LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Jed York on KNBR 12/10/09

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
All that from the same idiot who guaranteed the 49ers season won't end in December anymore. Good to see another losing and playoff less season is satisfactory enough for this ownership that they want to keep things status quo. Now I know what Detroit Lions fans feel like.

Yes, because continuity means nothing in the NFL.

-9fA

Continuity of failure = more failure.

agreed!

The problem is that people are so starved for continuity that they will accept any type of continuity. I expect more out of my fellow Niner fans.
Originally posted by posterX:
All that from the same idiot who guaranteed the 49ers season won't end in December anymore. Good to see another losing and playoff less season is satisfactory enough for this ownership that they want to keep things status quo. Now I know what Detroit Lions fans feel like.

-9fA

agreed!

The problem is that people are so starved for continuity that they will accept any type of continuity. I expect more out of my fellow Niner fans.

Fans are loyal to the ownership and their trusted senior management.
Loyal fans understands the ownership has a master plan and are patiently executing it.
Originally posted by jed_york:

-9fA

agreed!

Loyal fans understands the ownership has a master plan and are patiently executing it.

So your telling me that our management has a master plan?? Dude Scotty is our brain trust on getting us the players, and he has not done a good job these last 2 years since he took over full gm duties. seriously he has dropped the ball. My uncle is a cfb o-line coach, and the last 2 drafts he's nailed it both on players we should've drafted. the problem lies in our scouts who scotty puts alot of trust in their word. the problem here is that alot of fans are upset with the obvious bone head draft moves or free agent signings. Especially this year. It's hard to be positive when management is wetting the bed & it's obvious!

-9fA

agreed!

So your telling me that our management has a master plan?? Dude Scotty is our brain trust on getting us the players, and he has not done a good job these last 2 years since he took over full gm duties. seriously he has dropped the ball. My uncle is a cfb o-line coach, and the last 2 drafts he's nailed it both on players we should've drafted. the problem lies in our scouts who scotty puts alot of trust in their word. the problem here is that alot of fans are upset with the obvious bone head draft moves or free agent signings. Especially this year. It's hard to be positive when management is wetting the bed & it's obvious!

First of all, Scotty has been doing heck of a job. But more importantly, Scotty is not a member of the senior management because Scotty is still on his internship for GM. He is allowed to sit in on senior staff meetings, and occasionally given the privilege to speak. by next year, Scotty will be finished with his internship and ready to apply what he learn in these two years on his job.

-9fA

agreed!

First of all, Scotty has been doing heck of a job. But more importantly, Scotty is not a member of the senior management because Scotty is still on his internship for GM. He is allowed to sit in on senior staff meetings, and occasionally given the privilege to speak. by next year, Scotty will be finished with his internship and ready to apply what he learn in these two years on his job.

WOW! his internship is over man. Last year was hsi first full yr as gm.
Originally posted by tmg808:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Jed York was on with Gary Radnich this morning . . . they spoke about the stadium status, and football/front office operations.

Three things I came away with . . .

1. He's got horse blinders on for the Santa Clara stadium site.
2. Singletary and McCloughan are absolutely safe for 2010.
3. Bringing in a Football Operations Czar is not on the radar.

Jed York 12-10-09 KNBR

I agree with all 3.

Has anybody noticed that 49ers have been a measuring stick for how the national media has viewed a lot of teams.
When Vikings beat the 49ers they were the talk of the town. When the Falcons beat the 49ers they were saying they were super bowl contenders. When Texans beat the 49ers, they will probably finally make the playoffs this year. When Titans beat the 49ers, The Titans may make the playoffs.

I know it hurts but there's a reason for this, the 49ers are closer than we as fans will give them credit for. Changing coaches as GM is like erasing everything and starting from scratch (Literally, they remodel the offices and everything) It looks like the 49ers are going in a positive direction.. I can see 8-8 this year which is an improvement from last, and gives me hope going forward

This week it's all about the niners, i was like were playing the cards. wtf i want people saying we suck so these boys get a fire light under there ass.
Alex done saved everyone's arses

who would've thunk it
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by danimal:

-9fA

Can it be any clearer than that? Seriously, these freaking teabags in charge are attempting to convince us that changes are not necessary. It's the same argument they put forward last off season when they convinced many that the only move necessary was the "removal of Nolan."

I do not think the york's have much respect for the fan base here, and for the most part, I can see why. The majority will believe in anything without question. They use this uncalled for loyalty as validation of their status as Niner fans. The york's use this uncalled for loyalty as validation that they are dealing with a bunch of suckers.

Right On Poster X.

Found this and thought it might apply here-
Loyalty is for blind followers
A loyal person is one who obeys without question or one who follows another person regardless of the path. A non-loyal person is one who thinks for himself and works for others in symbiotic relationships but easily leaves relationships in which he’s getting the short end of the shaft.

Kings and Fat Executives want everyone to be loyal because they are too out of touch to get people to follow them based on merit. They praise the honor of blind faith (loyalty), so that they can attract poor saps who will obey and work for them and won’t look for better opportunities.

Great leaders attract rebels who regularly question their leader and look for alternatives. A good leader knows that if he is not truly benefiting those around him, since they are not loyal, they will leave. The leader therefore is forced to work harder and knows that those who are with him are there for their own benefit rather than by force against their will.

Loyalty is a moral that was created and promoted by ancient dictators so that they could glorify their control over society. In today’s free society, individuals are no longer bound by the debilitating moral of loyalty. Instead we look out for ourselves and expect others to work for us only when it is their own best interest. Leaders who still praise loyalty, are asking for co-workers who will stick with them even if they are underpaid or overworked.

So all loyalty is a sham foisted on us by The Man? Football fans of the world unite! Time to become Saint's fans. Damn, I feel like a fool for going to all of those Niner games I went to from 76-80. From now on, I'll pass on that extra beer (the opium of the football fan) and grab some Nietzsche.
Originally posted by BHulman:

-9fA

Can it be any clearer than that? Seriously, these freaking teabags in charge are attempting to convince us that changes are not necessary. It's the same argument they put forward last off season when they convinced many that the only move necessary was the "removal of Nolan."

I do not think the york's have much respect for the fan base here, and for the most part, I can see why. The majority will believe in anything without question. They use this uncalled for loyalty as validation of their status as Niner fans. The york's use this uncalled for loyalty as validation that they are dealing with a bunch of suckers.

Right On Poster X.

A loyal person is one who obeys without question or one who follows another person regardless of the path. A non-loyal person is one who thinks for himself and works for others in symbiotic relationships but easily leaves relationships in which he’s getting the short end of the shaft.

Kings and Fat Executives want everyone to be loyal because they are too out of touch to get people to follow them based on merit. They praise the honor of blind faith (loyalty), so that they can attract poor saps who will obey and work for them and won’t look for better opportunities.

Great leaders attract rebels who regularly question their leader and look for alternatives. A good leader knows that if he is not truly benefiting those around him, since they are not loyal, they will leave. The leader therefore is forced to work harder and knows that those who are with him are there for their own benefit rather than by force against their will.

Loyalty is a moral that was created and promoted by ancient dictators so that they could glorify their control over society. In today’s free society, individuals are no longer bound by the debilitating moral of loyalty. Instead we look out for ourselves and expect others to work for us only when it is their own best interest. Leaders who still praise loyalty, are asking for co-workers who will stick with them even if they are underpaid or overworked.

So all loyalty is a sham foisted on us by The Man? Football fans of the world unite! Time to become Saint's fans. Damn, I feel like a fool for going to all of those Niner games I went to from 76-80. From now on, I'll pass on that extra beer (the opium of the football fan) and grab some Nietzsche.

No loyalty is when someone helps you out, and if they need help in the future, you help them back. It's when you've got a friend who is down or whatever, but he's one of your best friends so you help him out. Being loyal is being there in someone's time of need, whether it's a friend, a spouse/girlfriend, a sports team, a family member, etc. It has nothing to do with being controlled by the man. I would feel friggin dumb if I ditched the 9ers to be a saints fan only to have the saints be good for the next 5 years and still not win a ring, and the 9ers already have five. The 9ers were my team since I was in diapers so yeah they suck right now, but they're still my team, because as a little kid I got to go to school in my Young jersey, and I got to watch Garcia/TO as a kid, and hopefully the next big thing will be Smith/Davis/Crabtree, or maybe it'll be the defense led by Willis, or maybe it'll be none of those things and we'll have to rebuild again. But we'll be good again and when we are I'll be there and I can say I was watching during the s**tty times when we sucked. That's how you earn your stripes as a fan IMO.

edit: and this post wasn't to BHulman it was to the guys before him.

[ Edited by WillistheWall on Dec 12, 2009 at 01:14:05 ]
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by BHulman:

-9fA

Right On Poster X.

No loyalty is when someone helps you out, and if they need help in the future, you help them back. It's when you've got a friend who is down or whatever, but he's one of your best friends so you help him out. Being loyal is being there in someone's time of need, whether it's a friend, a spouse/girlfriend, a sports team, a family member, etc. It has nothing to do with being controlled by the man. I would feel friggin dumb if I ditched the 9ers to be a saints fan only to have the saints be good for the next 5 years and still not win a ring, and the 9ers already have five. The 9ers were my team since I was in diapers so yeah they suck right now, but they're still my team, because as a little kid I got to go to school in my Young jersey, and I got to watch Garcia/TO as a kid, and hopefully the next big thing will be Smith/Davis/Crabtree, or maybe it'll be the defense led by Willis, or maybe it'll be none of those things and we'll have to rebuild again. But we'll be good again and when we are I'll be there and I can say I was watching during the s**tty times when we sucked. That's how you earn your stripes as a fan IMO.

edit: and this post wasn't to BHulman it was to the guys before him.

Completely agree my man! Always have been & always will be a 49er fan!

Given we're stuck w/Singletary and McCloughan, we can only hope they do a better job with FA and the draft. They'll have to hit home runs in each...for the team to have a reasonable shot to improve. BL: expect more mediocre play for the near future.
Given we're stuck w/Singletary and McCloughan, we can only hope they do a better job with FA and the draft. They'll have to hit home runs in each...for the team to have a reasonable shot to improve. BL: expect more mediocre play for the near future.

-9fA

agreed!

WOW! his internship is over man. Last year was hsi first full yr as gm.

This season is Scotty's first post internship year. Crabtree is his first post internship draft. However, Scotty has 2 more years on internship terms before he can renegotiate his contract. The senior management has done a great job in signing Scotty to multi years deal under intern rates.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by kem99:
If Erickson got 2 years and Nolan 3 1/2 years, Singletary deserves at least 1 more year.

And, lets not forget, if the internet had been around in its current state in 1979 and 1980, everyone probably would have been saying the short passing game doesn't win games and calling for Walsh's head after they went 2-14 and 6-10 in his first 2 years. Not saying Singletary is going to be the next Walsh but it does show that Eddie D showed a little patience and it paid off.

You know we would have . . .

Bench Montana !!!! Start DeBerg !!!! Walsh is an NFL wannabe !!! Go back to Stanford !!!!! . . . . . I want Don Shula !!!!! Eddie DeBartolo is a fraud playing with Daddy's money !!!!

AAAUUUGGGHHHH !!!!

Oh the irony. Many forget Walsh almost quit after his second season because of the media, Eddie and what fans were saying. Hindsight is perfect but when living the moment who knows.

His drafts were questioned (Owens his first pick was a bust) This weird ass offense is fun to watch but come on now everyone knows that only bad things happen when you pass and DeBerg was proving it. How is that skinny ass kid from Notre Dame going to do any better? No one had confidence in Eddie after the Thomas debacle, therefore Walsh was getting a lot of heat.

First 2 years Walsh was coached we were getting destroyed anyone remember the 54-10 thumping we got from the Cowboys and we lost Hofer.
Earlier this year I posted this on a Fire McCloughlin ASAP thread. thought I would bring it out of moth balls for this thread

I see through out the zone a lot of individuals complaining about McCloughlan and since I was bored I thought I would break down the late great Bill Walsh draft record and Seifert first draft. In Walsh day the NFL had 12 rounds unlike today with 7 rounds.

11 Picks
6 cut
Walsh first pick as 49er coach James Owen, WR, played 2 years and cut, bust
3rd Pick Joe Montana HOF
10th Pick Dwight Clark today would be an FA pick up
3 other picksTom Seaborn, Phil Francis, cut after 1 and 2 years

11 Picks
4 cut
1st round Earl Cooper did not meet first round expectation moved to TE from RB
1st round Jim Stucky DE in 6 season had 7.5 sacks did not meet expectations
2nd round Keena Turner very good LB played 10 years
Puki, Churchman, Hoge lasted 2 seasons and cut

11 Picks
3 cut
1st Round Ronnie Lott HOF
John Harty, Eric Wright, Carlton Williamson all went on to have good careers Wright played 9 years made the pro bowl

9 picks
3 cut
1st round pick William “Bubba” Paris LT also known as "Highway 77" (fastest way to the QB was through Paris) by fans played 8 years . IMO a bust others would disagree.
Ron Ferrari and Dana McLemore played 5 seasons of journeyman football
Newton Williams and Vince Williams are 2nd and 3rd picks in 82 lasted 3 games and 6 games

8 picks
3 cuts
2nd round and 1st pick Roger Craig
3rd round 2nd pick Blanchard Montgomery 2 years and cut
Tom Holmoe and Riki Ellison played 6 years Ellison was a good LB, Jesse Sapolu

9 picks
3 cut
1st round Todd Shell, LB 4 season only played 21 games out of possible 64, bust
2nd -5th round John Frank, Guy McIntyre, Michael Carter, Jeff Fuller all had very good careers with the 49ers Carter made the pro bowl several times, fuller until his injury was becoming a pro bowl safety McIntyre played 12 seasons on the OL.

6 picks
4 cut
1st round Jerry Rice HOF
5th round Bruce Collie T 5 years journeyman player

1986 – Many consider this draft one of the greatest in NFL history
14 picks
5 cut
1st pick 2nd round Larry Roberts played 8 seasons however missed an avg 8 games per season, bust
Round 3-6, Tom Rathman , John Taylor, Tim McKyer, Charles Haley, Steve Wallace, Kevin f*gan, and Don Griffin. Every one made the pro bowl minimum once if not multiple times. McKyer and Griffin are two of the most under rated cover corners of all time because they didn’t trash talk or try to bring attention to themselves they just played.

10 picks
8 cut
1st round Terrence Flagler played 3 seasons total of 21 games, bust
1st round Harris Barton an anchor on the OL for 9 years made several pro bowls

1988 – Walsh last draft
10 picks
5 cut
1st pick 2nd round Daniel Stubbs played 2 years, cut, bust
Pierce Holt, Bill Romanowski played 5 & 6 years for the niners were avg to good players
Chet Brooks played 3 years and cut

1989 Siefert first draft
11 picks
5 cut
1st round pick Keith DeLong did not meet 1st round expectations played 5 years
2nd round Wesley Walls TE, sat on bench behind Jones for 4 years went on to pro bowl career with NO and Carolina
MiKe Barber, Keith Henderson, and Steve Hendrickson lasted from 3 years to just 8 games then cut

I went through this exercise to see how Walsh and Seifert (in his first draft) did. Walsh was a master at moving around in the draft. He salvaged the 79 draft by getting Montana, his 81, 84 & 86 drafts were very good to incredible and in 85 he got Rice. His 80, 82, 83 (Craig the exception), 87, 88 drafts sucked. When it came to his first pick in each draft 6 of his 10 picks were either a complete bust or did not meet 1st round expectation 2 picks Jerry Rice and Ronnie Lott met 1st round expectation. Roger Craig should be HOF and Paris doing an avg job at best even though I consider him a bust did not include him as one of my 6 bust.

Seifert and Mooch did not do very well with their 1st picks as well From ’89-99 they combined for 6 1st round/pick bust with such notables as Reggie McGrew, Jim Drunkenmiller, J.J. Stokes, Israel Ifeanyi, Todd Kelly and Dexter Carter. They cut Ted Washington after 3 season who went on to become a 5 time pro bowl NT. Also let McQuarters go after 3 who has played 9 years in the NFL so far. There 1st round selections of Stubblefield, Young, and Watters did meet 1st round expectations. Many think Watters should be considered for the HOF.

Over all McCloughlan has picked probably 1 future HOF so far in Patrick Willis, Vernon Davis is beginning to meet 1st round expectation. I will wait 3-4 more years on Crabtree, however for only playing 3 games his upside is HUGE. Players such as Gore, Brown, Lewis, Staley, and Walker, (I know I am missing several players) are doing well. Over all with only getting 7 picks vs. 12 picks like Walsh had I cannot complain about McCloughlan and the personnel he has selected. If I had one complaint he has done a poor job of selecting OL.

Conclusion even Bill Walsh who did a great job through the draft was not even right 50% of the time with his 1st pick. Most of the time half the players drafted got cut and the majority were avg., journeyman players who lasted around 5 years before moving on or being cut. IMO we need to give McCloughlan a break and actually consider the fact he has done an ok job
Share 49ersWebzone