There are 78 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Attack on the Local Media

• tmg808
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by servegmo:
what I really think we are missing is a radio show with people who really follow the team and like to see the team succeed.

the radio shows I hear are the ones on KNBR (I live in costa rica, so I download the podcast and hear them on y computer) and all the shows and especially The razor and MrT, speak about the team and its players like they are a bunch of nobody's that dont deserve to be 49ers, which is good to some degree (be critical about the team), the problem is that the fans who prefer to see more of a half full mentality and that are more optimistic about the team don't have a radio show for them....

I always check the teams internet homepage we are playing for each week and see there videos and interviews for the upcoming game and in most cases they always have a radio show that it is host by someone close to the team and they talk about 30 to 40 minutes about all the insides of the team... I think we are really missing that as fans..

I for example did not watch the game live this past week and when I got into the web zone and read all the articles I thought Mike did a terrible job and that our offense was awfuller, I thought everything was terrible, then I watch the game and found some positives in that game nobody was talking about...

its really sad we don't have a radio show that we can count on to give a insight to the team and that has a positive and optimistic approach to the team...

my 2 cents..

go niners

Agreed that's mainly my point, you would think the team it completely awful if you only paid attention to the media.
Some of this was created by York and Singletary themselves for making statements like "this is the last year the season ends in december", "I want winners", "we'll see them again in the playoffs" etc.. Didn't they didn't paint a target on themselves with the State of the Franchise speeches?
  • tmg808
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Some of this was created by York and Singletary themselves for making statements like "this is the last year the season ends in december", "I want winners", "we'll see them again in the playoffs" etc.. Didn't they didn't paint a target on themselves with the State of the Franchise speeches?

Definitely but they aren't on the field, A lot of owners do stupid things. But I prefer there approach than Daniel Snyders. They haven't appeared any cheaper than any other team in the past 3 years. They have been pretty hands off when it comes to personnel needs. They have not been in the media talking about any of the players on the team. There hasn't been any player that has preformed that hasn't been rewarded. There are far worse things you can do then promise playoffs, all that showed me is they strongly believed. It's not like they stopped the team from winning this year
I don't see the media being unfair all that much. I mean, they don't know too much about football but most people in the media don't anyways. It is like a forum but a little more refined if you ask me and people on here will always find something to complain about. At the end of the day it is just a bunch of opinions that really don't have much of an impact on the team itself. Steve Young always said the only day the media leaves you alone is for one day after the Super Bowl.
  • tmg808
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Spoonerism:
I don't see the media being unfair all that much. I mean, they don't know too much about football but most people in the media don't anyways. It is like a forum but a little more refined if you ask me and people on here will always find something to complain about. At the end of the day it is just a bunch of opinions that really don't have much of an impact on the team itself. Steve Young always said the only day the media leaves you alone is for one day after the Super Bowl.

I don't have a problem with the media prying, but they have no effort in talking about positive angles with a team that is losing. Its like they are expecting excellence from a team that has never seen excellence. The teams that have been good every year in recent history all had to build. None of them went from a bad team to super bowl in a year. People say they don't want mediocrity but they want one of these coaches that win 10 games one year and fades away from there on. Singletary has something special and we all can sense it, but it may take time for it all to develop.
  • nooj
  • Veteran
What exactly are you blaming the media for?

A negative perception? Give me a break. If there was no pressure from the fans and the media then there would be no change.

Seven straight losing seasons and what are we supposed to do, praise the front office for a great job? What a joke.
  • tmg808
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by nooj:

A negative perception? Give me a break. If there was no pressure from the fans and the media then there would be no change.

Seven straight losing seasons and what are we supposed to do, praise the front office for a great job? What a joke.

pressure and perception are two different thing!!!
  • nooj
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tmg808:

I never said they are the same things. You complain about a negative perception, yet the team hasn't had a winning season in 7 years. I'm not sure what there is to even argue about. Do you understand that winning translates into praise? Losing brings about criticism. Why would it be any other way?

If anything, this front office has not received enough heat from the media and fans. It's absolutely ridiculous to blame the media for what transpires on the field. You can keep drinking the kool-aid and enjoying your moral victories while the rest of us perceive the team for what it is.
  • tmg808
  • Info N/A

I never said they are the same things. You complain about a negative perception, yet the team hasn't had a winning season in 7 years. I'm not sure what there is to even argue about. Do you understand that winning translates into praise? Losing brings about criticism. Why would it be any other way?

If anything, this front office has not received enough heat from the media and fans. It's absolutely ridiculous to blame the media for what transpires on the field. You can keep drinking the kool-aid and enjoying your moral victories while the rest of us perceive the team for what it is.

The bloggers, the radio shows, they all report things like a fan, its all opinionated, there is only 1 writer that I feel is actually reporting in the area and I make sure I read his articles. Matt Maiocco is the only one that I feel tells it how it is, ask questions looking for answers and not to make someone look stupid. I don't care if they were around with Bill Walsh when he was in his glory days, this is a different era and a different team. When Bill Walsh made mistakes with a good team he deserved to get ripped. At the same time it takes bigger mistakes with a good team for them to lose. Now you have Mike Singletary who everyone accepted, everyone knew he had zero coordinator experience, everyone knew what they were getting yet they accepted him. So to hear him start to get bashed for making mistakes early in the season makes me take offense. Like the media is saying I am stupid for wanting him for a coach in the first place.

My point is you look at the national media and you look at all the writers that are big on TV and you never see them berate the teams where they are from. Bob Ryan, Michael Smith, Hollinger, that old lady on PTI, they are all from Boston, they all give a good perception of there Boston teams. JA Adande, Bill Plasicke always give a good perception of LA teams. Steven A Smith always defends the Philly teams. Mike Wilborn always defends his Chicago teams. Then you watch the Sf Choronicle on tv and all you get is different reports, not ex players, but reporters and all they speak about are the negative things. So when can I get a writer that can step up and defend the 49ers, not defend losing, but defend the good things that are happening here. I have watched closely all 7 years of losing and this is the best team of the 7, so I can't believe that everything is bad here. Being a tough writer is about getting the truth its not about attacking everything that looks bad.
Originally posted by Spoonerism:

I don't have a problem with the media prying, but they have no effort in talking about positive angles with a team that is losing. Its like they are expecting excellence from a team that has never seen excellence. The teams that have been good every year in recent history all had to build. None of them went from a bad team to super bowl in a year. People say they don't want mediocrity but they want one of these coaches that win 10 games one year and fades away from there on. Singletary has something special and we all can sense it, but it may take time for it all to develop.

First off, you're talking about a team that has seen more excellence than most. We dominated for 2 decades. We have an off decade and of course people are going to rant and rave.

No one is saying it won't develop. I think we have a great thing going on here. I think you're reading too many negative nancy bloggers.

Just see it for what it is. I think you're blowing this way out of proportion. Who cares what the media or the fans think?

Oh, and Kevin Lynch is pretty good too if you want positives.

The bloggers, the radio shows, they all report things like a fan, its all opinionated, there is only 1 writer that I feel is actually reporting in the area and I make sure I read his articles. Matt Maiocco is the only one that I feel tells it how it is, ask questions looking for answers and not to make someone look stupid. I don't care if they were around with Bill Walsh when he was in his glory days, this is a different era and a different team. When Bill Walsh made mistakes with a good team he deserved to get ripped. At the same time it takes bigger mistakes with a good team for them to lose. Now you have Mike Singletary who everyone accepted, everyone knew he had zero coordinator experience, everyone knew what they were getting yet they accepted him. So to hear him start to get bashed for making mistakes early in the season makes me take offense. Like the media is saying I am stupid for wanting him for a coach in the first place.

My point is you look at the national media and you look at all the writers that are big on TV and you never see them berate the teams where they are from. Bob Ryan, Michael Smith, Hollinger, that old lady on PTI, they are all from Boston, they all give a good perception of there Boston teams. JA Adande, Bill Plasicke always give a good perception of LA teams. Steven A Smith always defends the Philly teams. Mike Wilborn always defends his Chicago teams. Then you watch the Sf Choronicle on tv and all you get is different reports, not ex players, but reporters and all they speak about are the negative things. So when can I get a writer that can step up and defend the 49ers, not defend losing, but defend the good things that are happening here. I have watched closely all 7 years of losing and this is the best team of the 7, so I can't believe that everything is bad here. Being a tough writer is about getting the truth its not about attacking everything that looks bad.

I totally agree with you point... we need at least one radio show that gives us that perspective... I will love for next season that the niners hire someone like MattM or or Ted R with an explayer and did a radio show once a week were they talk about the team and that the show had access to talk to the coaches, coordinators and staff were they can share and talk about the team without bean harass like when the razor interview Scott M...

go niners

go niners
I think it would be different if the 49ers played a good game and got beat by a better play but this team is beating themselves and looks sloppy in terms of prep and coaching along with lack of focus at critical situations.

The team is too sloppy and it deserves a trouncing by the media. If the team plays crisp and at a top level but still loses, then I'm sure the media would be lighter but we have missed playoff chances due to the dumbest decisions.

2006: inches to go against the Rams that would have put us in solid playoff contention.

2007: Just pathetic coaching overall taking far too long to make any adjustments and the mishandling of Alex Smith

2008: 2 yards to go for the win that would have put us in solid playoff contention and we run a FB dive along with other coaching blunders on that last drive against ARI

2009: Season is in our hands and we lose to a team we should beat because the coach gave the ball back at the end of the game when we had it with 50 seconds left.

Who is this "rest of us"? And what do you perceive? I see a mentally young team that has 0 confidence because every time they win they are treated like the great teams of the 80's and 90's, then when they lose all of a sudden they're the Browns.

This is the best team I have seen in 7 years. I agree that this is not a playoff team but if you look around the league, there aren't as many teams anymore that are truly dominant. If you look around the league, it's also obvious how much of a difference one player can make in a team's season. (Sharper, Polamalu being injured, Brady being out last year, Favre)

With a pass-rusher/safety, a slightly improved o-line and another off-season to learn and adapt to the new systems this team will be a playoff team next year.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a great team, this isn't even a good team. But they are an average team. This may seem like a let down to many but if you've watched the past 7 seasons, it's miles ahead of where we were.

Walsh was 2-14 in his first season, 6-10 in his second. Singletary will have won as many games as Walsh did in his second full season. Give this staff a little bit of time to get their players and instill their systems. If you have a rebuilding team you can't treat them like a great team and just expect them to be great. They are an average team who's superstars are young and has 2 first round picks next year with boatloads of cap space.

I prefer to look at the positives, you prefer to look at the negatives, that doesn't make either of us right or wrong but it should be taken into consideration when looking at our points of views. This same approach should be taken with the media. There are some people who are looking for the negatives and some who are looking for the positives, if people didn't want to read it they wouldn't have jobs. It's not the media's fault, if you don't like it don't read it.
From the Dan Brown Show today...

10:07 [Comment From debbie debbie: ]
i know alex has improved but still i think the niners need a qb that can play in any offense. do you think we willl still take a qb in the first round? thanks Friday December 11, 2009 10:07 debbie

10:08 Dan Brown:
Considering that the team has so many other needs, I don't see them taking first-round quarterback. Alex Smith is playing much better and shutting up some skeptics -- including me. I think the 49ers could use a pass rusher, offensive linemen and playmaker in the secondary, to name a few.

Friday December 11, 2009 10:08 Dan Brown

Now you see the highlighted above, thats why i dont think it's the media, i think it's more us fans. Lets see, right off the top of the head, Both Matts, Dan Brown, even the biggest Smith haters, that were writers, Tim K, and Kevin Lynch all have printed positive articles in my opinion.

Now back to the highlighted, you see, you would assume that you would shut up skeptics, but with some you cant ever win. So honestly i think its are fans that are crazy as s**t for the most part. The media, just writes what they see, and at times, they speak on behalf of us fans. I mean i havent heard reference to the fans as much as in some of our press conferences.
this is a radioshow from the cardinals webpage...

http://www.azcardinals.com/photos-videos/audio/Cardinals-Underground-Week-14--San-Francisco/8c47d978-c50c-4c1d-876a-44336858f287

Its a littlebit homerish but hey the cardinals are playing well, but I would love to hear a show with ted robinson, Matt miaocco and ronnie lott.. I would hear that show every week....

go niners