LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 208 users in the forums

Why we have lost so many CLOSE GAMES

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Why we have lost so many CLOSE GAMES

We have lost 3 games by 3 points, 1 game by 4 points, 1 game by 6 points and 1 game by 7 points. This season has been very frustrating because they have had the opportunity to win every game besides the Atlants game. So why are we losing these games? Personally, I feel that our opponents' halftime adjustments are much better than ours.
The coach mostly. Plus drops, fumbles, reverses and fumbles when we don't need it. Poor timeout and clock management.
Allen Rossum comes to mind...so many other players could have been cut to make room for Crabtree...namely, Michael Spurlock, who ended up getting cut anyways..

and sadly as it is to say it, Frank isn't a spread offense style runner, so either he runs out of the spread with little success, or when we come into pro formations for him to run, the defense already knows its coming..if we really are committing to the spread style attack, not only would i like to see us get a shifty type back, but id like to see Frank get traded...not only for us, but because the guy really deserves to play somewhere where his style of play will be utilized..everyone knows he would stay dear in all 49er fans hearts...and gosh it would be incredibly hard to see him go
So frustrating.
Obviously it's a lot of things keeping them from winning close games. I think this team is finding it's true identity. It's been a roller coaster of a season and i'm excited to see what they can do here on out. Playoffs or not.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
We have lost 3 games by 3 points, 1 game by 4 points, 1 game by 6 points and 1 game by 7 points. This season has been very frustrating because they have had the opportunity to win every game besides the Atlants game. So why are we losing these games? Personally, I feel that our opponents' halftime adjustments are much better than ours.

could you edit your choices please
they're just not enough of 'hem
Then add the "all of the above" choice
That's the one i will select
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The coach mostly. Plus drops, fumbles, reverses and fumbles when we don't need it. Poor timeout and clock management.

That's player performance
Front office.
  • PlayAction
  • Info N/A
Does a combinaton of all three apply? IMO the Niners inconsistent play AND play calling have been the problem. Coach Sing isn't fumbling punt returns or promising drives away, or throwing ints; Coach Raye isn't dropping so many passes a game that would be going for first downs or TD's. Have they made mistakes? Hell Yes! I'm sure many of us who saw it remember those 3 stubborn runs into the Oline on that late drive in Minny game where one first down would have iced it. Or last weeks Seattle game where Niners had two chances to convert 3 yards to keep the possible winning drive going..THREE F@#$%* yds; BUT the play read & call (according to ASmith) was to go down the field. Wrong!

As a long time Niner fan I was very hopeful on a 9 and 7 (or better) season which I thought might win the division, or good shot at playoffs. Reality is this team is not there yet. Close but no cigar. I read plenty of criticism on these boards about the offense, Sing and Raye, Smith etc...but what about Manusky and this defense? Shame that a defense that can hold PManning to ZERO td passes couldn't hold Farve or Hasselback down long enough to get the wins; or couldn't beat a Titans team that was on the ropes, or a Gbay team that had given up the most sacks in NFL. Yeah every game is different. Seems like when the offense plays well, scores 25 points or more, the defense or special teams gets sick and vice versa.

Since over 90% of the shopping for this team was already done by "chef" Scotty Mac, coach Sing & Raye can only "cook" with the ingredients on hand.

Speaking only for myself I'm willing to give Sing, Raye and even ASmith another year of my time and patience before i start writing letters and wasting phone calls to Jed York, willing to see what the 2010 draft and offseason brings.
keeping the faith in SF.
GO NINERS!!!
FINISH STRONG!
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

That's player performance

Whos job is it to have players ready?

because we're not a good team, yep that sounds about right...
Our guys are close, but not good enough. Pretty obvious.
It would be easy to pick one single thing to put this on, but the reality of this is it is a combination of many things that have kept this team from winning those close ones. I am just thankful that we are getting better as a team and look forward to the day that will soon arrive where we win these close ones. This team, including it's rookie head coach, is still in the learning process. You can have all the talent in the world, but until you learn how to win as a team, you won't.
well we had leads in the minnesota, indy, titans, and hawks game so i think coaching only goes so far and then its the players job to finish
Largely because we have no killer instinct...which stems from lack of an identity, which stems from largely ineffective leadership. That about sums it up.
Share 49ersWebzone