LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

Time for a new contract for Alex Smith?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I would say it's unfair if we didn't extend him because we did it with Shaun Hill but Hill pretty much signed backup money. I don't think Alex will extend for backup money.

I do feel we throw a fair starter offer at him and see if he wants to wait a year and try to allow his performance get a bigger contract or see if he is satisfied with the offer and tries to meet in between.

Guys, I'm ONLY pointing out his flaws as very few here will but the kid is showing some VERY good things to deserve what most of our players who play well have earned: a fair offer prior to his final year.
Wait until next year. If he lights it up and gets a huge contract midway through the season, than good for him. He'll have earned it this time.
Alex has played well lately. I'm not ready to eat any crow yet but I'm very happy and surprised he's played this well.

There is still plenty of time to evaluate him and decide if he's worthy of a new contract in the future.

Let him play out this yr, see how camp and next season goes. If he plays well next yr and maybe leads us to the playoffs, we can start sniffing around his agent during the playoffs/before he gets to F/A.

IMO he still has a ways to go. At some point he's going to have to be more comfortable taking snaps from center. He also still seems to lock onto targets. These things will need to be corrected before he's worhty of being the man for us going forward.
"Franchise QBs" can manage the game from under center. I dont know if he's proven that yet. Sure he's put up decent numbers in his limited time starting out of the shot gun, but the run plays are very limited. And last week we already started seeing teams adjust to the new strategy, namely, send one more rusher than there are blockers and take away the short routes. It didn't work every time, but it was pretty effective.

A better win ratio would also make me feel better, but I think you can argue we are scoring enough points so the defense should (but isnt) able to win it for us.

I have to say he looks very sharp as of late. He is the only one who brought his A game last Sunday. 10 drops is not acceptable

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Dec 10, 2009 at 15:08:42 ]
I say hell no!! Alex Smith played very well last week with over 300 yards, 2 td's and no interceptions but the 49ers were 1 for 12 or 1 for 14 on 3rd down. Smith does not have a good history to justify anything but I am glad he's playing better but before you jack up your chances to get other players of need let's really evaluate Smith.
On another note, if we don't extend him this year and he lights it up next year, we can easily franchise tag him as it would be worth it.
Share 49ersWebzone