LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Kentwan balmer to IR

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We drafted this guy over deshawn Jackson... Wow
  • dj43
Originally posted by TheyHate2LuvMe:

A lot of teams chose someone else over DeSean Jackson! Most of them would like a do-over as well.

The guy was small and there were potential legitimate injury concerns, he also had serious character issues. Passing on him in the first round was a legitimate thing to do, and was mirrored by many other teams.

AHHHHH!!! Let it go!!! Every time someone brings up Balmer someone else has to bring up Deshawn Jackson. Guess what, we also could have had Matt Forte, Eddie Royal, Calais Cambell, Ray Rice, ect… So far, Balmer has not worked out. He’s not a bad player, but has clearly not been a playmaker (how many 3-4 DEs are playmakers?).

For those of you that wanted D. Jackson, give yourself a pat on the back. That kid is a heck of a NFL WR and you should be proud of you scouting ability.

But if you also wanted Glen Dorsey, Vernon Gholston, or Darren McFadden, then drop the D. Jackson bull s**t.

Some picks are boom, some are bust and the rest are in the middle (Balmer).

[ Edited by jta854 on Dec 11, 2009 at 12:28:20 ]

. . . and Rachal.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

. . . and Rachal.

rachal is playing much better now and seems to be improving. This is only his second year and first full season.
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
Originally posted by dj43:
WOW. I can't believe some of the comments here.

Balmer has been playing very well in the past six games or so. He hasn't been getting a LOT of playing time because the starting three have played so very well but losing him out of the rotation is NOT a good thing.

Really? I haven't even noticed him when I rewatch the games. I'd rather cut him and draft someone else. Guy has done absolutely nothing to impress me. He produces like a 6th round pic

Good thing you arent the measuring stick by which we decide who gets cut and who doesnt.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

. . . and Rachal.

rachal is playing much better now and seems to be improving. This is only his second year and first full season.

We still can't run.

not disagreeing with you. But Rachals play specifically has been better. Well, the entire O has been doing better in the "spread" Run has been horrible all year, no one can argue otherwise. If it wasnt for Gore, this team would be ranked even lower.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
I just want to punch Scotty in the face. This is the worst pick EVER!

Do you read any of Maicco or Barrows articles that mention Balmer, or any of the other posts that have noted his specific play?

To repeat, it has been noted by professional observers that when he comes in to give a break for a DL that is now considered one of the top 5 in the league, THERE IS NO DROP OFF. If that means he is a bust to you, then you need to watch more football.

DJ. I think we understand this but this pick will always be evaluated against other picks and their performance. However, the logic is still flawed and ultimately a bad pick. There is something not quite right with 49er personnel eval. Why do I say that? Look how long it's taking players to make an impact - and some are a complete detriment. It's not just happening to a few players here and there but it's happening to entire drafts of players. Yes the 49ers have the most starters from drafted players, but who's starting and how good are they relative to other players in the league? Sure Balmer may not have any drop-off from Franklin but Franklin has only been good during his contract year (surprise, surprise). I wouldn't say Franklin has been an indomitable force eating up blockers, freeing LBs to rush the QB at will - no, neither he or Soap has ever been that type of player.

I'm just not one of those fans who get excited over a player's production after 8 or 9 games - or even one season. I would like (for once) to expect at least 2 consecutive seasons of solid, reliable, good play. The only players drafted who fit that mold are Gore, Willis, and Staley.

Ah now the rubber meets the road. This year proves only that those who've just started to produced can produce. That's just the beginning - that their draft spot may not have been a fluke. Honestly, the jury is certainly still out IMHO on Davis, Smith, Morgan, Hill (Jason), Rachal, Balmer, Baas, Snyder, etc etc etc..... (the rest of those drafted). I can't honestly declare any of these players as "arrived" until they do it for at least 2 consecutive seasons.

Just 2.

I like your thought process. As good as Franklin is if he were doing this for another team the, majority of people would be against signing b/c he's having a good year in his contract year. there is a thread about giving Smith a new contract already. to me they resigned Haralson too soon which is why he doesn't appear as hungry this year. when i say consistency I'm also meaning for more than just one year, or a few games.

Why does a "breakout season" almost always coincide with a contract year?

it never fails this year it's VD and Franklin.
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
I just want to punch Scotty in the face. This is the worst pick EVER!

Do you read any of Maicco or Barrows articles that mention Balmer, or any of the other posts that have noted his specific play?

To repeat, it has been noted by professional observers that when he comes in to give a break for a DL that is now considered one of the top 5 in the league, THERE IS NO DROP OFF. If that means he is a bust to you, then you need to watch more football.

DJ. I think we understand this but this pick will always be evaluated against other picks and their performance. However, the logic is still flawed and ultimately a bad pick. There is something not quite right with 49er personnel eval. Why do I say that? Look how long it's taking players to make an impact - and some are a complete detriment. It's not just happening to a few players here and there but it's happening to entire drafts of players. Yes the 49ers have the most starters from drafted players, but who's starting and how good are they relative to other players in the league? Sure Balmer may not have any drop-off from Franklin but Franklin has only been good during his contract year (surprise, surprise). I wouldn't say Franklin has been an indomitable force eating up blockers, freeing LBs to rush the QB at will - no, neither he or Soap has ever been that type of player.

I'm just not one of those fans who get excited over a player's production after 8 or 9 games - or even one season. I would like (for once) to expect at least 2 consecutive seasons of solid, reliable, good play. The only players drafted who fit that mold are Gore, Willis, and Staley.

Ah now the rubber meets the road. This year proves only that those who've just started to produced can produce. That's just the beginning - that their draft spot may not have been a fluke. Honestly, the jury is certainly still out IMHO on Davis, Smith, Morgan, Hill (Jason), Rachal, Balmer, Baas, Snyder, etc etc etc..... (the rest of those drafted). I can't honestly declare any of these players as "arrived" until they do it for at least 2 consecutive seasons.

Just 2.

I like your thought process. As good as Franklin is if he were doing this for another team the, majority of people would be against signing b/c he's having a good year in his contract year. there is a thread about giving Smith a new contract already. to me they resigned Haralson too soon which is why he doesn't appear as hungry this year. when i say consistency I'm also meaning for more than just one year, or a few games.

Why does a "breakout season" almost always coincide with a contract year?

it never fails this year it's VD and Franklin.

i think VD has two more years left. I believe he signed a 5 year deal in 06 so that means hes signed through 2011.

AB, where you at?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Every time I see Jackson make a play I just feel like killing McClueless.

Jackson is leading the league in PR average and he's a pretty good #1 WR? Brilliant Scot
Jackson is leading the league in PR average and he's a pretty good #1 WR? Brilliant Scot

Makes me want to hit the bottle to dull the pain
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Makes me want to hit the bottle to dull the pain

I hear you. Pass it this way after you're done.
Jackson has McNabb throwing him the ball.....Probowl QB. What do you really think Jackson would of done with JTO or Hill at QB? He would of never put up those kinds of numbers, so leave it alone!!
Originally posted by jreff22:
Jackson has McNabb throwing him the ball.....Probowl QB. What do you really think Jackson would of done with JTO or Hill at QB? He would of never put up those kinds of numbers, so leave it alone!!

Who cares if it wouldn't be the same numbers? He'd still be our #1 and we would have no PR issue.
Share 49ersWebzone