LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 427 users in the forums

My Goal for Alex Smith for the remainder of the season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
What I would love to see is Alex Smith have his Interception to Td Ratio at 1:1 for his career before the season ends. His career statistics currently are 32 Touchdown passes with 38 Interceptions. With the poise and Leadership he is beginning to display, my goal for him is to enter the 2010 season at 39+ Tds and 39- interceptions. It maybe far-fetched but if he ends up doing it, it proves that he IS our quarterback.

i think hes already proven hes our QB. dont act like he has to prove himself in 3 games to end the season, 2 of which are against cream puffs.

whether or not he ends the year with a bang, hes our guy next year. if not because hes looked great, but just because hes the best guy we got.

people can say "hill wins! smith doesnt! hill should play!" all they want, but hill also took it on the chin against ATL. weve been in every single game Smith's play in this year. nobody has proven to be a significantly better team.

Smith almost lead us back against HOU, we nearly beat Indy, who is 13-0, we almost pulled one out against TEN, Smith again lead us back to almost beat GB, and we almost won in SEA.

the common theme with Smith as QB, is us sucking for too much in the first half, before finally pulling our heads out of our butts, and Smith giving it all hes got in the 2nd half to try and pull us out of the hole.
Smith clearly IS the guy for next year. The progress he has made on his fundamentals under the tutelege of Mike Johnson has been impressive. Also, as Jimmy Raye has continued to open up the play book and give him more options, he has continued to develop. The obvious example is the success from the I against AZ.

In a league that have VERY few truly "good" quarterbacks, to have a young guy playing as well as he has after two years off and only a handful of games this year, is a good thing. There aren't any QBs that will be available in FA that are guaranteed better than him, and certainly there won't be any in the draft that would be available AND capable of doing a better job at the beginning of next season.

Finally, it would be huge for Smith to have a full off-season as the undisputed starter in the same system, something he has not had since he came here.

What all this means is that unless he absolutely BOMBS in ALL of the final three games, he is the man for next year. He has already done enough to clearly show that to be the case. All he has to do now is continue what he has been doing.
Originally posted by dj43:
What I would love to see is Alex Smith have his Interception to Td Ratio at 1:1 for his career before the season ends. His career statistics currently are 32 Touchdown passes with 38 Interceptions. With the poise and Leadership he is beginning to display, my goal for him is to enter the 2010 season at 39+ Tds and 39- interceptions. It maybe far-fetched but if he ends up doing it, it proves that he IS our quarterback.

i think hes already proven hes our QB. dont act like he has to prove himself in 3 games to end the season, 2 of which are against cream puffs.

whether or not he ends the year with a bang, hes our guy next year. if not because hes looked great, but just because hes the best guy we got.

people can say "hill wins! smith doesnt! hill should play!" all they want, but hill also took it on the chin against ATL. weve been in every single game Smith's play in this year. nobody has proven to be a significantly better team.

Smith almost lead us back against HOU, we nearly beat Indy, who is 13-0, we almost pulled one out against TEN, Smith again lead us back to almost beat GB, and we almost won in SEA.

the common theme with Smith as QB, is us sucking for too much in the first half, before finally pulling our heads out of our butts, and Smith giving it all hes got in the 2nd half to try and pull us out of the hole.
Smith clearly IS the guy for next year. The progress he has made on his fundamentals under the tutelege of Mike Johnson has been impressive. Also, as Jimmy Raye has continued to open up the play book and give him more options, he has continued to develop. The obvious example is the success from the I against AZ.

In a league that have VERY few truly "good" quarterbacks, to have a young guy playing as well as he has after two years off and only a handful of games this year, is a good thing. There aren't any QBs that will be available in FA that are guaranteed better than him, and certainly there won't be any in the draft that would be available AND capable of doing a better job at the beginning of next season.

Finally, it would be huge for Smith to have a full off-season as the undisputed starter in the same system, something he has not had since he came here.

What all this means is that unless he absolutely BOMBS in ALL of the final three games, he is the man for next year. He has already done enough to clearly show that to be the case. All he has to do now is continue what he has been doing.

Even if he bombs, he will be our starter next year, but Nate will get much more attention. I think Singletary realizes the one thing we have never had is consistency and that is one thing we need throughout TC and Preseason.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:

Even if he bombs, he will be our starter next year, but Nate will get much more attention. I think Singletary realizes the one thing we have never had is consistency and that is one thing we need throughout TC and Preseason.
Agreed. For Smith, Nate Davis, and the 49ers, this off-season and TC will be huge, and fun to watch.

All good teams MUST have a backup QB that is capable of coming in and winning games with his arm. This is now fully a passing league, league rules have been adjusted to assure that to be the case. A "game manager" will get you a nice seat at the ".500 table" for years to come.

The team needs both of them to show they can be winners while passing the ball under pressure.

Agreed. For Smith, Nate Davis, and the 49ers, this off-season and TC will be huge, and fun to watch.

All good teams MUST have a backup QB that is capable of coming in and winning games with his arm. This is now fully a passing league, league rules have been adjusted to assure that to be the case. A "game manager" will get you a nice seat at the ".500 table" for years to come.

The team needs both of them to show they can be winners while passing the ball under pressure.

Couldnt of said it any better myself.

Funny because i think next season will be playoffs definitely or another re-grouping period. If Smith doesnt at least lead us into a guarenteed playoff spot. He'll be gone next year. And if we do too bad, I think Sing, and Scotty will be gone. I think even tho most arent talking about it. Next year is a do or die year for management as well.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Jersey9er:

Couldnt of said it any better myself.

Funny because i think next season will be playoffs definitely or another re-grouping period. If Smith doesnt at least lead us into a guarenteed playoff spot. He'll be gone next year. And if we do too bad, I think Sing, and Scotty will be gone. I think even tho most arent talking about it. Next year is a do or die year for management as well.
I too am optimistic about next season.

Though the success of all teams are ultimately decided to a large degree by injuries, this team now has a defense that can take them into the playoffs. The only question is the offense, and that is showing signs of life.

The problem of the last off-season was that, even though Hill was the starter on paper, that is all he ever was. I do not think very many knowledgeable football fans EVER thought he would really take this team to the playoffs. That spectre hung over this team at the beginning of the season, and, though they got off to a nice start, everyone realized it was against very poor competition. Everyone, whether they admitted it or not, was waiting in constant dread that Hill would get exposed and the team would falter as a result.

Well, that is exactly what happened. Though it wasn't all Hill's fault, he showed clearly he was not capable of exploiting that talent on the team and overcoming shortfalls in other areas.

Now, the team is quite well settled for the future with a much more settled off-season to come, and some young players that are now beginning to play up to expectations.
  • OokiChin
  • Info N/A
I've been following the 49ers fervently toward the end of Steve Young's era, and so I saw how Alex Smith was like throughout his first few years. I had to move overseas this past summer, so I haven't gotten to see his performance thus far except some highlights here and there.

My past observation: Smith was one of those overachievers that wanted everything to be perfect. As his college coach discussed, he needed time to know exactly what he was doing within a system before he can excel. So even in his best season under Norv, he was below average at best. Any quarterback, maybe even Rattay, could have produced the same amount given that Gore had a phenomenal year. Smith did not have the improvisation skills that are essential for good quarterbacks. I think that was why most of the board and basically all non-Niner fans found it hard to get behind the guy despite his respectable year.

I think the biggest thing for Smith for the next few games is to begin to develop his feel for the game. Understand the spots that you can take chances and the spots that you can't. Give your receivers a chance to make a play when things fall apart. Most importantly, how to react when the play falls apart.

He has all the physical skills that Hill doesn't have, but in terms of intangibles, he has a thing or two to learn. I think the most important thing for him is to develop into a man rather than things such as to improve his accuracy, because those things will come with reps.

How we should measure his progress:

1) Wins
2) Sacks taken (shows his decision making speed)
3) Offensive yards/game (describes his efficiency as the leader for this offense)
4) Yards/Completion % (Reveals his actual game performance)

TD's and Int's don't always tell the whole story, because they are situation driven. If our team is down, we will go to the air more. If we are down late in the game, then the QB has to force some throws. Etc.

I really want Smith to be the guy for this franchise. He has handled this whole mess as well as anyone could. Given that this all happened when he was barely 20 years old is amazing.
Share 49ersWebzone