There are 247 users in the forums

Time for a new contract for Alex Smith?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Time for a new contract for Alex Smith?

If he continues to perform well this season, will we negotiate a new contract with him? He'll be a free agent after 2010. If he has a 4,000-yard, 30 TD season next year (which is a distinct possibility), we'll have to franchise him or give him his old contract back.

The smart thing is to negotiate a new contract before a final year. Thoughts? Has he earned it?
Lets wait till we are for sure he is the franchise.

I don't care if he costs us more money, if he puts up 4k yards and 30TD's I have no problem paying him.

[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Dec 9, 2009 at 13:56:25 ]
They will likely Franchise him if he continues to do well when he comes up for FA. Sure it would be smart to sign him now. He likely won't want to because he will receive more money after next year.
No. He neds to play lights out for a while to finally earn all that money they already payed him.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
They will likely Franchise him if he continues to do well when he comes up for FA. Sure it would be smart to sign him now. He likely won't want to because he will receive more money after next year.

But from Smith's perspective he's hedging his bets against injury. That's why players HATE a franchise tag and always want to re-negotiate BEFORE a contract year (injury risk).
I think he is making 3 mil a year right now and signed through 2011. Either way after this year you sign him long term for much less than he was making when we picked him 1st overall. That way when he blossoms you're saving a ton of money. It's a gamble but a smart one.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
No. He neds to play lights out for a while to finally earn all that money they already payed him.

No doubt.

umm. i think he is showing that it has not all been his lack of production but instead the franchises lack of production. Whether it be coaching or personnel around Alex.
why he still has some years on his current contract at a reduced rate?
If Alex Smith shows enough talent for franchise tender we wouldn't really have to worry about him fleeing if we plan to lock him up after next season (but if we make the playoffs in 2010 he'll definitely get franchised immediately). If the man decided to stick around with the same franchise that almost ruined him, then he'll stick around with the franchise that's giving him noble success as an individual.

wait until next year
I think he bolts after his contract is up and joins his best friend Mike Nolan in Denver.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

But from Smith's perspective he's hedging his bets against injury. That's why players HATE a franchise tag and always want to re-negotiate BEFORE a contract year (injury risk).

Playing armchair GM, I would not be able to put a value on Smith right now, so I would not want to even think about a new contract at this point. He has had many struggles & question marks over his head, and is only now looking like he might be legit. I'd rather wait to see how he plays next season, and pay what it takes to keep him if he is great, than do a contract too soon that does not look at all like the correct dollar amount a year later. Smith is loyal to the 49ers, because they stuck with him after firing the last head coach he didn't get along with. He will negotiate in good faith when he is facing free agency.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
If Alex Smith shows enough talent for franchise tender we wouldn't really have to worry about him fleeing if we plan to lock him up after next season (but if we make the playoffs in 2010 he'll definitely get franchised immediately). If the man decided to stick around with the same franchise that almost ruined him, then he'll stick around with the franchise that's giving him noble success as an individual.

Yeah, I think if the Niners make a fair market offer under those condition Smith won't be looking to go anywhere.
Originally posted by YouGotGored:

umm. i think he is showing that it has not all been his lack of production but instead the franchises lack of production. Whether it be coaching or personnel around Alex.

He was part & parcel of the lack of production on offesne. alog with other players & coaching/FO issues. He is just starting to get it, and that is nice to see. But it was never a situation where Smith came into the league already good as a NFL starter, and it was just everyone else's fault for having no offense. So why the rush to start paying this guy more money right now? He aint going anywhere for a while. Let him establish himself first as starter. He is only just starting to work on that goal again right now.
Share 49ersWebzone