Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Jackson has McNabb throwing him the ball.....Probowl QB. What do you really think Jackson would of done with JTO or Hill at QB? He would of never put up those kinds of numbers, so leave it alone!!

Who cares if it wouldn't be the same numbers? He'd still be our #1 and we would have no PR issue.

People wouldn't be all gaga over him because he wouldn't of put up the same numbers. He looks and is a serious WR because of where he is playing, he wouldn't of had that kind of production here which = less desire. For instance if you judged Moss of his Raiders years you wouldn't think much of him as a WR, but its a different story in NE.

What? How can you even begin to say he would act like Moss? No one acts like Moss... He's a playmaker and we could have used him. He was recommended by the G.O.A.T and yet we nabbed Balmer and Chilo instead. You sound as if we actually got a good player in place of DeSean that draft.

You're putting words in my mouth, How can you even begin to say he would act like Moss. What I said was, For instance if you judged Moss of his Raiders years you wouldn't think much of him as a WR. What I'm implying is his production as a Raider was very low so if you solely judged Moss by his playing time in Oakland you wouldn't think much of him as a WR.

Yes, he has game breaking skills in Philly because McNabb can throw a rope at 35 yards. His effectiveness here pre-Smith would of been mediocre at best. Hill wouldn't of been able to use DeSean as he's being used now so the love affair with these massive plays wouldn't exists because we wouldn't of put him in the position to make them anyways.

Again so what if he wouldn't be producing the same numbers? Alex is in now isn't he? A playmaker is still a playmaker, and we passed him TWICE for two scrubs. He wanted to play here, Jerry wanted him to play here, he would have filled two needs, but the niners STILL passed him. I don't understand what down playing what might have happened if he were a niner, because talent is still talent, and we got none out of that draft. End of story.

If he was sitting on the bench in Oakland right now would you still want him to start for us?

What king of argument is that? That's like saying what if Brady never got a chance to start and ended up sitting on the bench for the rest of his life. The point is he was a way better option than Balmer or Chilo. What is so difficult to comprehend about that?

Because you have missed my point 100%. Jackson is putting up MASSIVE numbers because he has an All-Pro QB and is in a very pass happy offense. You drool over the numbers but he landed in the best situation to post those kinds of numbers. The point being great QB's working in pass heavy systems make all of their WR's look great. Brady, Manning, McNabb, Brees etc etc make all of their guys look great. Its easy to point to Jackson and say look what we could of had, "he could of been doing that for us"! Truth is JTO and Hill would of made Jackson look like Jason Hill. Now, having Smith start does change the game up a bit (now) but you still have to look at the QB and the O Coordinator. Just because he looks great there doesn't mean he would look like that here. Can you imagine Hill trying to get the ball to him past 30 yards. This goes back to the point that we wouldn't of even known his possible potential till a few weeks ago when Smith stepped back in, and who knows if he would even see the field. Hill and Jones have caught maybe 5 balls total this year...with Crabs and Morgan starting Jackson would be buried down the depth chart.
Jackson has McNabb throwing him the ball.....Probowl QB. What do you really think Jackson would of done with JTO or Hill at QB? He would of never put up those kinds of numbers, so leave it alone!!

Who cares if it wouldn't be the same numbers? He'd still be our #1 and we would have no PR issue.

People wouldn't be all gaga over him because he wouldn't of put up the same numbers. He looks and is a serious WR because of where he is playing, he wouldn't of had that kind of production here which = less desire. For instance if you judged Moss of his Raiders years you wouldn't think much of him as a WR, but its a different story in NE.

What? How can you even begin to say he would act like Moss? No one acts like Moss... He's a playmaker and we could have used him. He was recommended by the G.O.A.T and yet we nabbed Balmer and Chilo instead. You sound as if we actually got a good player in place of DeSean that draft.

You're putting words in my mouth, How can you even begin to say he would act like Moss. What I said was, For instance if you judged Moss of his Raiders years you wouldn't think much of him as a WR. What I'm implying is his production as a Raider was very low so if you solely judged Moss by his playing time in Oakland you wouldn't think much of him as a WR.

Yes, he has game breaking skills in Philly because McNabb can throw a rope at 35 yards. His effectiveness here pre-Smith would of been mediocre at best. Hill wouldn't of been able to use DeSean as he's being used now so the love affair with these massive plays wouldn't exists because we wouldn't of put him in the position to make them anyways.

Again so what if he wouldn't be producing the same numbers? Alex is in now isn't he? A playmaker is still a playmaker, and we passed him TWICE for two scrubs. He wanted to play here, Jerry wanted him to play here, he would have filled two needs, but the niners STILL passed him. I don't understand what down playing what might have happened if he were a niner, because talent is still talent, and we got none out of that draft. End of story.

If he was sitting on the bench in Oakland right now would you still want him to start for us?

What king of argument is that? That's like saying what if Brady never got a chance to start and ended up sitting on the bench for the rest of his life. The point is he was a way better option than Balmer or Chilo. What is so difficult to comprehend about that?

Because you have missed my point 100%. Jackson is putting up MASSIVE numbers because he has an All-Pro QB and is in a very pass happy offense. You drool over the numbers but he landed in the best situation to post those kinds of numbers. The point being great QB's working in pass heavy systems make all of their WR's look great. Brady, Manning, McNabb, Brees etc etc make all of their guys look great. Its easy to point to Jackson and say look what we could of had, "he could of been doing that for us"! Truth is JTO and Hill would of made Jackson look like Jason Hill. Now, having Smith start does change the game up a bit (now) but you still have to look at the QB and the O Coordinator. Just because he looks great there doesn't mean he would look like that here. Can you imagine Hill trying to get the ball to him past 30 yards. This goes back to the point that we wouldn't of even known his possible potential till a few weeks ago when Smith stepped back in, and who knows if he would even see the field. Hill and Jones have caught maybe 5 balls total this year...with Crabs and Morgan starting Jackson would be buried down the depth chart.

My goodness dude. I know what you're trying to say: that the niners couldn't make use of all that talent. I'm telling you he was a BETTER pick than who we chose, and would have filled not one, but TWO needs. No one is saying at all that he would have lit the league on fire as a niner, but it'is not hard to comprehend that scott and the front office blew it. That, and I think you're downplaying his skills by saying he would be behind Morgan of all players.

[ Edited by blunt_probe on Dec 14, 2009 at 10:18:18 ]

My goodness dude. I know what you're trying to say: that the niners couldn't make use of all that talent. I'm telling you he was a BETTER pick than who we chose, and would have filled not one, but TWO needs. No one is saying at all that he would lit the league on fire as a niner, and it'is not hard to comprehend that scott and the front office blew it.

Coaching is the issue with Chilo plain and simple. If he plays like he was projected and turns his game around then Chilo was a smart and safer pick.

From what you edited.....I think the coaching staff would keep Morgan ahead of him. remember they would go off what they would of seen from him....the highlight reels would be much different.

[ Edited by jreff22 on Dec 14, 2009 at 10:22:05 ]

Coaching is the issue with Chilo plain and simple. If he plays like he was projected and turns his game around then Chilo was a smart and safer pick.

More talk. When he produces, then you can say that. Right now DeSean is making all of our '08 picks look like complete wastes.

[ Edited by blunt_probe on Dec 14, 2009 at 10:21:59 ]

More talk. When he produces, then you can say that. Right now DeSean is making all of our '08 picks look like complete wastes.

From what you edited.....I think the coaching staff would keep Morgan ahead of him. remember they would go off what they would of seen from him....the highlight reels would be much different.

If they did, they would be idiots, but then again, I wouldn't be surprised. Other than that one GB preseason game, Morgan has never done anything.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
You can't be too mad at the 9ers brass for this. Every other team passed on him at least once, including the Eagles.

The Eagles First selection (2nd round):

Trevor Laws, DT Notre dame.
Career stats 22 tackles, no sacks.
Kentwan Balmer
Career stats 19 tackles, 11 solo no sacks.

You can either say the Eagles made the same mistake, or both teams are waiting for their DT's to develop.

If they did, they would be idiots, but then again, I wouldn't be surprised. Other than that one GB preseason game, Morgan has never done anything.

Remember what I said earlier, he wouldn't be showing his true skill set with Hill at QB. You cant blame the coaches if the starting QB is only capable of throwing with velocity at 20 yards. They wouldn't of known what his true potential would of been. Look at Crabs for instance...what do you think his numbers would be like with Hill in at QB compared to Smith

Remember what I said earlier, he wouldn't be showing his true skill set with Hill at QB. You cant blame the coaches if the starting QB is only capable of throwing with velocity at 20 yards. They wouldn't of known what his true potential would of been. Look at Crabs for instance...what do you think his numbers would be like with Hill in at QB compared to Smith

Beats me. That's getting too hypothetical to say. Hill was producing when he came in '07 and '08. Pretty much everyone had a crack at the ball, DJax, Hill, Vernon, etc. Then this goes back to my point, DeSean would still be a better pick than Chilo or Balmer regardless. You know how Battle and Jones have lost us two games? They wouldn't even have gotten a chance with DeSean back there despite wherever he might have been on the WR depth chart.

Beats me. That's getting too hypothetical to say. Hill was producing when he came in '07 and '08. Pretty much everyone had a crack at the ball, DJax, Hill, Vernon, etc. Then this goes back to my point, DeSean would still be a better pick than Chilo or Balmer regardless. You know how Battle and Jones have lost us two games? They wouldn't even have gotten a chance with DeSean back there despite wherever he might have been on the WR depth chart.

I don't disagree on his return abilities, but I think his "hype at WR" would be as big if he was drafted by us.

Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Not that it's that big of a deal, but KB to IR.

"49ers place DT Kentwan Balmer on IR (shoulder) and sign DT Baraka Atkins. Balmer underwent surgery today. #49ers"

http://twitter.com/mattmaiocco

So, is he officially a flop now?

Not even close. (although we may have used that pick much more wisely)
Here's the problem that I have with the Niners: When the GOAT, Jerry Rice, tells you the kid is a stud, then you have to take a serious listen. Rice worked with Jackson before the draft, and had high praise for the kid.

Now, not every HOF is the perfect scout with NFL talent, but this is the GOAT looking at a WR, something he probably knows something about.
B U S T
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Here's the problem that I have with the Niners: When the GOAT, Jerry Rice, tells you the kid is a stud, then you have to take a serious listen. Rice worked with Jackson before the draft, and had high praise for the kid.

Now, not every HOF is the perfect scout with NFL talent, but this is the GOAT looking at a WR, something he probably knows something about.

Wasn't Jerry working FOR DeSean Jackson? What do you think he was going to say???
Share 49ersWebzone