LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

Maiocco speculating that we "could" give up a home game to be played in the UK

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Just what we need, 9 road games. The Niners are stupid if they agree to this.
Well, nothing confirmed.

Let's not forget that the Giants managed to springboard to a Superbowl win after beating the Fins in a dreadful game in London in '07.
  • Happs
  • Veteran
I would love it and would definetly go to Wembely. Hopefully they would give season ticket holders the option to purchase tickets.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
I would think the NFL would shy away from sending us. If you want to attract more fans in Europe, you either need star power (player recognition by fans) or a dynamic offense to keep the crowds tuned in. OR you could go with bright colors/logos to attract the younger generation (ala Jags/Bucs).

Unless we get BOTH TO and Reggie Bush in here, I just dont see it happening, although I bet the stadium would be louder with Soccer fans' than it the Stick is with Niner fans.

they didnt shy away from sending Tampa Bay across the world to get slaughtered. i know they probably booked the game last year when TB was good, but still. what an awful game.
I would think the NFL would shy away from sending us. If you want to attract more fans in Europe, you either need star power (player recognition by fans) or a dynamic offense to keep the crowds tuned in. OR you could go with bright colors/logos to attract the younger generation (ala Jags/Bucs).

Unless we get BOTH TO and Reggie Bush in here, I just dont see it happening, although I bet the stadium would be louder with Soccer fans' than it the Stick is with Niner fans.

T.O and Reggie Bush
We get the shaft AGAIN. Come on Jed just say no.
Originally posted by King49er:

T.O and Reggie Bush

thats exactly what i thought when i saw it too......

Hey ZR lay off the madden...

[ Edited by 49ersMan420 on Dec 13, 2009 at 17:36:03 ]
The most shocking thing in this story is that they've actually made John York the chairman of a committee. All the good committees must have been taken so they just threw him a bone by naming him the chairman of the committee responsible for one game out of the whole year.
We need to take advantage of our home games. Screw this.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I doubt we will be the one giving up a home game. We sell out our games. It will be a team that has tough time selling a home game. We may go there as a road team.

They should probably keep the home games since fans in the Bay Area would love to go. However it's a great way to market the NFL and the 49ers overseas.
Isn't the NFL Europe dead for a reason?? Sometimes Goodell is just retarded. It takes so much from the teams to travel like that. Do you guys have any idea how much equipment the team has to move?
  • DJD
  • Veteran
Absolute horrible idea!!! Take it from someone who has made many a trip to the UK. The jet lag is enough to put you down completely for a day or two, let alone playing an NFL game. Mark it as a loss on the calendar, oh yeah and mark the following game one too. Jet lag affects you coming and going.
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
The most shocking thing in this story is that they've actually made John York the chairman of a committee. All the good committees must have been taken so they just threw him a bone by naming him the chairman of the committee responsible for one game out of the whole year.

That's why the game always sucks. Seriously, I'll watch any NFL game, but that game has just been brutal to try and watch for some reason. Now I know why. They screw everything up.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I am guessing there is a financial advantage (i.e. salary cap) for the team that gives up a home game? I know the 49ers are upset with their old stadium and the reduced salary cap that it gives them, but this still makes no sense. We are well inside the salary cap, plus future years won't even have a salary cap. I guess the raw cash might help them build their new stadium, but I have a hard time believing the amount of cash involved would make that much of a difference.

Maybe it is the NFL that wants the 49ers overseas, due to the large amount of name recognition that the 49ers have.
Share 49ersWebzone