Of our seven losses, here's the breakdown of margin of defeat:

Minn- 3 points
Seattle- 3 points
Houston- 3 points
Indy- 4 points
Tenn- 7 points
GB- 6 points
ATL- 35 points

Look, I'm aware that a loss is a loss and that we've lost close games in the past. However, most of our losses the past several seasons have looked much more like the loss we suffered to ATL this year than they do the others.

As much as this season was another huge disappointment, I rely on this statistic the most. The fact that 6 of our 7 losses came by a TD or less says something. This team has been in every goddamn game this year.

Despite the fact that I hate Jimmy Raye's persistent calls of comeback routes and 3 yard outs when we need 8 for a first, I'm not ready to call this team and staff a failure. We've made a lot of progress and calling for coaches' heads is premature at this point. Give this team a second year with the staff and players in tact and see what we can do. If 2010 is a failure, then we move forward and make changes.
By the rapid response rate, I see many of you share the same sentiment
In the ownership column (internal scores) we are 11 - 1 with Victories + Moral Victories + Close Games. Stay the course. We are on the right track and have great value at the HC position.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
In the ownership column (internal scores) we are 11 - 1 with Victories + Moral Victories + Close Games. Stay the course. We are on the right track and have great value at the HC position.

Obviously the sarcasm screams right through your post SanDiego. You're the consummate neg-head.

I, too am a cynic and I'm not one of the blind-faith dreamers that parade around this site. I'm just as sick of the losses as well and as I mentioned, I know there's no such thing as moral victories and I don't celebrate them. I'm thoroughly upset with this franchise and I do fear that they are clueless.

The problem is that we're stuck between a rock and a hard place. I hate to say it but I'd prefer continuity over getting a new guy in and starting all over again. Especially when it's only been one year of football for christ sake. After year 2, I'm with you.

I feel that many fans have become too knee-jerk in their approach to this franchise just because we've been in the doldrums for so long.
LOL, ya'll better stop with the moral victories. LOL. But nah seriously i heard MOntana say this this year, that what separates the good from the bad teams, isnt the decided blowouts, it's the close games that separate the good teams from the bad.

I take by the numbers as meaning we are on the verge of something special finally. And that maybe with a little tweaking in the offseason, we'll actually be able to be on the winning side of those close games.

I mean just take INdy, Peyton scored 0td's against us, the Wr did and they won. Next game he threw 3 tds, and they one. So it's like the good teams find a way. And i think we are well on our way.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Obviously the sarcasm screams right through your post SanDiego. You're the consummate neg-head.

I, too am a cynic and I'm not one of the blind-faith dreamers that parade around this site. I'm just as sick of the losses as well and as I mentioned, I know there's no such thing as moral victories and I don't celebrate them. I'm thoroughly upset with this franchise and I do fear that they are clueless.

The problem is that we're stuck between a rock and a hard place. I hate to say it but I'd prefer continuity over getting a new guy in and starting all over again. Especially when it's only been one year of football for christ sake. After year 2, I'm with you.

I feel that many fans have become too knee-jerk in their approach to this franchise just because we've been in the doldrums for so long.

1) Your fear is well founded. They are CLUELESS.

2) We are stuck between John YORKIE + Jed YORKIE + Denise Debartolo YORKIE + Scot mcLOSER + singFRAUD = FAIL.
Imagine if Nolan was coaching.

Those loss totals would be tripled.

- ''At least we didn't get blown out.''

-Mike Nolan.
that's wtf im talking bout. i'm one the fans who has been defending this team this year & not calling for a new coach & staff. buuut the oline coach has to go. hate on coach sign all you want but he's done a good job & is a rookie. the numbers don't lie. we ARE going to turn the corner, hopefully good enough to be back to the dynasty days. the niners have been on the field with the nfls best & have taken leads into the 4th or just come up short on comebacks. knock coach signs gm mgmt & rayes play calling all you want but signs gm mgmt always seems to put us in the position to score & raye dials up the right plays for us to score but the PLAYERS have been the ones dropping tds, crucial passes or fumbling the ball away. Hopefully between experience period & especially this year, the draft & FA, continuity, chemistry, the PLAYERS step, the niners take it to the next level & EVEN get us tied for superbowls win & beyond starting in 2010.
That just shows that if we eliminate the mistakes and stop beating our selvs we would be one of the top teams in the league, Were close!
Great posts I am seeing although some seem to be slightly too much with things about getting to the superbowl and etc.....

Well the playoffs are a start and we can get there, I believe we should put the coaches aside and focus more on our players and what mistakes they make. If you look at those close games we lost as the first person mentioned, most of those have to do with the decisions made by our own players, sure you could say that their decisions had to do with what the coaches told them to do, but I believe that our players could have made much easier and better decisions. Against the Hawks, ok I understand if you'd like to say that it was not the best idea to have that corner, whoever he was #20 and have him one-on-one with their WR, yes that could've determined where the game went but what if you look at something before that, on that 3rd and 3, Alex should have looked to the flats or for a short route or scrambled, SOMETHING except for a long throw, that is what I am talking about because if our players play smart, we won't have to blame the coaches for anything.........

Exactly. My point is that I see a great deal of progress. Unfortunately, that has not translated to more wins which is terrible. But this looks like a team that is ready to take the next step in 2010, as MadDog's prophetic post indicated during the summer.
Share 49ersWebzone