Originally posted by FourNine49:
Originally posted by lamontb:
win some games

As a TEAM.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Like most qb, Smith can only control what he can, which is distributing the ball to his offensive players and minimized the turn overs. For the most part he has done that this year so far. The last two games, he threw 40 times each with no INTs. With wins and losses he has to depend on the rest of the team along with his play.

Agree with this. The 49ers just have to find a way to start winning games.

And NOT KILLING OURSELVES with bad play.
I want to see steady improvement, command of the huddle, and improved connections between him and the receivers. In terms of statitics I would like to see at least two wins in the final four games. I would like to see those two wins be methodical, clean, and decisive. I would like to see him score at least 28 points of offense in both of those games. I think the Arizona and Philadelphia games will be very tough. I see the Arizona game as 50/50 but the Philadelphia game if he can keep it close it will be good. After the 4 games we should have seen just about all A. Smith has to offer. If he looks good then we can make the final decision as to whether he will be our QB for the next season.
  • Steve
  • Info N/A
I have always been a Hill fan. While I think he would have given us more wins this year, I think Alex is better suited to be our starter for now. I think Smith has shown enough improvement to warrent him being the starter for next season, and a good enough win/loss record for Hill to be our back up. Have to wait and see about Davis. Not enough experience to make him the back up. Maybe later, just not ready for the time being. Give Alex the off season as the starter and a lot of practice with the receivers. By this time next season, we will know if Alex is our future Q.B. and maybe if Sing should be our Headcoach. Would really like to know how much Raye's coaching was influenced by Singletary. Our future should be a combination of our run down there throats attitude as in the first of the season and our pass happy offense that we see now. Need to get better balance in the off season. Sing has shown that he is eventually willing to make changes. Only time will tell if those are the right decisions or not. There has been a lot of change in our team this year and need more in the offseason. Have been a fan for about 35 years. Being a fan during the Montana and the Young years really spoiled us. New Orleans and Indy show how important a quarterback is. If the all of a sudden had to work with a middle of the pack Q.B. , their success rate would drop considerably. I doubt is these teams will be at the top of the heap 5-6 years from now. Things change and I hope our team will continue to improve and will be in the top few teams soon. Go Niners!!
Originally posted by Steve:
I have always been a Hill fan. While I think he would have given us more wins this year, I think Alex is better suited to be our starter for now. I think Smith has shown enough improvement to warrent him being the starter for next season, and a good enough win/loss record for Hill to be our back up. Have to wait and see about Davis. Not enough experience to make him the back up. Maybe later, just not ready for the time being. Give Alex the off season as the starter and a lot of practice with the receivers. By this time next season, we will know if Alex is our future Q.B. and maybe if Sing should be our Headcoach. Would really like to know how much Raye's coaching was influenced by Singletary. Our future should be a combination of our run down there throats attitude as in the first of the season and our pass happy offense that we see now. Need to get better balance in the off season. Sing has shown that he is eventually willing to make changes. Only time will tell if those are the right decisions or not. There has been a lot of change in our team this year and need more in the offseason. Have been a fan for about 35 years. Being a fan during the Montana and the Young years really spoiled us. New Orleans and Indy show how important a quarterback is. If the all of a sudden had to work with a middle of the pack Q.B. , their success rate would drop considerably. I doubt is these teams will be at the top of the heap 5-6 years from now. Things change and I hope our team will continue to improve and will be in the top few teams soon. Go Niners!!

Let the Hill thing go already. His wins were vs. weak teams. He couldn't do crap with the ball his last 2 starts or hit WRs before that. Make Davis number 2 and let Hill go.
Quote:
Another ESPN observer is encouraged by what he's seen from Smith since that game. Trent Dilfer spent two years with the 49ers and was on the sideline during Smith's dark days in 2007.

Dilfer said he and Smith attended the wedding of a mutual friend this offseason and they spent two hours talking. After the conversation, Dilfer said he turned to his wife.

"I told her, 'That is a different man,' Dilfer recalled. " 'Not a different player, but a different man. He will be fine now. Mark my words, honey, he will be fine.' "

Dilfer said he sensed more of a take-charge attitude in Smith than he had before.

"Now he runs the show," Dilfer said. "You see it in his body language. You see everyone reacting to him. He is now in total control of what is going on out there."

http://www.sacbee.com/sf49ers/story/2393079.html#mi_rss=49ers
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Quote:
Another ESPN observer is encouraged by what he's seen from Smith since that game. Trent Dilfer spent two years with the 49ers and was on the sideline during Smith's dark days in 2007.

Dilfer said he and Smith attended the wedding of a mutual friend this offseason and they spent two hours talking. After the conversation, Dilfer said he turned to his wife.

"I told her, 'That is a different man,' Dilfer recalled. " 'Not a different player, but a different man. He will be fine now. Mark my words, honey, he will be fine.' "

Dilfer said he sensed more of a take-charge attitude in Smith than he had before.

"Now he runs the show," Dilfer said. "You see it in his body language. You see everyone reacting to him. He is now in total control of what is going on out there."

http://www.sacbee.com/sf49ers/story/2393079.html#mi_rss=49ers

yea, he seems to be more on point with what his role needs to be on the team. The fact that he's gotten better after not playing a year and a half speaks volumes about him, his work ethic and his skill set.
.....to put some damn socks on.
there was a good article on alex smith on saturday december 12, 2009 in the dallasnews.com by respected football writer rick gosselin

one thing he emphasized in the article was the experience factor in alex smith's development:

Smith posted the first 300 yard passing game of his career last weekend
against Seatttle. He is completing 61.8% of his passes with almost twice
as many touchdowns (13) as interceptions (7). In fact, he has thrown 95
consecutive passes now without an interception.

That's where experience comes in. Smith left Utah with two years of eligibilty
remaining having thrown only 587 college passes. That made him the least
experienced quarterback ever selected at the top of a draft.

The more a quarterback throws, the more coverages he sees, the more live
rushes he faces, the better player he becomes. Heading into the 2009 season,
counting his college and pro careers, Smith had thrown 1,387 passes against
top shelf defenses.

Peyton Manning threw that many passes (1,381) in college alone. Carson
Palmer threw 1,538 passes in college and Philip Rivers 1,665. It took all of
six years for Smith to reach the experience level that Manning, Palmer,
and Rivers all brought to NFL training camps as rookies.

He now has the experience and the weapons to succeed as an NFL quarterback.
Judge him from this day forward.

This may explain alot of what we have seen, and will see in the future, with concern to Alex Smith.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Like most qb, Smith can only control what he can, which is distributing the ball to his offensive players and minimized the turn overs. For the most part he has done that this year so far. The last two games, he threw 40 times each with no INTs. With wins and losses he has to depend on the rest of the team along with his play.

Agree with this. The 49ers just have to find a way to start winning games.

Exactly, He can only do his part. Everyone else has to do theirs or you will lose. Thats why its the ultimate team sport!

Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
What I would love to see is Alex Smith have his Interception to Td Ratio at 1:1 for his career before the season ends. His career statistics currently are 32 Touchdown passes with 38 Interceptions. With the poise and Leadership he is beginning to display, my goal for him is to enter the 2010 season at 39+ Tds and 39- interceptions. It maybe far-fetched but if he ends up doing it, it proves that he IS our quarterback.

Why is that far fetched? He's has 3 or 4 TD drops in the last 2 games so his ratio should be 10 to 1 in the last 3. With 4 games left I don't see why he can't throw 10 or 12 touchdowns with as much as we pass the ball.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
.....to put some damn socks on.

Doesn't he wear socks?
if he can look good against arizona and philly then i think without a doubt he goes in as the starter next year..i was a hill follower. not going to bash him, its just alex is better. thanks hill for trying your best!
Originally posted by hofer36:
there was a good article on alex smith on saturday december 12, 2009 in the dallasnews.com by respected football writer rick gosselin

one thing he emphasized in the article was the experience factor in alex smith's development:

Smith posted the first 300 yard passing game of his career last weekend
against Seatttle. He is completing 61.8% of his passes with almost twice
as many touchdowns (13) as interceptions (7). In fact, he has thrown 95
consecutive passes now without an interception.

That's where experience comes in. Smith left Utah with two years of eligibilty
remaining having thrown only 587 college passes. That made him the least
experienced quarterback ever selected at the top of a draft.

The more a quarterback throws, the more coverages he sees, the more live
rushes he faces, the better player he becomes. Heading into the 2009 season,
counting his college and pro careers, Smith had thrown 1,387 passes against
top shelf defenses.

Peyton Manning threw that many passes (1,381) in college alone. Carson
Palmer threw 1,538 passes in college and Philip Rivers 1,665. It took all of
six years for Smith to reach the experience level that Manning, Palmer,
and Rivers all brought to NFL training camps as rookies.

He now has the experience and the weapons to succeed as an NFL quarterback.
Judge him from this day forward.

This may explain alot of what we have seen, and will see in the future, with concern to Alex Smith.

Wow thats actually pretty incredible. Not to knock Smith but I cant believe he was chosen #1 overall.

Do u have a link btw?
Originally posted by Goldtimer:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Originally posted by lamontb:
win some games

As a TEAM.

Some people around here have a very hard time understanding that concept.
Share 49ersWebzone