There are 158 users in the forums

Jason Hill vs. Josh Morgan.

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Jason Hill vs. Josh Morgan.

• TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
They are both late round draft picks for a reason. Hill is overhyped by the Cali folks, and those who love .4 0 times. Morgan was overhyped by folks in general on this board. they both are barely average WR's that most on the board overhyped. Hopefully one of them can step it up a notch but I woudn't be surprised if they don't.

This. Hill's speed is vastly overrated, I don't care about his 40, he's not football fast. Neither is all that impressive or fast.
Hill & Morgan both lack speed. Hill just does a better job catching the ball with his hands while Morgan almost always traps ball with his chest. That means Hill would get a better % of the 50/50 balls thrown his way, so I'd put Hill in at this point. If he can't produce more than Morgan, than at least you know who to cut next year.

But the major difference between Morgan & Hill is that one has simply had more opportunity to demonstrate his mediocrity. Neither look like the answer at this point.
Originally posted by Overkill:
Hill & Morgan both lack speed. Hill just does a better job catching the ball with his hands while Morgan almost always traps ball with his chest. That means Hill would get a better % of the 50/50 balls thrown his way, so I'd put Hill in at this point. If he can't produce more than Morgan, than at least you know who to cut next year.

But the major difference between Morgan & Hill is that one has simply had more opportunity to demonstrate his mediocrity. Neither look like the answer at this point.

Hill runs a 4.32...
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
I think this coaching staff is somewhat blind. How can they not see the potential in Jason Hill??

singFRAUD?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Hill runs a 4.32...

Wow! Astute observation there, Al Davis.

You can base your estimation of his speed on his forty time. Or you could do something revolutionary like - oh I don't know - watch the game.

Hill is not now, and has never been, a burner. He's quicker in & out of his cuts than Morgan, but the straight line speed simply isn't there. That much is obvious on the field.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
When has this coaching staff ever been good at utilizing wide receivers unless they get hit with a sure fire 1st round pick?

Antonio Bryant, Arnaz Battle, Darrell Jackson, Brandon Lloyd, Josh Morgan, Jason Hill, Brandon Jones, Michael Spurlock, Brian Gilmore, Bryant Johnson, Dominique Zeigler, Ashley Lelie, Taylor Jacobs...

Outside of our offensive line woes, McCloughan is absolutely the worst at evaluating, acquiring, and utilizing WRs in our offensive system.
I'm not sure at this point, but I know that Morgan is a great blocker down field due to his size and physicality...I like Hill as he has shown play making abilities when given the chance...I like Morgan, Hill, Crabtree as our starting WRs going forward so start using more 3WR sets!

Hill runs a 4.32...

You can base your estimation of his speed on his forty time. Or you could do something revolutionary like - oh I don't know - watch the game.

Hill is not now, and has never been, a burner. He's quicker in & out of his cuts than Morgan, but the straight line speed simply isn't there. That much is obvious on the field.

He's much, much faster than Morgan in game speed any day of the week. He's not Chris Johnson for game speed or even Percy Harvin but few people are. The point is he is a huge upgrade even in game speed (not 40 speed) over Morgan. Anybody can see that. Morgan routinely gets caught from behind, gives up on routes and tips the ball into the air for interceptions and complains "the ball comes down like a punt."

Morgan = most overrated guy on this board. Along with Delanie Walker (not sure why he is on the team).

Hill runs a 4.32...

He's much, much faster than Morgan in game speed any day of the week. He's not Chris Johnson for game speed or even Percy Harvin but few people are. The point is he is a huge upgrade even in game speed (not 40 speed) over Morgan. Anybody can see that. Morgan routinely gets caught from behind, gives up on routes and tips the ball into the air for interceptions and complains "the ball comes down like a punt."

Morgan = most overrated guy on this board. Along with Delanie Walker (not sure why he is on the team).

I agree with the bolded.

Hill is quicker in his cuts, but NEITHER one of them is out-running anybody on game days.

Saying Hill is "much, much faster" than Morgan (on a straightline basis) is wishful thinking and simply has no basis in reality. You're just in love with the backup because the starter ain't getting it done.

Hill runs a 4.32...

I agree with the bolded.

Hill is quicker in his cuts, but NEITHER one of them is out-running anybody on game days.

Saying Hill is "much, much faster" than Morgan (on a straightline basis) is wishful thinking and simply has no basis in reality. You're just in love with the backup because the starter ain't getting it done.

Hill has come through when given the chance and that's all that matters. His is a quicker receiver and effective in the shorter routes. He should not be replacing Morgan but Hill needs to be used more.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Jason Hill is and always be a back up player.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Who would you rather play? IMO it's Jason Hill. He's faster, runs better routes and has better hands. Morgan gives up on routes, tips the ball into the air for interceptions and gets caught from behind.

I also don't buy the "well Singletary made him the starter so he is better." Sing also cut our return guy. Look what that got us. Sing also didn't know who his best QB was until 1/2 the season was gone. Sing also calls reverses when the game is in hand so we can fumble and give the other team the ball around the 10. And he calls timeouts on the first play of the game (great preparation).

I don't buy the argument that just becuase Sing does it he knows what he is doing. IMO it has proven this year he DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE IS DOING.

So what is the WZ vote?

Where is the "Both" option?
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
IMO morgan should stay on the field but, i do agree that hill should see more time

This

Hill runs a 4.32...

I think we can all agree Hill does not reflect his 4.32 speed on the field, but is faster than Morgan, which isn't saying much, since he (Morgan) seems painfully slow at times. It's ironic that our faster receivers, Jones (who probably IS the fastest receiver) and Hill spend more time on the bench than the over-rated and underachieving Morgan. And both have gotten good marks on prior performances. Sing seems to be penalizing Jones for being injured, else how can you explain that the most impressive receiver in camp can't buy any playing time?
It's equally ironic that both our tight ends are faster than any of our receivers.
I'd like to see both Hill and Jones get more reps now that the playoffs are highly unlikely.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:

Hill runs a 4.32...

I think we can all agree Hill does not reflect his 4.32 speed on the field, but is faster than Morgan, which isn't saying much, since he (Morgan) seems painfully slow at times. It's ironic that our faster receivers, Jones (who probably IS the fastest receiver) and Hill spend more time on the bench than the over-rated and underachieving Morgan. And both have gotten good marks on prior performances. Sing seems to be penalizing Jones for being injured, else how can you explain that the most impressive receiver in camp can't buy any playing time?
It's equally ironic that both our tight ends are faster than any of our receivers.
I'd like to see both Hill and Jones get more reps now that the playoffs are highly unlikely.

We don't know if he's faster than Morgan. Morgan has gotten behind DBs where Hill has not. Who knows, maybe his 4.32 became a 4.6 after you throw on the 10 pounds of pads.
Share 49ersWebzone