LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 278 users in the forums

Delanie Walker vs. WR in the Spread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't know why everyone keeps hating on Morgan. He has played well thus far. He only goes as Alex goes. His QB. Hill obviously has not earned his PT with Sing for whatever reason. I would like to think Jerry Sullivan has some input on that.
  • el_hektor
  • Info N/A
Raye mentioned he likes Walker in there because in case they need to switch the play at the line to a RUN he's a better blocker then any WR.

I think Walker should be returning punts...
Originally posted by Method:
I'm getting kind of tired of seeing Delanie doing absolutely nothing out there consistently whenever we are in a spread offense set. Maybe if we're running the ball, get him out there to help block, but otherwise he's not getting separation on his man, he's not catching passes, and just simply not getting open. I'd rather see Brandon Jones or Jason Hill out there over Delanie Walker right now. The plays he makes are great, but there's so few of them. Even though Brandon Jones was called for that s**tty Pass Interference penalty, he still made the play on 1st and 15 with a great catch behind him. Give him and Jason Hill a chance.

What do you guys think?

I'm right there with you.
What good is 1-2 if we aren't running the ball?
Well I didn't feel Delanie had a bad game, but I can see a 3rd receiver being more effective if you are going to predominately pass the ball. I would rather see the double TE be a running formation that they playaction out of. I've like Jason Hill and he has performed when given the chance. Brandon Jones I am not sure of but I did appreciate that 27 yard catch last week. It's too much of a mid season learning process of figuring out what we have when it comes to the offensive philosophy. I think you will see the offense being different every week the rest of the year, and next year will be when you see exactly what the philosophy will be with an effective passing game
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Walker is out there because we either pass with a four WR set if the defense puts its base package on the field, or run with a two tight end set if they put their nickel package on the field. Putting a 3rd WR out there doesn't accomplish that. Teams have still been playing base on us, which is why we're passing so much. While we'd like more balance, it has worked, it has been effective. If it continues to be effective teams will start putting their nickel package out there, and then we'll see if it works the other way and our run game is effective.

Walker has looked good the past couple of weeks. He's not getting tons of balls because the plays aren't designed to go to him. He's primarily running routes to clear out space for Crabs, VD, and Morgan.

The big thing, and I think it's really missing here, is that unlike Nolin, Raye and Sing are using the specific skill sets of the players that we have to create match problems for opposing teams. Why would you want to change that?

Exactly this.
I'm reviving this post because I've had an opportunity to review many of Walker's catches and runs and came away pretty impressed actually. Couldn't disagree more with this post. In fact, Walker looks quicker, faster and more agile than Morgan for sure. He can juke people and has shown good balance too. After all, he's a converted WR. Can't compare him to Jones, since we really haven't seen what the guy can do yet. As for Hill, I'm not sure Walker isn't faster than him as well, since we know Hill doesn't play as fast as his timed speed. In fact, I seem to recall a quote from Vernon that Walker was almost as fast as he was. Walker is as big as a TE and plays like a WR. Why guys are ragging on him, I don't know. I'd like to see him used more!
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
I'm reviving this post because I've had an opportunity to review many of Walker's catches and runs and came away pretty impressed actually. Couldn't disagree more with this post. In fact, Walker looks quicker, faster and more agile than Morgan for sure. He can juke people and has shown good balance too. After all, he's a converted WR. Can't compare him to Jones, since we really haven't seen what the guy can do yet. As for Hill, I'm not sure Walker isn't faster than him as well, since we know Hill doesn't play as fast as his timed speed. In fact, I seem to recall a quote from Vernon that Walker was almost as fast as he was. Walker is as big as a TE and plays like a WR. Why guys are ragging on him, I don't know. I'd like to see him used more!

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I have no idea why Delanie Walker is still on our team. He gives up on routes, tips the ball up in the air, rarely makes the tough catches and is not that dynamic overall except in the PRESEASON.

D. Walker is one of the most overrated playes on this entier board . I would much rather see Jason Hill get more playing time than D. Walker.

thats better
Originally posted by Allx9er:
I have no idea why Delanie Walker is still on our team. He gives up on routes, tips the ball up in the air, rarely makes the tough catches and is not that dynamic overall except in the PRESEASON.

D. Walker is one of the most overrated playes on this entier board . I would much rather see Jason Hill get more playing time than D. Walker.

thats better

Better? Don't know what player you're watching, but it must not be Walker. As for Hill, I also would like to see more of him, as I've been saying all year. Morgan is the one I think is overrated. Very average performance this year, esp earlier in the year. We need a better look at Hill and a much longer look at Jones.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Originally posted by Allx9er:

thats better

Better? Don't know what player you're watching, but it must not be Walker. As for Hill, I also would like to see more of him, as I've been saying all year. Morgan is the one I think is overrated. Very average performance this year, esp earlier in the year. We need a better look at Hill and a much longer look at Jones.

morgan was more than raw coming out of college so its understandable at least to me why he's hitting bumps in the road like virtually every player on the offensive side of the ball. he spent the first half of the season crouched behind somebodies a** on every play. as for hill, he was a gifted college receiver and he has shown us a glimpse of what may be possible. at the same time he obviously has no other value than a rec, he can't return punts (speed/agility required), kick offs (same thing), or run block worth a lick because if he could he would get more pt (smash mouth). maybe its all sullivan fault idk. jones received a lot of hype got hurt then got lost in the shuffle or the murk of the changing scheme. maybe it was sully once again? so ya jones needs a longer look too

Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
Originally posted by domesik:
Free Hill AND Jones!!!

Free Hill, take jones off the god damn return team....

i hope jones turns out to be our main number 3 reciever, or else he's a big waste of money as a number 4 or 5
  • bret
  • Veteran
I revived this old thread because last week Walker was the one offensive positive in the first half, when they used two tight ends and two wide outs.

Later when the went three wide outs he came off the field and the team couldn't move the ball.

My thought was this: they say they like Josh Morgan for his blocking, but when they go three wide-outs it's not because of blocking, it's because they want (need) to move the ball quickly. Why not replace Morgan with Walker? It keeps Ginn on the field to stretch the defense, and puts the best weapons on the field at the same time. And of course, when Westbrook gets up to speed he could split that time with Delanie.

Thoughts?
Originally posted by bret:
I revived this old thread because last week Walker was the one offensive positive in the first half, when they used two tight ends and two wide outs.

Later when the went three wide outs he came off the field and the team couldn't move the ball.

My thought was this: they say they like Josh Morgan for his blocking, but when they go three wide-outs it's not because of blocking, it's because they want (need) to move the ball quickly. Why not replace Morgan with Walker? It keeps Ginn on the field to stretch the defense, and puts the best weapons on the field at the same time. And of course, when Westbrook gets up to speed he could split that time with Delanie.

Thoughts?

Deck chairs on the Titanic.
Share 49ersWebzone