LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

Why we have lost so many CLOSE GAMES

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Why we have lost so many CLOSE GAMES

And using logic....Rossum has been injured...BUT just because other teams have dropped him DOES NOT mean he would of been injured on our team let alone not fumbled away games like our replacements.

Again, just because other teams have dropped Rossum DOES NOT mean he could of helped us win 2 games
There are lots of reasons. Chalk it all up to "inconsistency". The cause for this "inconsistency" is a lack of confidence in what they are doing as a team, what their job's are within the system, and with eachother. IMO the root cause of this is the instability of coaching and players endured every year with this team. This next year is our first chance in a long time to remove the revolving door of coordinators, assistants, and players that have been moving through 4949 the last several years. This team is getting better but they need some consistency and hopefully that will come next year. Also, this team needs to finish strong by grabbing a sack and figuring out how to close out some games to finish THIS season.
Youth
The team is young and will only get better
see what happened to the Saints
Last year they lost a lot of close games as well
That has only made them better now
lack of talent
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Well 2 of the games we were way down and just managed to scrape our way back into the game (Houston and Green Bay).

As for Minnesota, Tennessee and Seattle we just had some bad plays at the worst time. Its a shame cause we can look back and wonder what if legitimately about 3 of the games. Oh well.
Combination of all 3
There are a lot of reasons:

Inconsistency
We are losing the turnover battle during a game. Games we won we had more
turnovers or were equal.
Offensive Line, Marvel Smith was suppose to be huge addition instead FA bust,
Rachel and Snyder have not gotten the job done and Staley is out. The only
positive is Sims and Heitmann.
Out coached in the second half of games.
Injuries and flat out poor play in the secondary. One 1st round pick should be
used on Mays or Houston
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
There are a lot of reasons:

Inconsistency
We are losing the turnover battle during a game. Games we won we had more
turnovers or were equal.
Offensive Line, Marvel Smith was suppose to be huge addition instead FA bust,
Rachel and Snyder have not gotten the job done and Staley is out. The only
positive is Sims and Heitmann.
Out coached in the second half of games.
Injuries and flat out poor play in the secondary. One 1st round pick should be
used on Mays or Houston

I do not get the hype about Mays, I have seen three USC games this year and he has looked like a liability in coverage. He looks like someone that should be playing OLB instead of safety. If we draft a safety there are much better ones out there to be had.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We don't know how to "finish."
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The coach mostly. Plus drops, fumbles, reverses and fumbles when we don't need it. Poor timeout and clock management.

That's player performance

Or bad coaching, coaches teach the players, make sure they have good fundamentals, make sure they know their jobs. Coaches need to know the strengths and weakness of the players in order to feature their strengths and hide their weaknesses.

If a player has more weaknesses the strengths, he should seldom see the field, if he makes the team at all.

If the coaches feel a player deserves to play and the player fails, who sent him on the field?

It is seldom just the players or just the coaches.

Of the five teams that are currently 5-7, the Niners have the best point differential (+12). In other words, they have played somewhat better than their W-L record. This is in striking contrast to the early Nolan years, when they were getting blown out by huge scores every week, and they didn't "deserve" the small number of wins that they managed. Teams that lose a lot of close games one year often do dramatically better the next year. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
well we had leads in the minnesota, indy, titans, and hawks game so i think coaching only goes so far and then its the players job to finish

I don't think we did so bad this year for the simple fact we did'nt get blown out with the exception of the atlanta game. The NINERS are a young team from the players up to the ownership and management. We lost close games due in part to mistakes all around from game management to player errors to ownership overlooking key areas on the o/l problems. Can't predict key players getting injured thru the season. A lot of vet posters on this blog have stated we won't make the p/o this season and we'll soon find out that they may be right. Our close game losses will be victories soon enough as soon as we get some continuity on this team. No matter its been a great and exciting season, even if we did lose those close games.It hurts but at the same time I'm happy to see the steps that has been taken. Sing will adjust his game and t/o managment, because he knows he has to in order to keep that position. 2010 is just around the corner.
Originally posted by TRAVELER_9ER:
I don't think we did so bad this year for the simple fact we did'nt get blown out with the exception of the atlanta game. The NINERS are a young team from the players up to the ownership and management. We lost close games due in part to mistakes all around from game management to player errors to ownership overlooking key areas on the o/l problems. Can't predict key players getting injured thru the season. A lot of vet posters on this blog have stated we won't make the p/o this season and we'll soon find out that they may be right. Our close game losses will be victories soon enough as soon as we get some continuity on this team. No matter its been a great and exciting season, even if we did lose those close games.It hurts but at the same time I'm happy to see the steps that has been taken. Sing will adjust his game and t/o managment, because he knows he has to in order to keep that position. 2010 is just around the corner.

2010 maybe jus around the corner but the season isnt. the offseason seems like forever. h3!! getting to the draft alone seems like forever. that's just the half way point. but i see your point. GO NINERS!!! in the 2010 season
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Youth
The team is young and will only get better
see what happened to the Saints
Last year they lost a lot of close games as well
That has only made them better now

1 Redskins 28.02
2 Saints 27.99
3 Cardinals 27.74
3 Patriots 27.74
5 Lions 27.62
6 49ers 27.51