LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

Has Singletary failed us as fans this season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Has Singletary failed us as fans this season?

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He is a poor coach who has lost us some games. But he is a good motivator and he is far from the only problem with this organization. The problems start higher than him.

LOOK UP THE LADDER HIGHER...

One rung(Scot) or two(Jed)?
You guys expected to much out of this season. He got the team believing in eachother. We are basically the same team as last year. Mcloughan didnt do anything for us last offseason. Hopefully we have a solid offseason. He is a good coach and the players respect him.
Originally posted by King49er:
I thought 4 sure he was taking us to the playoffs this year

same. he knows what he's doing now though. i'm sure he'll take us next year with experience under his belt
Anyone that bought that we were going to be a legit playoff team this year was just setting themselves up for disappointment. I didn't buy into the hype, we are a year or more from being a serious playoff contender. We still have an outside shot at making it into the playoffs, but I would be surprised if we did make it in with the one dimensional offense we have.
He Failed with the Capital "F" to take the niner to the playoffs but not fail as a coach
Uh, god forbid he actually raised expectations and FORCED us to hold the team to a higher standard. You sure sound like someone who likes to pass blame along.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by zozell:
"Physical with an F" "Just watch" "Just be there" "Be there from the beggining" "We are a PlayOff Team" "We will run the ball at will" "We go out and hit people in the mouth" "I WANT WINNERS"

All that s**t sounded good. It really did. I was a beleiver. I was pumped about this season. Not saying that I'm not a beleiver any more nor am I saying I have lost faith in Coach... but he talked a gang of s**t that he didn't back up...

He FORCED us as a fans to have higher expectations. He FORCED us to expect to be in the playoffs. Jed allowed him to raise our expectations. Good marketing gimmicks for bottom line? Sure seems like it. Woulda been nice if ANY of it actually had any merit...

So I ask you as a 49er fan, when the 49ers don't make the playoff's this season (yes when NOT if), will Coach Singletary have failed us?

I'm my opinion whilst he has shown signs of being flexible it often came too late to change anything. That is the mark of a rookie coach who wanted to persevere with a game plan that did not make sense. No-one could have accounted for Smith's return to the fore but equally everyone saw the futility of the run heavy offence.

I think he failed. He has played in this league and he has certainly coached in it long enough to know when things work and when they don't. He was given some bad luck along the way also.

Whilst I think he did not do enough to win at times he is in no way to blame for the whole season. I believe that rests with our GM.
Like many things with the 49ers, he is still a work in progress as a new head coach.

I'll give a mulligan for this season. It is not whether someone makes mistakes to be alarmed by, but rather if they don't learn from their mistakes & keep making the same ones over & over.
Originally posted by Niners99:
...and thats with the boring, run first minded jimmy raye at QB, and...

No wonder we didn't make the playoffs...

BWAAAHAAAHAAHHA!
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by darkknight49:
He FORCED us as a fans to have higher expectations. He FORCED us to expect to be in the playoffs. Jed allowed him to raise our expectations.

uh, sure man.

agreed.

Poor logic op.

He looked at his team, gave them a goal, shared it with the fans and went to work.

Things didn't go the right way. Some of it his fault. Some not.

- if Farve didn't get lucky by an inch

-if Parys Harlson tackled Chris Johnson at the 6 yard line on 4th and goal with the game on the line..

-if Gore didn't fumble on the seahawks 26 with the game damn near sealed

-if the Colts didn't have to look deep in the cheeser playbook and bust out the halfback-option pass..

Threads like this wouldn't exist.

Singletary is the reason Crabtree started as soon as possible. He stuck his neck out and if Crabtree failed early on, it would be on Singletary's head , big time.

Singletary turned a problem child like V.D. into a Pro Bowler

Singletary made me a renewed Alex Smith fan

Singletary matured Manny Lawson, Abrayououou, Ahmad Brooks, Dashon , etc into a legit defense

If Singletary turned these chumps into contenders,
imagine what he can do with two first round draft picks next year

[ Edited by TonyStarks on Dec 15, 2009 at 08:24:29 ]
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
- if Farve didn't get lucky by an inch

-if Parys Harlson tackled Chris Johnson at the 6 yard line on 4th and goal with the game on the line..

-if Gore didn't fumble on the seahawks 26 with the game damn near sealed

-if the Colts didn't have to look deep in the cheeser playbook and bust out the halfback-option pass..

Threads like this wouldn't exist.

Singletary is the reason Crabtree started as soon as possible. He stuck his neck out and if Crabtree failed early on, it would be on Singletary's head , big time.

Singletary turned a problem child like V.D. into a Pro Bowler

Singletary made me a renewed Alex Smith fan

Singletary matured Manny Lawson, Abrayououou, Ahmad Brooks, Dashon , etc into a legit defense

If Singletary turned these chumps into contenders,
imagine what he can do with two first round draft picks next year

• Chief
  • Veteran
The season isn't over yet, ask me later.
If we miss the playoffs, of course he has, he promised us playoffs, and so did Jed. But, this team has also shown a lot of improvement, a couple plays here, a couple plays there, and we would be 7-6, or 8-5, he's doing a good job, for a "rookie" HC.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
He FORCED us as a fans to have higher expectations. He FORCED us to expect to be in the playoffs. Jed allowed him to raise our expectations.

uh, sure man.

I agree. I think. In the sense that I think this team was constantly put in positions to win big games. The playoffs did not seem like a fantasy this year.
Share 49ersWebzone