LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 280 users in the forums

Manny Lawson And Brooks

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tmg808:
I think your right about digging. I just looked it up, the 49ers are 7th in the league in in Sacks, without a big time pass rusher.

that's not bad at all
Manny has been great and just like clements takes so much flak because he doesnt put up numbers. But just like Nate you take him away I guarantee our D will start to blow.

Haralson aslo is crap now money went to his head i guess
I liked what I saw from both guys on Sunday...the problem is, the pass rush is too inconsistent. We don't have anyone who strikes fear in opponents...and that's what we need. Once you have that, then the other guys will step up...something we really needed to STOP Hasselbeck at game's end, but just didn't get.
Manny Lawsons First 44 games as a 49er 11 Sacks
Julian Pettersons First 44 games as a 49er 9 Sacks

[ Edited by tmg808 on Dec 9, 2009 at 04:53:34 ]
Lawson and Parys have both been coming on as of late. Lawson since the bye week has got 5 sacks in 7 games. He has also got a sack in each of the last 3 games. Haralson has got a sack in the last 2 games. I say let these guys and Brooks play out the season before assessing them. Manny has been making plays all year, he just had not got to the QB the 1st month of the season. If he can constantly put pressure on the QB, he will be a very damn good LB.
Manny hadn't shown much pass rush ability up until this year...lately, he's turning into a very reliable pass rusher and overall playmaker; we need to let him continue to develop. Same with Brooks...he went back and forth between ILB and OLB for the first few years of his career, so this is really only his first full year as a dedicated pass rusher. If he spends the off-season getting into crazy shape, Brooks could be a beast off the edge.

Call me crazy, but I see the trio of Parys, Manny and Brooks getting even better next year.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Manny hadn't shown much pass rush ability up until this year...lately, he's turning into a very reliable pass rusher and overall playmaker; we need to let him continue to develop. Same with Brooks...he went back and forth between ILB and OLB for the first few years of his career, so this is really only his first full year as a dedicated pass rusher. If he spends the off-season getting into crazy shape, Brooks could be a beast off the edge.

Call me crazy, but I see the trio of Parys, Manny and Brooks getting even better next year.

Not sure about Haralson though. Dude got Banta-Cain-itis after signing the big deal.
Originally posted by GEEK:

Not sure about Haralson though. Dude got Banta-Cain-itis after signing the big deal.

Dude, I've been following Haralson since his days at Tennessee, and he's nothing like TBC. He's all heart. After the first few games, it looked like they started chipping/max protecting Haralson more than they had before...not that they were constantly double-teaming him, but they were clearly paying more attention to him than he was used to. He's adjusting to that and playing better now.
Whatever happens Lawson, Brooks, and Haralason have the rest of the year to display their stuff. Hopefully Briggs, will show something as well and I think we still need to draft an OLB/DE to start the training process. I think we need to keep drafting quality LBs like Pittsburgh does. Then in training camp we can start to seperate the men from the boys.

I think Lawson has done a good job. He has set the edge for the running game - Defense was 5th on the running game and part of that has been Lawson. He has forced two fumbles, and three sacks in the last three games. So he is doing his part.

In reference to Goldson. Improved but still needs more improvement. I hope that this year we will draft another FS and get rid of Roman. Roman has just enough skill to hang around but not enough skill to take care of our needs. He has maxed out and if at all possible we need to purge him.

Should be an interesting draft on defense. Dline seems to be settled. We need to re-sign Franklin and we should be set on the Dline. We need another ILB, and another ILB and then a CB and FS. I think Lewis is about done.

But clearly get us some oline men as well.

[ Edited by Ninefan56 on Dec 9, 2009 at 22:11:53 ]
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Whatever happens Lawson, Brooks, and Haralason have the rest of the year to display their stuff. Hopefully Briggs, will show something as well and I think we still need to draft an OLB/DE to start the training process. I think we need to keep drafting quality LBs like Pittsburgh does. Then in training camp we can start to seperate the men from the boys.

I think Lawson has done a good job. He has set the edge for the running game - Defense was 5th on the running game and part of that has been Lawson. He has forced two fumbles, and three sacks in the last three games. So he is doing his part.

In reference to Goldson. Improved but still needs more improvement. I hope that this year we will draft another FS and get rid of Roman. Roman has just enough skill to hang around but not enough skill to take care of our needs. He has maxed out and if at all possible we need to purge him.

Should be an interesting draft on defense. Oline seems to be settled. We need to re-sign Franklin and we should be set on the Dline. We need another ILB, and another ILB and then a CB and FS. I think Lewis is about done.

The Oline is not set at all. Our oline can't run block to save their life.

Originally posted by jta854:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

Should be an interesting draft on defense. Oline seems to be settled. We need to re-sign Franklin and we should be set on the Dline. We need another ILB, and another ILB and then a CB and FS. I think Lewis is about done.

The Oline is not set at all. Our oline can't run block to save their life.

They couldn't pass protect either, but since going primarily to a shot-gun approach, they've only given up 1 sack in the last 10 quarters. Perhaps it's our run/blocking-scheme that needs to be tweaked and not necessarily (or only) the talent (which does need to be addressed as well, but perhaps isn't as awful as we all might think).

Maybe going away from a power run blocking scheme and moving towards a zone-blocking scheme might be the answer.

[ Edited by GoFD74 on Dec 9, 2009 at 10:26:45 ]

so do you see them targeting a rusher with one of the first two if these three guys continue to show progress?

Add George Selvie or Brandon Graham to that and your set. For at least 4-5 years.
Originally posted by Allx9er:

so do you see them targeting a rusher with one of the first two if these three guys continue to show progress?

If there was a top 15 pass rusher available, I could see them grabbing one. Problem is (and I've stated this in different forums), I personally don't see a TRUE top 15 pass rusher in this draft. I tend to think we'll use a 2nd or 3rd on a pass rusher this year to develop behind these three.

I really think we'll use those 1st two picks to address our o-line and our defensive backfield, though I would personally prefer to see us get Spiller with one of those picks. Like Ninerjohn has said, C.J. Spiller and Joe Haden (CB) would be a great first round.

[ Edited by GoFD74 on Dec 9, 2009 at 11:09:15 ]
Originally posted by Allx9er:

If there was a top 15 pass rusher available, I could see them grabbing one. Problem is (and I've stated this in different forums), I personally don't see a TRUE top 15 pass rusher in this draft. I tend to think we'll use a 2nd or 3rd on a pass rusher this year to develop behind these three.

I really think we'll use those 1st two picks to address our o-line and our defensive backfield, though I would personally prefer to see us get Spiller with one of those picks. Like Ninerjohn has said, C.J. Spiller and Joe Haden (CB) would be a great first round.

I think Spiller and Haden would be great picks for this team. We also need a quality punt returner.
Share 49ersWebzone