There are 178 users in the forums

Davis Baas and the Oline

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Chilo has been playing better lately, not great but at least better than before especially against the pass rush, he still sucks on the run but everyone on the line does.
I see talent on the O-line, its just not translating to the field. Nor do I see our O-line coach ever coaching them up on the sidelines. I personally think Forester, Sullivan and Everest need to go.
the Oline coach definitely needs to go. But who is available to replace him that can actually develop OLineman?
Originally posted by backontop:
the Oline coach definitely needs to go. But who is available to replace him that can actually develop OLineman?

Best to wait and see after the season cause heads are going to roll on other teams.
Originally posted by MadMartz:
Is this his last year as a Niner? He is going to be a FA next year and I dont think he is in favor with the coaches. If Baas departs then we are only going to have two starters in place for next years Line.

Thats make me worry a little bit. How are we going to go to the playoffs next year without an Oline? We have a LT and a Center, That and a bunch of bench warmers.

So what are we going to do? Are we going to replace 3 starters on the line this off season? Without a decent line we are going to be trash again.

i dont think we can afford to lose any more OL...

unless we can find a good replacement, i think we re-sign him.
Originally posted by 49erman5692:
Originally posted by strickac:
We'll still have 3 starters (Staley, Heitmann and Rachal).

Baas is unlikely to stay with the team, unless he doesn't gain any interest around the league and we can sign him for cheap. Snyder possibly could get throw back inside, which probably better for his anyway. Snyder and Wragge look like the early favorites to compete for that spot. We certainly need some more talent at OG.

The same goes for RT. More talent at OT is an obvious need. We need to decide if Sims or Pashos should stay and compete; otherwise, we need to either bring in a FA or a rookie to compete for the spot.

It sounds bad, but the way Raye has been spreading defenses out (and the Shotgun) has really helped our Oline in protection. I expect to see plenty more of that in the future. Our Oline isn't really capable of protecting a QB from under center. Plus, Smith (like most QBs) is just more effective from the shotgun.

he is not as bad as the biased zone says of him. Our oline as a unit has not given up a sack in the last 3 weeks

That's because he has a very quick release in the spread....he gets pressure a lot but throws the ball very quickly....Read between the lines, just because the sacks have gone down does not mean it is a good OL or has improved
wally, you quoted mcClown perfectly re: getting OGs in 2nd rd. Well, that's what we did and that's why our OL stinks. As far as what we need, yeah, 2starting OLs in draft, and 1 all pro FA OL. Think Clown will do it? Nah.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Replace 3 starters?

LT: Staley (returns)
OC: Heitmann (returns)
RG: Rachal (returns)

If the CBA doesn't get renewed, Baas will be a RFA. We can tender him for about 2-3 M for a 1 year deal, and he'll come back for sure.

Otherwise, I am sure Snyder will see time at either LG or RG next season. So we'll have some continuity in the offensive line.

why assum Rachal is going to return as a starter? I would like to see this team get 2 new OG and a new RT. Rachal has proven he's not ready to be a starter IMO.
Rachal is in his second year and has not stepped up, but he may still develop. OLinemen tend to take a few years. He might also be better if there was a stud RT beside him. Wragge and Baas seem to be treading water, not developing. That would definately call into question coaching.

Singletary wanted a line that could move the pile when running between the guards 3 out of 4 downs. That only happened in Michigan and Ohio during the Woody and Bo days. Our HC has a defensive mentality trying to fit the O into a square hole.
We should draft Brandon Carter, he's a nutjob, but he plays a nasty brand of football at OG, and almost always wins his battle.

I think it is funny how some of you guys think that just because a guy isn't immediately a pro bowler that he will never be any good. I think the bigger problem is coaching rather than talent.
I thought Baas has been playing much better this year than any previous year. He seems to be improving over time. I hope they resign him.
I think Sing has to evaluate the coaching first and then we can get a clearer view of what our current players can do. Then we need to be aggressive in the offseason to either get our upgrades in FA or in the draft. Would like Davis, Iupati, or Carter/Johnson at OG
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Originally posted by hofer36:
would baas be better at center?

Baas would be better at fluffer.

He's a candy@ss, amigo.

I don't know how a guy that big can be a candy ass.

I still don't understand how they cram his helmet on his gargantuan head - they must butter-up his dome.
[ Edited by horsecore on Dec 23, 2009 at 9:14 AM ]
Originally posted by horsecore:
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Originally posted by hofer36:
would baas be better at center?

Baas would be better at fluffer.

He's a candy@ss, amigo.

I don't know how a guy that big can be a candy ass.

I still don't understand how they cram his helmet on his gargantuan head - they must butter-up his dome.

I know right? I've never seen less padding between a mans face and the side of his helmet. That's just silly looking.
Share 49ersWebzone