LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 160 users in the forums

Alex Smith vs. Drew Brees...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jta854:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Overkill:
I see a vague similarity in terms of career trajectory, but the similarities end there imo.

Brees found success by adapting to NFL offenses. To this point, Alex has only found success when the offense is adapted to him.

LOL. Do you even watch the games? The entire New Orleans offense is adapted to Drew Brees. That's what good teams do. Play to thier players strengths. Stupid teams like ours play to their players weaknesses for 4 1/2 years and finally figure out gee maybe Alex in the spread is a good idea... The New Orleans offense is very much spread and shotgun and they brought in tons of elite weapons over the years in the draft, FA, trade and all kinds of ways just for Brees. Everything they have built and established was to fit Brees comfort zone.

Well said.

Drew Brees found success in San Diego playing in an offense built around LT. I would say its ironic that someone from San Diego would know so little about Drew Brees, but you rarely make lucid comments, so this really doesn't surprise me.

And its pretty ridiculous to compare our adoption of the spread offense to teams like NO, Indy, or NE building around their QB's. All those teams went in those directions because their QB's are among the best to ever play, and all of those QB's can function under center. We adopted the spread because Alex can't function under center. They "played to a strength", while we ran from a weakness. Again, a glaringly obvious difference that you seemed to have missed (not that I'm surprised).
Originally posted by Goldtimer:
I see a vague similarity in terms of career trajectory, but the similarities end there imo.

Brees found success by adapting to NFL offenses. To this point, Alex has only found success when the offense is adapted to him.

Hmm, Brees is a short QB and they make sure to move him around so that he has throwing lanes. If you watch the NO offense they move the pocket around a lot so he can make throws in open space.

As far as Alex goes we are adjusting to the limitations of the Oline more than adjusting to him.

Brees moves in the pocket more than NO rolls the pocket one direction or another to open up throwing lanes. He has overcome his height more than the OC compensates for it.

Its true the spread helps our OL as well as Alex, but I wouldn't say Alex's struggles under center are always the OL's fault. I think we'd be in the spread even if we had solid play on the OL this year.

LOL. Do you even watch the games? The entire New Orleans offense is adapted to Drew Brees. That's what good teams do. Play to thier players strengths. Stupid teams like ours play to their players weaknesses for 4 1/2 years and finally figure out gee maybe Alex in the spread is a good idea... The New Orleans offense is very much spread and shotgun and they brought in tons of elite weapons over the years in the draft, FA, trade and all kinds of ways just for Brees. Everything they have built and established was to fit Brees comfort zone.

Well said.

Drew Brees found success in San Diego playing in an offense built around LT. I would say its ironic that someone from San Diego would know so little about Drew Brees, but you rarely make lucid comments, so this really doesn't surprise me.

And its pretty ridiculous to compare our adoption of the spread offense to teams like NO, Indy, or NE building around their QB's. All those teams went in those directions because their QB's are among the best to ever play, and all of those QB's can function under center. We adopted the spread because Alex can't function under center. They "played to a strength", while we ran from a weakness. Again, a glaringly obvious difference that you seemed to have missed (not that I'm surprised).

Bingo!!! A key fact is that these QBs are trusted with a spread and throwing that many times because they basically control the offense. Alex still makes an errant throw because that was what the play was called. Spread offense means multiple options and making changes and adjustments as to who that option is.

Of course, Alex will get better but not being able to run the ball will hurt us. If we do get better run-blockers, then Alex will still be called upon to run from under center.

Well said.

The Charger offense featured LT in his prime. And that Charger team had a 1,000 times better O LINE in front of him than what Alex has had over his career. His job was to make some throws to Gates which he did. And Gates has much better hands than VD. He catches everything. No 3 drops a game.

The best years of Brees life are in New Orleans. Yes they adapted their offense to Brees strengths. It's what good teams do.

Alex can play fine under center if you give him time. He needs more than 0.5 seconds for the LG, RG, and RT to collapse so he can set up and throw...
what are you guys talking about....... Brees NEVER uses the shotgun.

Well said.

Sounds like the Architech from the Matrix

Well said.

LOL...wow....

I don't think NO built the spread because Brees was "among the best to ever play". They did it because it worked for them.

The Niners didn't switch because Smith can't operate under center. They switched because he played SO WELL when they were playing from behind in Houston and Green Bay (450 + yards and 6 TDs in 4 quarters of play). The offensive players ASKED Singletary and Raye to make the switch and they have been very successful in the past two weeks.

Smith has had two of his best passing performances in the past two weeks. He's thrown for nearly 600 yards, 4 TDs, 0 INTs and if not for drops could easily have 3 more TDs.

I think people may need to start giving Smith a chance...lol. Very few on this board are saying that Smith is a slam dunk Pro Bowl QB. We are just saying he is starting to play well and it may be time to think that he may just turn this thing around.

Well said.

I guess you didn't watch the last game when both TD's came from under center, thereby rendering your point moot. He is more comfortable in the spread because he can get that extra second to make his reads instead of being flattened by a defender. If we can work out the problems with the offensive line the problem will take care of itself.
  • CalgaryNiner
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Absolutely ZERO comparison other than the fact that they both hurt their shoulder.

Drew Brees in his rookie year started ONE game in which he went 15 for 27 and 221 yards with 1 TD and 0 INT.

Drew Brees was not being considered to be a backup due to his performance because he threw for 3,284 yards in his second year. He was being considered for the backup because SD paid a crap load to acquire Rivers and it was money sitting on the bench.

Alex was the money sitting on the bench for us, not the successful starter who was already here.

Drew Brees threw 65.5% for 3,159 yards with 27 TDs to 7 INTS for the Chargers in his 4th year!

Chargers were paying too much money for two QBs so they decided to go with the more talent that more money was invested in.

Yes, the Chargers DID consider him a backup...otherwise they never would have even DRAFTED Manning or Rivers.

That was because he injured his shoulder at the end of year 3, which is why he had the "bad" year. The Chargers thought the shoulder injury was one that he wouldn't be able to come back from and they had a chance at drafting another franchise QB. Drew Brees wasn't in the strong arm category which is why they thought his career was over and desired a strong-armed QB with Uber talent.

If you tell me I have a chance at getting a Manning on my team after seeing the older brother and my QB just had a serious shoulder injury, I wouldn't hesitate. On top of that, Rivers was also considered a #1 prospect. Teams shouldn't ever pass up on Franchise QBs which is what SD went for. Then, they had the dilemma of paying major money to that draft pick while he was sitting on the bench or get something in value for a trade.

Brees threw for 64.6% and 3,576 yards with a rating of 89.2 in his 5th year on the Chargers.

If you want to bench a QB, then you do it but Brees played 16 games in that last year with the Chargers. There was just too much invested in Rivers to keep him on the bench which was why Brees was considered.

And unlike Alex Smith, teams wanted Brees upon his availability.

Actually, teams weren't really jumping all over Brees when he was available. If you remember, the Dolphins were Brees' first option and they chose Culpepper instead.

Well said.

The Charger offense featured LT in his prime. And that Charger team had a 1,000 times better O LINE in front of him than what Alex has had over his career. His job was to make some throws to Gates which he did. And Gates has much better hands than VD. He catches everything. No 3 drops a game.

The best years of Brees life are in New Orleans. Yes they adapted their offense to Brees strengths. It's what good teams do.

Alex can play fine under center if you give him time. He needs more than 0.5 seconds for the LG, RG, and RT to collapse so he can set up and throw...

LOL, got any other excuses you want to throw out there. I don't care to recap 5 years of Alex Smith posts when none of that stuff is relevant.

The bottomline is that Drew Brees showed he was a legit QB BEFORE playing in the spread. Alex Smith has only shown success in the spread. That was what I said in my original post.

Originally posted by Marvin49:

Well said.

LOL...wow....

I don't think NO built the spread because Brees was "among the best to ever play". They did it because it worked for them.

The Niners didn't switch because Smith can't operate under center. They switched because he played SO WELL when they were playing from behind in Houston and Green Bay (450 + yards and 6 TDs in 4 quarters of play). The offensive players ASKED Singletary and Raye to make the switch and they have been very successful in the past two weeks.

Smith has had two of his best passing performances in the past two weeks. He's thrown for nearly 600 yards, 4 TDs, 0 INTs and if not for drops could easily have 3 more TDs.

I think people may need to start giving Smith a chance...lol. Very few on this board are saying that Smith is a slam dunk Pro Bowl QB. We are just saying he is starting to play well and it may be time to think that he may just turn this thing around.

We are giving him a chance and actually are accepting him as becoming a good starter, but to compare his path to Brees' path is not correct.

Brees threw for 4,418 yards in his first year in NO. Remember, he is now with a new OC and an entirely new offense all together. I don't believe Smith does this.

So, Brees lights it up and now the coach thinks this guy is good so let's do something so he throws even more and there we have the spread.

With Smith it was, Man this guy sucks in this but he's good in this so let's do it.

Everything we are doing for Smith is because he sucks in everything else that is tried with him. Everything NO does with Brees, Colts do with Manning, and Pats do with Brady is because they want to make what's already good even better, not because they can't do anything else well.

[ Edited by Joecool on Dec 9, 2009 at 12:17:16 ]

Well said.

LOL, got any other excuses you want to throw out there. I don't care to recap 5 years of Alex Smith posts when none of that stuff is relevant.

The bottomline is that Drew Brees showed he was a legit QB BEFORE playing in the spread. Alex Smith has only shown success in the spread. That was what I said in my original post.

Again, did you not notice the success he had under center last weak? Or are you ignoring it because it contradicts your point?

Well said.

OK...I have to say this....this "spread" thing is driving me nuts. Can you define what "spread" means? The Niners don't run the spread the way Texas Tech does. Have they been calling alot more passing plays? Yes. They are doing it tho with 2 TEs, 2 WRs and a RB.

Has Smith been playing in the shotgun? Ya, but he is also playing under center and both TDs last week came from under center.

Are the 49ers spreading out the D instead of backing all 11 guys close to the LOS. Yes, they are...as do most successful teams in the NFL.

The Niners O is a work in progress. Of that there is no question. They need to find a way to run out of a formation with Crabtree, Morgan, Davis and Walker. They are still finding themselves.

I'm excited to see them work this out over the next few games and in the offseason.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Well said.

Again, did you not notice the success he had under center last weak? Or are you ignoring it because it contradicts your point?

To answer you question, yes.

Now do you know how much success he has had under Center, overall?

One or two plays doesn't equate to being able to have success.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Well said.

Just to illustrate your point, Smith's stats under cenrter: 7-of-13 for 126 yards with 2 touchdowns. And keep in mind that one of his incompletions was the no-call on Walker.
Share 49ersWebzone