There are 215 users in the forums

Has Singletary failed us as fans this season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Has Singletary failed us as fans this season?

Originally posted by zozell:
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by darkknight49:
He FORCED us as a fans to have higher expectations. He FORCED us to expect to be in the playoffs. Jed allowed him to raise our expectations.

uh, sure man.

When was the last time u saw a Rookie HC, a Rookie Owner, a GM, and a Director of marketing get on a panel and take questions from fans, where the HC blew all kinds of smoke up our asses??? Do u not remember that little State of the Franchise Special before the Season Started?

Singletary was talking as if he walked on water, almost trying to make fans look dumb for asking him Valid questions! Have you ever seen an Rookie NFL coach so cocky as to talk THAT MUCH s**t before the season started?

He talked it, got us to bite, and couldn't deliver... so "uh sure man " yourself...

you dont have to listen. Its your own fault if you bit, expected the playoffs and are now disappointed.

U didn't bite?

no because i don't really listen to what the coaches say since it's all canned stuff for the most part anyway. I listen more to the beat writers and what i can get from watching games. I don't watch the press conferences, listen to the podcasts, or watch the videos on the team site. Frankly, i've been way too busy with school to do so.

If you had any realistic idea about this team coming into the season, you could easily see that there were just too many questions coming into this season to be a bona fide contender. My thinking is if the team gets into the playoffs, they are gonna get creamed. I also didn't think hill was going to last the whole season and that is never good for playoff contention.
Its pretty funny that every option in your pole is an affirmative that he failed us. You just happen to have put in one option (the mulligan) saying "I forgive him for failing us"........What about a no he hasn't failed us at all option?
Let me amend that, your second option is a "Maybe he failed us". But I want to vote "No he didn't fail us because I'm not such a moron as to believe everything I'm told by the marketing department of products I buy"
Fans have failed the 49ers
anyone who expected a rookie HC to lead a team that hasnt had a winning record in 7 years to magically be a playoff contender, is a laughable excuse of a football fan.

can any of you guys seriously not look at this team from the day Sing took over til now, and say he HASNT improved the team? its very clear that he HAS improved this team from what it was under Nolan and Erickson. if you cant see it, youre blind.

give him some time to gain experience and build up his team. when Nolan got fired last year, look at where we were. QB was a disaster, no solution in sight. WR's were non factors. VD was a bust. Mike Martz, the supposed "offensive mastermind" couldnt even jumpstart this offense.

now look at us. alex smith is looking like the answer at QB, we have a possible future Larry Fitzgerald at WR, opposing another decent up and coming WR in Morgan. VD is the best TE in football, our BACKUP TE is a playmaker, Gore has found the endzone 9 times in 9 games, etc.

and thats with the boring, run first minded jimmy raye at QB, and the defensive mind only singletary as HC.

remember when the defensive minded Nolan was HC and our offense was absolutely awful? this team has promise. we werent winning the super bowl this year anyways. come on. common sense!! maybe we arent as far along as wed liked to have been, but we will come back next year even stronger and more experienced.

i have no doubts the talent this year has will be a winner when it gets the time and continuity.

[ Edited by Niners99 on Dec 9, 2009 at 01:21:02 ]
He's failed his coaches and players...into thinking he knew what he was doing. He has 20 games under his belt now...no more rookie head coach excuses. The leadership's there, but not the things that win games, like knowledge, experience, savvy, etc.
This team is giving max effort and in there losses and learning in the process. You can only get better from there. This is a different situation then a lot of rookie coaches cause Singletary could not revamp the whole team because a lot of the things from Nolan's leadership he supported. So there is a lot of the key players are used to the losing culture, and instead of getting rid of them Singletary has pushed them, put confidence in them, and showed them they need to get better. How can you not respect what he is doing with these guys, you have to realize there's going to be a process in learning how to win. I haven't walked away from away from any games this year, because they have been right there in every game except one. I couldn't say that when Mike Nolan or Erickson was coach.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
He's failed his coaches and players...into thinking he knew what he was doing. He has 20 games under his belt now...no more rookie head coach excuses. The leadership's there, but not the things that win games, like knowledge, experience, savvy, etc.

There is no failure in losing and making mistakes, Failure is in giving up, and I haven't seen any signs of the team doing that. He took on a team that looked like that had nothing to build on to a team that looks like they are a couple players away in a years time without any major personnel changes.
Don't fault the man who has no experience in his job. Let the man go through some growing pains. This is his first full season, let him make them stupid mistakes now while the team is starting to find it's identity. Only if he can't learn from his mistakes than can we shun him.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

I think your confused buddy. First you say he has 20 games under his belt, no more rookie excuses. Than on the other hand you say he lacks experience, so what is it. Maybe you just want someone to blame and he is the easiest target to point your finger at. Give the guy another season.

[ Edited by insanemike27 on Dec 9, 2009 at 05:30:10 ]

I disagree with you on this as I think Singletary is a good coach because these guys do expect to win and they didn't make crazy mistakes the first four games. The problem is that they couldn't maintain that consistency over 16 games and we need better players. I mean has every coach the Lions had been a poor coach? Have they had more than enough bad players? I say yes. No matter what X or O you draw up the players have to execute. That being said I was extremely frustrated with his game management against the Vikings,Cardinals and the Colts. But check out some of the decisions made by Belichek this year, I mean really odd this year.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by King49er:
I thought 4 sure he was taking us to the playoffs this year

I don't think he ever will with his game management / time management. He gets out coached in every single game. IMO he is intense and a good motivator but terrible at X's and O's.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
A coach is only as good as his players. Sing is doing a good job with what he's got to work with.
Originally posted by mayo63:
A coach is only as good as his players. Sing is doing a good job with what he's got to work with.

Exactly I was just about to say it's the players more than the coaches.
Originally posted by 228niner:
Originally posted by jrg:
I think Coach Singletary has this team on the right path.
1- it's his first year
2- implement his D
3- we had no O identity untill the end of the year
4- what are we going to do next year are we staying with the spread O cuz Alex only succeed in that O what about Gore./
We need upgrade in OL and passrush still , same problem that we had last year.
are we going to Franshise Franklen or lett him go and try to pick a massive DT. we still need to do that anyway cuz we don't have a tru 3-4 DT.
CB needs depth and SS/FS.
KR/PR I think that what cost us the Playoffs !
Sing needs 2 more years but i think if we take care of OL in FA and the Draft we can make the playoffs !
Share 49ersWebzone