LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Alex Smith's Passer Rating

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He is obviously very legit. But the Alex haters (Hillusionists) will weap and knash their teath and hate on Alex no matter what he does. We have problems at various positions on this team and at various coaching and organizational levels.

But Alex is not a problem for this team. He is a solution if we can put a good O Line around him and give him some additional good weapons. That and continue to fill the defensive holes.

I agree with that. Our focus should be on other positions in the offseason. I still support brining in a Veteran backup QB and Hill remain as our 3rd sting guy. The amount of support for Hill on these boards is beyond crazy. The guy is a project and went low in the draft for a reason. Sure he did well against guys that are delivering pizzas now....
Originally posted by Joecool:
What's funny is that I remember when JTO started last year and put up nice numbers that posters on here were saying things like what good are numbers if he isn't helping us win.

We are basically in the same situation now.

Look, Alex is playing very well but the hate on Hill is comedic and near hypocritical because now that your boy is starting, the fact that Hill was a part of more wins than losses doesn't mean a damn thing. The fact that Alex has really only helped this team win 1 out of 4 games doesn't mean a damn thing anymore.

It's just funny how Hill gets criticized yet he was the only QB who came through when needed and helped get us wins.

So far, Alex = JTO minus the fumbles. They both put up nice numbers and throw a pretty pass, but there's something just not there.

LOL.

Hill doesn't put up good #'s and he doesn't throw a good pass. "It comes down like a punt and the WR's can't catch it." And I don't care about JTO. What does he have to do with anything? What season is this?

That "punt" was catchable and should have been a TD. Seriously, who's fault was that?

2 wins and no playoffs for yo boy.
He is obviously very legit. But the Alex haters (Hillusionists) will weap and knash their teath and hate on Alex no matter what he does. We have problems at various positions on this team and at various coaching and organizational levels.

But Alex is not a problem for this team. He is a solution if we can put a good O Line around him and give him some additional good weapons. That and continue to fill the defensive holes.

So now THOSE are problems? What were they win Hill was winning? What were they when Gore was out? I guess Hill was the problem then, right? Now, we got a 300 yard passer and the QB isn't the problem anymore.

Hill won with THOSE problems.
What's funny is that I remember when JTO started last year and put up nice numbers that posters on here were saying things like what good are numbers if he isn't helping us win.

Look, Alex is playing very well but the hate on Hill is comedic and near hypocritical because now that your boy is starting, the fact that Hill was a part of more wins than losses doesn't mean a damn thing. The fact that Alex has really only helped this team win 1 out of 4 games doesn't mean a damn thing anymore.

It's just funny how Hill gets criticized yet he was the only QB who came through when needed and helped get us wins.

So far, Alex = JTO minus the fumbles. They both put up nice numbers and throw a pretty pass, but there's something just not there.

LOL.

Hill doesn't put up good #'s and he doesn't throw a good pass. "It comes down like a punt and the WR's can't catch it." And I don't care about JTO. What does he have to do with anything? What season is this?

That "punt" was catchable and should have been a TD. Seriously, who's fault was that?

There is no playoffs for Hillusionist either this year. It's beyond the QB position. This is not a real good team overall and we have a horrible coach at game day decisions.

The Steelers are 6 - 7 and won't make the playoffs because Rothlesburger is a terrible QB...

So now THOSE are problems? What were they win Hill was winning? What were they when Gore was out? I guess Hill was the problem then, right? Now, we got a 300 yard passer and the QB isn't the problem anymore.

The O LINE was less injured and playing at a 1,000 times higher level early in the year with Hillusionist. And the D. was at it's absolute peak but has gone down later on in the season.

LOL.

There is no playoffs for Hillusionist either this year. It's beyond the QB position. This is not a real good team overall and we have a horrible coach at game day decisions.

The Steelers are 6 - 7 and won't make the playoffs because Rothlesburger is a terrible QB...

I'm sorry but Hill provided us with a winning record with Gore healthy, so you can't say we wouldn't have made the playoffs because with Hill at QB, we have NEVER lost to a team we were supposed to beat on paper.

Since then, we lost to TEN and SEA. From Hill's resume when starting, he would have helped us get 2 more wins than we have at this time.

The O LINE was less injured and playing at a 1,000 times higher level early in the year with Hillusionist. And the D. was at it's absolute peak but has gone down later on in the season.

Put Hill in the Shotgun and run the types of routes the Pats run, you know, the shorter crossing routes and I bet he plays better. The OL gave up more sacks earlier in the year.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
I'm not sure on how QB ratings are asset....but I gotta assume ALex's would be higher if VD, Morgan, Crabz...made those catches....When do we hold THEM ACCOUNTABLE?
Originally posted by Nes49:
I'm not sure on how QB ratings are asset....but I gotta assume ALex's would be higher if VD, Morgan, Crabz...made those catches....When do we hold THEM ACCOUNTABLE?

Everyone is holding them accountable for this loss yet Hill is held accountable for a pass that came down like a punt to a WR who let it slip between his arms that would have gone for a TD. For some reason, the drops when Hill played weren't drops anymore.

LOL.

I'm sorry but Hill provided us with a winning record with Gore healthy, so you can't say we wouldn't have made the playoffs because with Hill at QB, we have NEVER lost to a team we were supposed to beat on paper.

Since then, we lost to TEN and SEA. From Hill's resume when starting, he would have helped us get 2 more wins than we have at this time.

Ten was at their peak. The peak of their run and C.J. was a 4.2 speed mad man. Unstoppable.

Sea

~ 9 drops
~ Gore fumble
~ Reverse fumble (-7)
~ Go 4th down don't get it (-3)
~ Timeout first play of the game (great perparation)
~ All 3 timeouts in the 1st Q. (great clock mgmt)
~ (-10 overall on the coach)

It was Alex's fault...

Originally posted by jreff22:
I support the kid but he hasn't started all year, if he can do this over 16+ games he has my 100% vote of approval.

He can do it all season. He's been the same exact guy all season. Sing just didn't play him at the beginning of the year but probably should have. There are lots of things Sing should have done but he is very dumb.

I don't know why you call him dumb, Smith didn't beat out Hill for starting QB. Once a change needed to be made Sing made it, just like he has done at every other position this year.

His coaching and personnel decisions are what makes him dumb. The list of grievances is so long I will hurt my fingers typing it because it's so long. Just watch the games and the personnel decisions and anybody can tell sing is not a legit coach of the future.

Like jed york says he represents great value for the ownership and senior management but he is not a good coach. You may be able to argue he is a good motivator but it take more than a motivator to be a good coach.

What personnel decisions make you this mad....? We are a team that his been riddled with injuries and he's making best with what he has. Raye is calling the O and Manusky is calling the D, what you're looking for I'm not sure of. Yes he has made some questionable decisions but he is a rookie HC and ALL coaches make mistakes, that's reality.

When did Jed York say that Sing is not a good coach?

jed york says that everyday on this very WZ.

~ Start Morgan over Jason Hill...
~ Start Hillusionist at the beginning of the year instead of Alex...
~ Play I formation for 1/2 the year until he finally figures out the spread would be good for the personnel of this team when the media and fans tell him...
~ Timeout 1st play of the game...
~ Burn 3 timeouts in the 1st quarter (great clock management)...
~ Go 4th down and don't get it and leave 3 on the field (-3).
~ Do a reverse on kick return which isn't necessary and the game is in hand. Give the other team the ball at the 10 and an almost free 7 points...(-7)
~ Play Chilo and Baas over and over despite their troubles when Wragge has proven to be steady although not spectacular.
~ Cut our return man Rossum. Resulted in 2 losses (Houston and Seatte) - 2 GAMES...
~ Got Nate Clements hurt putting him back as a return man. Even NoWin knew to never put him back as a return man to preserve his health...
~ Get outcoached, outschemed and outdone on X's and O's in every game.

Ok from the top......

Go 4th down and don't get it and leave 3 on the field- Are conversion rate on 4th downs is one of the best in the league and Sing has balls. It's a gamble that didn't work this time but statistically usually does.

To add on, some folks get a kick out of passing the blame on failed 4th down attempts (Walker's drop on the uncalled Pass Interference)....then don't give credit for successful 4th down calls that result in VD walking into the end zone!

LOL.

Ten was at their peak. The peak of their run and C.J. was a 4.2 speed mad man. Unstoppable.

Sea

~ 9 drops
~ Gore fumble
~ Reverse fumble (-7)
~ Go 4th down don't get it (-3)
~ Timeout first play of the game (great perparation)
~ All 3 timeouts in the 1st Q. (great clock mgmt)
~ (-10 overall on the coach)

It was Alex's fault...

Why don't you count how many times Alex threw the ball in the TEN game and how many times he turned the ball over?

That's what I thought, post his good game and say it was his fault but ignore the game where he handed the win to TEN.

TEN was at their peak? They were 1-6 when we played them. WOW, a 1-game win streak.

Don't forget the MIN loss without Gore. It was Hill's fault, right?

[ Edited by Joecool on Dec 11, 2009 at 10:22:55 ]
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I still haven't figured out the the QB rating stat, and never take it too seriously. Completion percentage tells me much more. He's completing a very nice percentage, which means he's becoming consistent. Just gotta turn this into 3rd down production. .

in the nfl

Completion Percentage
a = ((comp/att x 100) – 30) x .05

Average Yards Per Attempt
b = (yards/att – 3) x .25

Percentage of Touchdown Passes
c = (td/att) x 20

Percentage of Interceptions
d = 2.375 – (int/att x 25)

If the result in any category is less than 0, the given result should be 0. If the result in any category is greater than 2.375, the given result should be 2.375.

After you figure those out you can use the Passer Rating NFL formula

(a + b + c + d)/6 x 100

maximum possible quarterback rating for the NFL 158.3.

A perfect rating requires at least a 77.5% completion rate, at least 12.5 yards per attempt, a touchdown on at least 11.875% of attempts, and no interceptions.

it's not fair to judge a QB on just any one stat

How did you ever figure that out? I don't believe half the NFL coaches know how to figure that out!!!!!!!
Alex didn't loose the Tennessee game, the defense did. The D couldn't stop Vince Young and Chris Johnson. If Haralson had made that tackle on 4th and goal we would have had that game won.

Also, Alex is not 2-4, the 49ERS are 2-4. Coach said in his press conference that Alex doesn't tackle on defense, and Alex doesn't drop passes and fumbles the ball. The whole team should be reflected on their win-loss record.

To say that Hill is the reason for the 3-1 start is ludicrous. Hill has struggled the entire season and didn't really contribute much to the success of the early start. If credit was to be given for the start, it would have to be given to the defense since the defense was the reason we were put in a position to win those games.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I still haven't figured out the the QB rating stat, and never take it too seriously. Completion percentage tells me much more. He's completing a very nice percentage, which means he's becoming consistent. Just gotta turn this into 3rd down production. .

there have been a good amount of third downs where he makes a good pass but it is incomplete....The team needs to improve in this area
Share 49ersWebzone