LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 366 users in the forums

What six players in our starting lineups should be backups?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 4JusticeNow:
Alex Smith. There's only on QB on the roster with a winning record and t's not Alex Smith. Alex seemingly will always be a day late and a dollar short, choking when it counts the most. I like the guy and wish it wasn't true. But it is.

Give it up troll
Originally posted by GEEK:
D. Walker
J. Morgan
A. Snyder
C. Rachal
P. Haralson
D. Goldson

I would agree ith that list except swap Baas for Rachal (Rachal under good coaching could be beastly, Baas is just fat and slow) and I would trade Walker for Bly/Brown (whoever the hell is the starter at #2 cornerback position) since Walker really isn't a starter.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Morgan - The most overrated guy on the entire WZ by far because he was once a PRESEASON TIGER.

Not sure a 6th round pick can be considered overrated.

He is overrated because he is a starter but he has no business being a starter. He is one of the wierd decisions sing makes but he makes a lot of them.

Who would you start? Brandon Jones?
1. Josh Morgan should ride the pine in favor of J.Hill
2. David Bass should ride the pine in favor of Wragge
3. Barry Sims is doing great but will be out when Staley returns
4. Parys Haralson should be replaced in favor of Ahmad Brooks
5. Bly will be out when Clements returns
6. Brandon Jones should be OUT of PR/KR duties and given to Morgan or Battle
Originally posted by marshniners24:

Morgan - The most overrated guy on the entire WZ by far because he was once a PRESEASON TIGER.

He is overrated because he is a starter but he has no business being a starter. He is one of the wierd decisions sing makes but he makes a lot of them.

Jason Hill.

More speed and better hands and better route running. All he does is make plays whenever he is in but sing doesn't like him as much as has favorite Morgan. Morgan tips balls up in the air for interceptions, rarely makes tough catches, and gets caught from behind. He's flat out slow.
Originally posted by marshniners24:

Jason Hill.

More speed and better hands and better route running. All he does is make plays whenever he is in but sing doesn't like him as much as has favorite Morgan. Morgan tips balls up in the air for interceptions, rarely makes tough catches, and gets caught from behind. He's flat out slow.

I pretty much agree with what you are saying, even if I made it sound like I disagreed in my first post. I think Morgan starts because he is a better blocking WR. Sometime in the future, now that we are in the spread, im expecting J hill to see more time than J morgan.
Which players should be backups? This year? None. We've maximized our roster. As far as players that I think will either get cut or backup next year I would go with:

1. Baas- He'll be let go
2. Snyder - He'll back up
3. Goldson - He'll be a backup.
4. Lewis - Solid but can't cover and concussions?
5. Jones/Battle - Get rid of these guys on special teams period.

I know you guys probably don't like the CB situation but our CB situation is how it is because they don't have help over the top. That is a safety problem. Our safety problem is almost as bad as our OLine problem.
Baas
Rachal
Goldson
Sopoaga
Bly
Morgan

Justification:

Baas most likely won't be re-signed...which makes OG and/or FA priority.

Rachal has a lot to learn yet...for the life of me, I don't understand Singletary's reluctance to get Wragge on the field.

Goldson's not the playmaker I hoped he'd be...we need a disrupter back there...someone who's really going to take charge.

Sopoaga...I still don't get him. They re-signed him to a hefty contract, but I'm still trying to figure out why...he just hasn't shown me much.

Bly...he takes too many chances. If you're Champ Bailey, you get away with it, but he's not CB.

Morgan...another head-scratcher. I like the kid, but they paid good bucks to get Brandon Jones and last Sunday was the first time I've seen him as a WR...makes no sense.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Snyder, Chilo,, Norris, Bass
Not gonna count Sims,since he's a "Backup" starting,and doin a hell of a job

Goldson, Haralson
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Baas
Rachal
Goldson
Sopoaga
Bly
Morgan

Justification:

Baas most likely won't be re-signed...which makes OG and/or FA priority.

Rachal has a lot to learn yet...for the life of me, I don't understand Singletary's reluctance to get Wragge on the field.

Goldson's not the playmaker I hoped he'd be...we need a disrupter back there...someone who's really going to take charge.

Sopoaga...I still don't get him. They re-signed him to a hefty contract, but I'm still trying to figure out why...he just hasn't shown me much.

Bly...he takes too many chances. If you're Champ Bailey, you get away with it, but he's not CB.

Morgan...another head-scratcher. I like the kid, but they paid good bucks to get Brandon Jones and last Sunday was the first time I've seen him as a WR...makes no sense.

Jones came in last week and made a tough catch. I wonder how switching Morgan and Jones roles would play out.. i.e. put Morgan on KR and light WR duty, and put Jones as #2-#3 WR (because his PR ability is nonexistent)

Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Looking at the players that we have starting, what 6 players do you feel should be backups and not starters? Baas, Morgan, Goldson, Lawson, Haralson and Lewis are my six. What about you?

I might take some crap for this but I think Heitmann as well.....He is not the type of interior lineman that can dominate a DT or NT. I really feel you need that on the interior line to play way singletary wants to
My list is made up with the assumption that we acquire an upgrade through FA or maybe the draft at each position. (fantasy, I know)

Goldson
Morgan
Snyder
Haralson
Soap
Lawson

T. Brown if we are not assuming that nate and spencer are starters.
Baas
Chilo
Goldson
Haralson
Bly

x2
Originally posted by fister30:
My list is made up with the assumption that we acquire an upgrade through FA or maybe the draft at each position. (fantasy, I know)

Goldson
Morgan
Snyder
Haralson
Soap
Lawson

T. Brown if we are not assuming that nate and spencer are starters.

I would agree with pretty much everyone except for Lawson. He has been playing very well the last few games. I hope it continues. If he does go back to how he was at the beginning of the year, I would want an upgrade there.

Bottom line, the pass rush needs to be upgraded. We need a threat similar to Merriman, Harrison, etc.
Originally posted by 4JusticeNow:
Alex Smith. There's only on QB on the roster with a winning record and t's not Alex Smith. Alex seemingly will always be a day late and a dollar short, choking when it counts the most. I like the guy and wish it wasn't true. But it is.

Tell your mom to take the computer out of your room now ..............
Share 49ersWebzone