Stephen Jackson
MJD
Gore
Agrred with most of you that Frank deserves to be mentioned with the top 5 backs. However, I think he is better than Maurice Jones Drew; just not faster but definitely better than pocket Hercules.
Gore wears SF on his helmet. That makes him number 1!!!
Share 49ersWebzone