There are 85 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Attack on the Local Media

• TX9R
  • Veteran
So basically you'd rather read coverage a la the Bleacher Report from fnboys than actual journalists asking tough questions and forcing managment to be accountable?
Originally posted by TX9R:
So basically you'd rather read coverage a la the Bleacher Report from fnboys than actual journalists asking tough questions and forcing management to be accountable?

for me, its not that the media is doing a terrible job, it more as to having all the possible options and to hear and read positives things about the team, its like this webzone some people will like to fire everyone, some think we are playing equal to our talent, some think we are building something special...

we need variety, I for one think we are building something special and cant find any radio show that represent that feeling and that the host feel that way, I can find writers, like kevin linch but not radio host, and when I hear radio shows for other teams like the cardinals link I post earlier and see that they had that type of radio show I feel like then niners should do the same...

go niners

[ Edited by servegmo on Dec 11, 2009 at 13:11:36 ]
I'm wit the thread writer, when we losing these kitty kat figures bad mouthing us like they some diehard lamb or poultry fans, but when we winning they born again diehard 9er fans. I can't stand these turncoat figures. If we stinking it up, then say that wit a tone of civility so it sounds like criticism and not berating. Let me know if u wit me and just wanna see me get better or yap somewhere else. Local media needs to sound like 9er fans or cards fans and don't change wit the weather.
  • nooj
  • Veteran
Originally posted by foreign49er:
Originally posted by nooj:
Originally posted by tmg808:
What exactly are you blaming the media for?

A negative perception? Give me a break. If there was no pressure from the fans and the media then there would be no change.

Seven straight losing seasons and what are we supposed to do, praise the front office for a great job? What a joke.

pressure and perception are two different thing!!!

I never said they are the same things. You complain about a negative perception, yet the team hasn't had a winning season in 7 years. I'm not sure what there is to even argue about. Do you understand that winning translates into praise? Losing brings about criticism. Why would it be any other way?

If anything, this front office has not received enough heat from the media and fans. It's absolutely ridiculous to blame the media for what transpires on the field. You can keep drinking the kool-aid and enjoying your moral victories while the rest of us perceive the team for what it is.

Who is this "rest of us"? And what do you perceive? I see a mentally young team that has 0 confidence because every time they win they are treated like the great teams of the 80's and 90's, then when they lose all of a sudden they're the Browns.

This is the best team I have seen in 7 years. I agree that this is not a playoff team but if you look around the league, there aren't as many teams anymore that are truly dominant. If you look around the league, it's also obvious how much of a difference one player can make in a team's season. (Sharper, Polamalu being injured, Brady being out last year, Favre)

With a pass-rusher/safety, a slightly improved o-line and another off-season to learn and adapt to the new systems this team will be a playoff team next year.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a great team, this isn't even a good team. But they are an average team. This may seem like a let down to many but if you've watched the past 7 seasons, it's miles ahead of where we were.

Walsh was 2-14 in his first season, 6-10 in his second. Singletary will have won as many games as Walsh did in his second full season. Give this staff a little bit of time to get their players and instill their systems. If you have a rebuilding team you can't treat them like a great team and just expect them to be great. They are an average team who's superstars are young and has 2 first round picks next year with boatloads of cap space.

I prefer to look at the positives, you prefer to look at the negatives, that doesn't make either of us right or wrong but it should be taken into consideration when looking at our points of views. This same approach should be taken with the media. There are some people who are looking for the negatives and some who are looking for the positives, if people didn't want to read it they wouldn't have jobs. It's not the media's fault, if you don't like it don't read it.

I enjoy positive articles here and there, but if I see an article about VD's beastly performance, or Crabtree's continuing maturity, or Alex Smith's first 300 yard game, I will most likely read the headline and skip it. I watched the game. I know how well VD has done this year. I know he is having a probowl caliber year. I watched Alex Smith throw 300 yards. All I care about is why we lost the game.

To me, nothing matters more than wins and losses. So if the team loses, I'm going to find an article that will attempt to examine that last failed drive, the coaching decision behind it, the players that failed to execute, and who is accountable. You can call me a pessimist if you want, but I don't care about all the fluff. I am not ignoring the positives in the game, but again, I don't care for so-called moral victories.

Now I agree with most of your post, the future is certainly brighter than it has ever been. I was never in favor of firing Singletary. I think he deserves another year. I do however, have my doubts about the strength of the front office.

'Rest of us' refers to those that don't feel the media has a big hand in the success or failures of this team. The truth is, if the media is affecting the performance of this team, then there are people in place that should have never been in that position in the first place.

And lastly, if you feel the media is unfair and unfavorably biased, then you should get all your information from 49ers.com or watch 49ers Total Access on Comcast sports net. They won't have one negative thing to say.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
So you're saying the local media should treat the 49ers the same way the Pats and Lakers are treated by their local media ? And in effect, you feel the support will give the 49ers the boost they need to perform better ?

I dont think so.....

I am saying beating a dog when its down doesn't help, and being ready to jump down its throat when it fails can't help either. I feel disappointment when they lose, the media cultivates anger and spite. They treated Mike Nolan's failures like they were part of Dennis Erickson's, they treat Mike Singletary's like they are part of all there failures.

`
Sir!

You are calling the San Francisco 49ers a DOG? and you consider yourself a fan of this proud franchise?

You also calling coach Nolan a failure? For your information, the ownership has the upmost respect for coach Nolan to the extend that we insist on hiring coach Nolan's mentee to continue his good work.

Coach Nolan and his mentee Singletary are not failures.
  • tmg808
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by jed_york:
So you're saying the local media should treat the 49ers the same way the Pats and Lakers are treated by their local media ? And in effect, you feel the support will give the 49ers the boost they need to perform better ?

I dont think so.....

I am saying beating a dog when its down doesn't help, and being ready to jump down its throat when it fails can't help either. I feel disappointment when they lose, the media cultivates anger and spite. They treated Mike Nolan's failures like they were part of Dennis Erickson's, they treat Mike Singletary's like they are part of all there failures.

`
Sir!

You are calling the San Francisco 49ers a DOG? and you consider yourself a fan of this proud franchise?

You also calling coach Nolan a failure? For your information, the ownership has the upmost respect for coach Nolan to the extend that we insist on hiring coach Nolan's mentee to continue his good work.

13 of his last 21 games where double digit losses, Mike Nolan lost control of the team the team quit on him, therefore he is a failure. You fail when you stop trying.
  • tmg808
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by foreign49er:
What exactly are you blaming the media for?

A negative perception? Give me a break. If there was no pressure from the fans and the media then there would be no change.

Seven straight losing seasons and what are we supposed to do, praise the front office for a great job? What a joke.

pressure and perception are two different thing!!!

I never said they are the same things. You complain about a negative perception, yet the team hasn't had a winning season in 7 years. I'm not sure what there is to even argue about. Do you understand that winning translates into praise? Losing brings about criticism. Why would it be any other way?

If anything, this front office has not received enough heat from the media and fans. It's absolutely ridiculous to blame the media for what transpires on the field. You can keep drinking the kool-aid and enjoying your moral victories while the rest of us perceive the team for what it is.

Who is this "rest of us"? And what do you perceive? I see a mentally young team that has 0 confidence because every time they win they are treated like the great teams of the 80's and 90's, then when they lose all of a sudden they're the Browns.

This is the best team I have seen in 7 years. I agree that this is not a playoff team but if you look around the league, there aren't as many teams anymore that are truly dominant. If you look around the league, it's also obvious how much of a difference one player can make in a team's season. (Sharper, Polamalu being injured, Brady being out last year, Favre)

With a pass-rusher/safety, a slightly improved o-line and another off-season to learn and adapt to the new systems this team will be a playoff team next year.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a great team, this isn't even a good team. But they are an average team. This may seem like a let down to many but if you've watched the past 7 seasons, it's miles ahead of where we were.

Walsh was 2-14 in his first season, 6-10 in his second. Singletary will have won as many games as Walsh did in his second full season. Give this staff a little bit of time to get their players and instill their systems. If you have a rebuilding team you can't treat them like a great team and just expect them to be great. They are an average team who's superstars are young and has 2 first round picks next year with boatloads of cap space.

I prefer to look at the positives, you prefer to look at the negatives, that doesn't make either of us right or wrong but it should be taken into consideration when looking at our points of views. This same approach should be taken with the media. There are some people who are looking for the negatives and some who are looking for the positives, if people didn't want to read it they wouldn't have jobs. It's not the media's fault, if you don't like it don't read it.

I enjoy positive articles here and there, but if I see an article about VD's beastly performance, or Crabtree's continuing maturity, or Alex Smith's first 300 yard game, I will most likely read the headline and skip it. I watched the game. I know how well VD has done this year. I know he is having a probowl caliber year. I watched Alex Smith throw 300 yards. All I care about is why we lost the game.

To me, nothing matters more than wins and losses. So if the team loses, I'm going to find an article that will attempt to examine that last failed drive, the coaching decision behind it, the players that failed to execute, and who is accountable. You can call me a pessimist if you want, but I don't care about all the fluff. I am not ignoring the positives in the game, but again, I don't care for so-called moral victories.

Now I agree with most of your post, the future is certainly brighter than it has ever been. I was never in favor of firing Singletary. I think he deserves another year. I do however, have my doubts about the strength of the front office.

'Rest of us' refers to those that don't feel the media has a big hand in the success or failures of this team. The truth is, if the media is affecting the performance of this team, then there are people in place that should have never been in that position in the first place.

And lastly, if you feel the media is unfair and unfavorably biased, then you should get all your information from 49ers.com or watch 49ers Total Access on Comcast sports net. They won't have one negative thing to say.

My point has nothing to do with breaking down a loss, or taking on the tough issues of the team. My point is the perception, that's it, the picture they paint of who the 49ers are. Kevin Lynch said on the radio the other day, the 49ers aren't ready for the playoffs even if they do get in. That sounds like the dumbest statement ever to me. That's like saying the Cardinals weren't ready for the super bowl because nobody expected them there last year. That's the type of stupid statements they I feel paint a negative picture of who the 49ers are.
We're fortunate to have two of the best beat writers in the business in Matt Maiocco and Matt Barrows. I always single out what they write because I know it'll be factual and balanced. I can't say the same for just about all the other Bay Area writers...but, we do have the Matts to give us the straight poop on our team. Having said that, none of them are reason our team's so crappy. I've been a Niner fanatic for over 50 years...most of 'em good to excellent. There have been some down periods, but the team always rebounded to play competitive football. The current situation is beyond frustrating for many reasons. It starts with the ownership...who just don't get "it". The Yorks don't have the same commitment Eddie D had, which is too bad. All pro teams need that kind of leadership if they're to be successful. It starts at the top and filters down through the entire organization. We're a shell of the organization we used to be...and until we get back to something close to it, we'll continue to be poor to medicocre.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
We're fortunate to have two of the best beat writers in the business in Matt Maiocco and Matt Barrows. I always single out what they write because I know it'll be factual and balanced. I can't say the same for just about all the other Bay Area writers...but, we do have the Matts to give us the straight poop on our team. Having said that, none of them are reason our team's so crappy. I've been a Niner fanatic for over 50 years...most of 'em good to excellent. There have been some down periods, but the team always rebounded to play competitive football. The current situation is beyond frustrating for many reasons. It starts with the ownership...who just don't get "it". The Yorks don't have the same commitment Eddie D had, which is too bad. All pro teams need that kind of leadership if they're to be successful. It starts at the top and filters down through the entire organization. We're a shell of the organization we used to be...and until we get back to something close to it, we'll continue to be poor to medicocre.

Well said! Most fans weren't around to see "Camelot", but those of us who were lucky enough to do so can see how wrong this team has done things on so many levels.
Originally posted by jed_york:

I dont think so.....

`
Sir!

13 of his last 21 games where double digit losses, Mike Nolan lost control of the team the team quit on him, therefore he is a failure. You fail when you stop trying.

Nolan guys never stopped fighting for Nolan or his hand picked successor. Nolan guys were as motivated during Nolan's last game as Singletary's first game.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

Well said! Most fans weren't around to see "Camelot", but those of us who were lucky enough to do so can see how wrong this team has done things on so many levels.

I was around for the camelot days. I disagree with the ownership part now that Jed has taken over. I disagree with any fan saying Nolan was a good head coach. Coordinator yes, but not coach. He did however play a key role in building the talent back up and fixing the front office so by no means do I think it was a waste that he was here.
The 49ers already have a public relations department. It's not the media's job to bolster morale and hold your hand and tell you everything is going to be alright. They're supposed to call it like they see it.

The 49ers are a mediocre team right now. Deal with it.
  • tmg808
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:
The 49ers already have a public relations department. It's not the media's job to bolster morale and hold your hand and tell you everything is going to be alright. They're supposed to call it like they see it.

The 49ers are a mediocre team right now. Deal with it.

You say they should call it how they see it. I am not asking for them to view the 49ers as a super bowl team. But I am saying don't view them the same way you did Mike Nolan's team, and Dennis Erickson's team. The team is much closer than they ever appeared in any of these coaches era. So to break down Mike Singletary and the team in the same way isn't far. It seems the media enjoys and makes effort getting under the skin of the 49ers. What does that have to do with telling it how it is???
  • nooj
  • Veteran
LOL this discussion is going nowhere.

[ Edited by nooj on Dec 13, 2009 at 17:39:17 ]