LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 145 users in the forums

Jimmy Raye's "predictable" play calling helping Alex Smith?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Alex making the play call at the LOS.

Quote:
The 49ers typically go with two plays in the huddle and if the defense shows eight in the box or a run-stopping front, quarterback Alex Smith will choose pass.
Originally posted by DesiDez:

Quote:
The 49ers typically go with two plays in the huddle and if the defense shows eight in the box or a run-stopping front, quarterback Alex Smith will choose pass.

He's still picking between a run and pass play that Raye has designed.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Winners:
I was wondering, if people in here think that Jimmy Raye and his simple, predictable play calling has actually helped Alex Smith this year? If so, should we keep both of them next year?

I mean, we all know the quote about Smith needing to fully understand the system to shine, and he's shined this year, so I'm wondering if that's because Jimmy Raye has something to do with it.

We should probably keep Raye because he has a good connection with Smith. It's not like his plays haven't really worked. I mean look at the plays he called vs Seattle, that should've been 38 points were it not for drops and the fumble. He's done a good job getting the best out of Vernon too. My only problem with Raye is his stubborn approach of all or nothing and lack of feel for the game. But Martz seemed to have the same problem going pass pass pass or run run run and not mixing it up well enough, so at least Raye does a good job utilizing our players like VD and Delanie.

I think our shotgun O AND our under center game would get a whole lot better if he adds to the play book. There needs to be more plays from the shotgun since like you said we only have 10-15, and we also need more tosses in the running game, or some runs out of the shotgun, just stuff to mix it up so they don't always know we're running it up the middle. Like I liked that play in the ATL game 2nd and goal or whatever and we ran a toss to Coffee outside and got an easy TD off it.

FIRE Mummy Raye!! Good connection?? I dont think so. VD, Crabs, and specially A. Smith are excellent players, they just needed more passing plays.
Raye lost the game vs seattle with his pathetic playcalling with less than a minute. He's not helping alex, alex is helping himself, and the playcalling is not helping the team.
Originally posted by fly15:
I was wondering, if people in here think that Jimmy Raye and his simple, predictable play calling has actually helped Alex Smith this year? If so, should we keep both of them next year?

I mean, we all know the quote about Smith needing to fully understand the system to shine, and he's shined this year, so I'm wondering if that's because Jimmy Raye has something to do with it.

We should probably keep Raye because he has a good connection with Smith. It's not like his plays haven't really worked. I mean look at the plays he called vs Seattle, that should've been 38 points were it not for drops and the fumble. He's done a good job getting the best out of Vernon too. My only problem with Raye is his stubborn approach of all or nothing and lack of feel for the game. But Martz seemed to have the same problem going pass pass pass or run run run and not mixing it up well enough, so at least Raye does a good job utilizing our players like VD and Delanie.

I think our shotgun O AND our under center game would get a whole lot better if he adds to the play book. There needs to be more plays from the shotgun since like you said we only have 10-15, and we also need more tosses in the running game, or some runs out of the shotgun, just stuff to mix it up so they don't always know we're running it up the middle. Like I liked that play in the ATL game 2nd and goal or whatever and we ran a toss to Coffee outside and got an easy TD off it.

FIRE Mummy Raye!! Good connection?? I dont think so. VD, Crabs, and specially A. Smith are excellent players, they just needed more passing plays.
Raye lost the game vs seattle with his pathetic playcalling with less than a minute. He's not helping alex, alex is helping himself, and the playcalling is not helping the team.

yeah let's just fire our OC for the 8th consecutive year. it's worked out so well thus far.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matt49er:

yeah let's just fire our OC for the 8th consecutive year. it's worked out so well thus far.

"Dont tell me, Show me" Im glad u agree
Originally posted by matt49er:

Yes I agree. Although I don't think they should wait. They should have a pink slip and a box of his stuff waiting for him in his parking space. This I'm sure will solve all our problems. We'd be SuperBowl bound if only we can get rid of our 8th OC in 8 years.

Quote:

. . . while Payton Manning is singlehandedly responsible for all of the Colts' play designs?

[ Edited by NineFourNiner on Dec 12, 2009 at 07:41:46 ]
You are discounting that we have changed offensive style in the middle of the season, which according to many of the ex players on ESPN is one of the tougher things to deal with, especially when it is as radical of a change as we have made. If we upgrade the offensive line (players and coaches) we won't have to run the spread. The only reason the spread is working better than the pro system right now is because it is hiding the weakness of our offense, the offensive line. The myth that Smith can only play in the spread is just that...a myth. Last Sunday his TD throws were out of a pro style set with him under center. Address the o line problem and you fix the offense. The problem isn't Raye, it isn't Smith, it isn't Gore, or anyone else in the skill positions, it is our line that plays like a bunch of grandmas. Even Heitman, who many claim to be one of the better centers is not physically strong enough to keep from getting pushed into the backfield more often than not.
Agreed the interior oline stinks. They need to scrap the whole group. Chilo i just dont get it with this guy looks like he never even played football?
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Quote:

. . . while Payton Manning is singlehandedly responsible for all of the Colts' play designs?

WTF are you talking about? Peyton Manning is an offensive coordinator on the field, and he does fake audibles and real audibles and has a lot more things going on than "pick between this run play and this pass play depending on the defense"

Share 49ersWebzone