LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 299 users in the forums

Davis Baas and the Oline

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Is this his last year as a Niner? He is going to be a FA next year and I dont think he is in favor with the coaches. If Baas departs then we are only going to have two starters in place for next years Line.

Thats make me worry a little bit. How are we going to go to the playoffs next year without an Oline? We have a LT and a Center, That and a bunch of bench warmers.

So what are we going to do? Are we going to replace 3 starters on the line this off season? Without a decent line we are going to be trash again.
Is that the name of his band?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Replace 3 starters?

LT: Staley (returns)
OC: Heitmann (returns)
RG: Rachal (returns)

If the CBA doesn't get renewed, Baas will be a RFA. We can tender him for about 2-3 M for a 1 year deal, and he'll come back for sure.

Otherwise, I am sure Snyder will see time at either LG or RG next season. So we'll have some continuity in the offensive line.
We'll still have 3 starters (Staley, Heitmann and Rachal).

Baas is unlikely to stay with the team, unless he doesn't gain any interest around the league and we can sign him for cheap. Snyder possibly could get throw back inside, which probably better for his anyway. Snyder and Wragge look like the early favorites to compete for that spot. We certainly need some more talent at OG.

The same goes for RT. More talent at OT is an obvious need. We need to decide if Sims or Pashos should stay and compete; otherwise, we need to either bring in a FA or a rookie to compete for the spot.

It sounds bad, but the way Raye has been spreading defenses out (and the Shotgun) has really helped our Oline in protection. I expect to see plenty more of that in the future. Our Oline isn't really capable of protecting a QB from under center. Plus, Smith (like most QBs) is just more effective from the shotgun.
Originally posted by strickac:

Baas is unlikely to stay with the team, unless he doesn't gain any interest around the league and we can sign him for cheap. Snyder possibly could get throw back inside, which probably better for his anyway. Snyder and Wragge look like the early favorites to compete for that spot. We certainly need some more talent at OG.

The same goes for RT. More talent at OT is an obvious need. We need to decide if Sims or Pashos should stay and compete; otherwise, we need to either bring in a FA or a rookie to compete for the spot.

It sounds bad, but the way Raye has been spreading defenses out (and the Shotgun) has really helped our Oline in protection. I expect to see plenty more of that in the future. Our Oline isn't really capable of protecting a QB from under center. Plus, Smith (like most QBs) is just more effective from the shotgun.

he is not as bad as the biased zone says of him. Our oline as a unit has not given up a sack in the last 3 weeks
would baas be better at center?
Originally posted by 49erman5692:

he is not as bad as the biased zone says of him. Our oline as a unit has not given up a sack in the last 3 weeks

Compared to the rest of the starting LGs in the NFL, he's average at best.

The reason we're not giving up sacks is because we're spreading team out and allowing Smith to play out of the Shotgun. He can see field better and recact to blitzes. Plus, teams are no longer able to stack the LOS as when we ran the ball so frequently.
I`m not so sure Chilo is the starter next year. He is young yes but he cant run block and he can barely pass block. I had high hopes for him but IMO he isnt playing up to par.

I think we bring in a free agent LG and draft a rookie tackle and another Gaurd late. Then I think we have a battle royal in camp for the RG position. Wragge, Chilo, Snyder, Rookie, etc.

I like Chilo but he looks more like a RT to me.
Originally posted by 49erman5692:

And I think we have rushed for a total of 100yds in those 3 games too. There is good and bad there.
Originally posted by MadMartz:
I`m not so sure Chilo is the starter next year. He is young yes but he cant run block and he can barely pass block. I had high hopes for him but IMO he isnt playing up to par.

I think we bring in a free agent LG and draft a rookie tackle and another Gaurd late. Then I think we have a battle royal in camp for the RG position. Wragge, Chilo, Snyder, Rookie, etc.

I like Chilo but he looks more like a RT to me.

Maybe it's more natural for him, but it's a scary thought to give him the outside. That's a lot more space for him to cover. If he's wiffing on the inside, I can just see speed rushers flying past him untouched.

Originally posted by hofer36:
would baas be better at center?

Baas would be better at fluffer.

He's a candy@ss, amigo.
Get rid of Baas, bench Chilo and Snyder. find a LG, RG and RT either in the draft or FA.
  • Pogity
  • Info N/A
Something's wrong, our younger Oline players aren't developing. We've either drafted badly or aren't coaching correctly.

I think we can scheme our way to pass protecting, but I'm really tired of seeing Gore run into a pile of bodies at the LOS, we can't run block for crap.
Originally posted by Pogity:
Something's wrong, our younger Oline players aren't developing. We've either drafted badly or aren't coaching correctly.

I think we can scheme our way to pass protecting, but I'm really tired of seeing Gore run into a pile of bodies at the LOS, we can't run block for crap.

It is all on coaching. McKittrick could turn anyone into a probowl lineman.
First, why pay someone if they're not measuring up. The key point is consistency. More often then not he doesn't open up holes to run through. So find someone who can.

2nd We MUST get a top tier Oline coach. Bob McKitrick [sp] developed excellent linmen. He also was a voice in the drafting selection. He knew his business. I don't know who is out there but we need to get that type of person.

3rd We paid big money to get a very good tackle in Staley. We need to step up and pay someone good money. We need to take a ROT with our first or second first round pick in the draft.

4th McC says we can get guards in te mid rounds that are very good. If that's so then why hasn't he done it. We need a big-time bad ass OG.
Share 49ersWebzone