Jed York on KNBR 12/10/09

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by posterX:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Glad to know that both the coach and the GM will be back. It will be pretty damn stupid to fire everyone and start again. We may finally have a franchise QB, and if we get a new GM and coach - they are likely to bring their own guy. No thank you.

I don't understand why everyone wants Scot to be fired. Look at his first round picks:

Alex Smith - looks like a franchise QB this year
Vernon Davis - Pro-bowl caliber TE
Manny Lawson - improving and having a pretty good second half
Willis - All pro LB since day 1
Staley - franchise LT
Balmer - too early to say either way
Crabtree - star in the making since day 1

He has pretty much hit on every pick. Lawson may not be a 10+ sack master, but he is a pretty decent starter. We have 2 first rounders this year, and seeing his track record in 1st round - I want Scot to make the picks.

2nd round hasn't been kind to him, but he hit jackpot in round 3 with Gore. Snyder has been a valuable backup and it's too early to say anything on Reggie Smith and Coffee. We have hit on couple of late rounds picks as well (Morgan, Haralson) and Nate Davis has shown some promise (only in Pre-season though).

Glad to know the almost achieving mediocrity is satisfying to you. 5-7 and a big thumbs up!!!!

Yeah...that's what I said. Since you are fairly new here, and don't know me, I don't think you are in position to make your own conclusions on my posts.

I believe, for this franchise to go in the right direction, we need continuity more than anything else. Firing coaches after every unsatisfactory season is a knee-jerk reaction, made by owners like Al Davis and Dan Snyder. So, no - to spell it out just for you...I'm not satisfied with our 5-7 record.

Continuity for continuity sakes. Come on, we need talent in the front office and on the coaching staff, not just continuity. Continuity sucks when you're choosing to continue on with this crew. Clean house Tuesday morning and we will be better off for it.

You gotta give a head-coach couple of years. Players are playin' hard for him, and haven't quit. I'm glad Jed York is making the decision, not some of the board members.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:
Glad to know that both the coach and the GM will be back. It will be pretty damn stupid to fire everyone and start again. We may finally have a franchise QB, and if we get a new GM and coach - they are likely to bring their own guy. No thank you.

I don't understand why everyone wants Scot to be fired. Look at his first round picks:

Staley - franchise LT

He has pretty much hit on every pick. Lawson may not be a 10+ sack master, but he is a pretty decent starter. We have 2 first rounders this year, and seeing his track record in 1st round - I want Scot to make the picks.

2nd round hasn't been kind to him, but he hit jackpot in round 3 with Gore. Snyder has been a valuable backup and it's too early to say anything on Reggie Smith and Coffee. We have hit on couple of late rounds picks as well (Morgan, Haralson) and Nate Davis has shown some promise (only in Pre-season though).

I want to see McCloughan diversify in his drafting of players. Like OTC/MadDog have said previously, McCloughan is big on the college program and physical dimensions. In addition, McCloughan loves versatility over pure ability.

Example: Rachal as OT and OG, Balmer at DE, DT, and NT, Snyder at OG and OT, R. Smith as CB and S, etc.

I agree with this somewhat. Scot can def. improve in some aspects. We have drafted players from small time programs in the first round. Alex Smith and Staley are examples of that. But I agree, we have often drafted players from SEC and big programs like Texas, USC, Penn State, Maryland, Virginia Tech.

The thing I dislike about Scot is, he reaches in later rounds. He is not good at maneuvering in the draft to get the players he want at the right spot. Again, this is not an easy thing to do, and very few can master this. But, he doesn't even try - which makes me very upset.

But, I really like the fact that he has made most of the 1st rounders count, and that is no small achievement. We couldn't afford to waste any 1st rounders, and he has made sure of that.

Staley - franchise LT

Glad to know the almost achieving mediocrity is satisfying to you. 5-7 and a big thumbs up!!!!

Yeah...that's what I said. Since you are fairly new here, and don't know me, I don't think you are in position to make your own conclusions on my posts.

I believe, for this franchise to go in the right direction, we need continuity more than anything else. Firing coaches after every unsatisfactory season is a knee-jerk reaction, made by owners like Al Davis and Dan Snyder. So, no - to spell it out just for you...I'm not satisfied with our 5-7 record.

Continuity for continuity sakes. Come on, we need talent in the front office and on the coaching staff, not just continuity. Continuity sucks when you're choosing to continue on with this crew. Clean house Tuesday morning and we will be better off for it.

You gotta give a head-coach couple of years. Players are playin' hard for him, and haven't quit. I'm glad Jed York is making the decision, not some of the board members.

Couple of years is not enough. Three, is the magic number, three years, two to serve internship and one to showcase what he learned.

Staley - franchise LT

I disagree! If you see something in a coach that makes you realize that coach needs time then you give it. That time should be for that coach to implement his scheme and to get the parts in place etc...

In this case our HC is still learning. You don't give a learning coach a couple years to learn. They should have learned before getting the job. All learning on the job does for a coach is ensure he doesn't last long at his current position.

I would like a few examples of 1st time HC's, especially HC's who were never anything more then a positional coach, who learned on the job and were successful in that intiail HC job, in the Modern NFL. The list will be REAL short, conversly I think you will find mostly, if not exclusively, failures for those candidates that fit the Singletary criteria of experience at the time of hire.

I like Singletary, however he is in over his head. He is learning x's and o's on the job. This is a recipe for disaster at this level. We will remain mediocre until Singletary is fired, and continue to be mediocre until we bring in a proven or experienced HC, offenseive minded for my own wishes.

[ Edited by WINiner on Dec 14, 2009 at 10:35:36 ]
Originally posted by WINiner:

Staley - franchise LT

I disagree! If you see something in a coach that makes you realize that coach needs time then you give it. That time should be for that coach to implement his scheme and to get the parts in place etc...

In this case our HC is still learning. You don't give a learning coach a couple years to learn. They should have learned before getting the job. All learning on the job does for a coach is ensure he doesn't last long at his current position.

I would like a few examples of 1st time HC's, especially HC's who were never anything more then a positional coach, who learned on the job and were successful in that intiail HC job, in the Modern NFL. The list will be REAL short, conversly I think you will find mostly, if not exclusively, failures for those candidates that fit the Singletary criteria of experience at the time of hire.

I like Singletary, however he is in over his head. He is learning x's and o's on the job. This is a recipe for disaster at this level. We will remain mediocre until Singletary is fired, and continue to be mediocre until we bring in a proven or experienced HC, offenseive minded for my own wishes.

This is totally and absolutely wrong. You quoted conventional approach, this franchises has a master plan to build the ever lasting dynasty. To build that ever lasting dynasty, we must hire people that has no experience so they can be a clean sheet of paper to learn and absorb the ownership's vision and philosophy.

We have successfully trained Paraage, from someone who never touched a football to become our VP of football operation. Paraage totally share the ownerhship's football philosophy. Paraag is also the most cost effective VP in the league.

The same goes for Scotty, he also interned under the ownership and in sync with the ownership's philosophy. Scotty is the best valued GM in the league.

Singletary's first 3 years with the organization must be discounted, he is now serving his internship with has another 1 year to go. Singletary is the best price performance HC in the league.

To build a dynasty, we must develop home grown top executives personally trained and tutored by the ownership.
Originally posted by WINiner:

Staley - franchise LT

Chuck Noll, Mike Ditka & John Madden . . . . all went from position coach to Superbowl Champion HC in their first go around . . . so long as those are modern enough for ya.

[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Dec 14, 2009 at 12:01:43 ]
Share 49ersWebzone