There are 239 users in the forums

Jimmy Raye's "predictable" play calling helping Alex Smith?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I was wondering, if people in here think that Jimmy Raye and his simple, predictable play calling has actually helped Alex Smith this year? If so, should we keep both of them next year?

I mean, we all know the quote about Smith needing to fully understand the system to shine, and he's shined this year, so I'm wondering if that's because Jimmy Raye has something to do with it.
predictable play calling?
this is a pretty retarted post. jimmy raye has completely changed 100% of the offense this season. didn't you watch the games?
Originally posted by matt49er:
this is a pretty retarted post. jimmy raye has completely changed 100% of the offense this season. didn't you watch the games?

Jimmy Raye and Singletary both said they only had about 10-15 spread offense type plays installed in their system. That's all they've been running lately, I'd call that pretty simple. Do you not pay attention to the 49ers at all?
Originally posted by RonMexico:
predictable play calling?
Originally posted by Winners:

Jimmy Raye and Singletary both said they only had about 10-15 spread offense type plays installed in their system. That's all they've been running lately, I'd call that pretty simple. Do you not pay attention to the 49ers at all?

i'll ask the question again have you watched the games?
All the Alex Smith lovers here are ready to blame the constant change in OC on his sucking the up until this year, yet don't want to give Raye credit for him blossoming?

Yes I do, and I've seen them run the same plays from the spread every game. They have 10-15 of them, by Sing and Rayes own count, and that's all they've been running. I'll ask you again, do you not pay attention to the 49ers at all?
predictable offensive playcalling usually helps the defense, not the offense imo.

Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
All the Alex Smith lovers here are ready to blame the constant change in OC on his sucking the up until this year, yet don't want to give Raye credit for him blossoming?

The kid stayed with it through the injury and his backup period behind Hill. He made good with the second chance he was given. So most of the credit is to not give up on himself and the team. Raye catered to what Sing and then the players, wanted out of the offense. If there's one person to take credit for Smith second time around other than himself , I would say Mike Johnson.
I was wondering, if people in here think that Jimmy Raye and his simple, predictable play calling has actually helped Alex Smith this year? If so, should we keep both of them next year?

I mean, we all know the quote about Smith needing to fully understand the system to shine, and he's shined this year, so I'm wondering if that's because Jimmy Raye has something to do with it.

We should probably keep Raye because he has a good connection with Smith. It's not like his plays haven't really worked. I mean look at the plays he called vs Seattle, that should've been 38 points were it not for drops and the fumble. He's done a good job getting the best out of Vernon too. My only problem with Raye is his stubborn approach of all or nothing and lack of feel for the game. But Martz seemed to have the same problem going pass pass pass or run run run and not mixing it up well enough, so at least Raye does a good job utilizing our players like VD and Delanie.

I think our shotgun O AND our under center game would get a whole lot better if he adds to the play book. There needs to be more plays from the shotgun since like you said we only have 10-15, and we also need more tosses in the running game, or some runs out of the shotgun, just stuff to mix it up so they don't always know we're running it up the middle. Like I liked that play in the ATL game 2nd and goal or whatever and we ran a toss to Coffee outside and got an easy TD off it.

Yes I do, and I've seen them run the same plays from the spread every game. They have 10-15 of them, by Sing and Rayes own count, and that's all they've been running. I'll ask you again, do you not pay attention to the 49ers at all?

why are you even paying attention to what Sing and Raye are saying? they denied they were even moving to the spread for a while. they are not going to come out and say we have like 1,000 spread plays. each play also has different variations also.

Also said we would be in the playoffs and we will be a smash mouth team.
Share 49ersWebzone