There are 184 users in the forums

(UPDATED)Front Seven Good, The Rest of the D???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
willis and franklin are good...the rest are ok...at least spikes can dance
Statistics can be misleading...I'd much rather have guys who, when the game's on the line, step up and make the plays. We haven't done that...the most recent example is in Seattle. When they really needed to stop Hasselbeck, they just couldn't do it. Our pass rushing's been all or nothing...we either have six sacks like in the Jags game, or we don't get much pressure at all. They key to effective pass rushing is you have to be consistent...and ours just isn't. I don't think Sopoaga's a good DE...sure, he takes up some space, but you don't see him getting into the backfield like Justin Smith does. Our DL's played pretty well overall, but quality depth, I just don't see it. Other than J. Smith and Willis, name any other of our front 7 any teams would fear/respect. You can't...and it's because they're not difference makers.

There's room for improvement in the secondary, too. We still don't have a FS who's taken charge back there. For all Goldson's athleticism, I don't see him disrupting plays...I do see him reacting to a TON of plays in front of him. The FS should be a difference maker...and we don't have one.
  • Luca
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

Lol you are coorect about Spikes
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
No.

It's not good at all. We don't have any pass rush. Your front 7 can't be good without a pass rush. And it's directly responsible for a lot of our struggles in the secondary.

Our pass rush is not always that bad. It saved us in the JAX game. The DBs were getting burned then too.

We had a pass rush this past week in SEA. Their recievers got open. On Branches TD the corner wasn't even looking at anything, just running with the WR.

our pass rush is like a ninja or something, not seen at all then all of a sudden we get a sack.. then it dips back into the shadows

[ Edited by RonMexico on Dec 9, 2009 at 00:43:56 ]
i blame all of our defensive problems on Mark Roman. i wish there was a lowlight reel to show everyone how absolutely terrible he is. he sucks at throwing the football, run and pass blocking, holding on to the football, catching, pressuring the qb, handling punts, covering WRs, and anything else imaginable. cut him!!
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

Justin Smith has been a beast for 90% of the season.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Statistics can be misleading...I'd much rather have guys who, when the game's on the line, step up and make the plays. We haven't done that...the most recent example is in Seattle. When they really needed to stop Hasselbeck, they just couldn't do it. Our pass rushing's been all or nothing...we either have six sacks like in the Jags game, or we don't get much pressure at all. They key to effective pass rushing is you have to be consistent...and ours just isn't. I don't think Sopoaga's a good DE...sure, he takes up some space, but you don't see him getting into the backfield like Justin Smith does. Our DL's played pretty well overall, but quality depth, I just don't see it. Other than J. Smith and Willis, name any other of our front 7 any teams would fear/respect. You can't...and it's because they're not difference makers.

There's room for improvement in the secondary, too. We still don't have a FS who's taken charge back there. For all Goldson's athleticism, I don't see him disrupting plays...I do see him reacting to a TON of plays in front of him. The FS should be a difference maker...and we don't have one.

How can you say stats are misleading...? Prove to me that every other team in the top 10 DOESN'T get their sacks in bunches and then you might have a point. Until then, what you say doesn't hold any water.

Our pass rush has not been bad this year. Even if you watch the games you'll see that there have only been a few games in which we didn't get pressure at some point.

Are you expecting to get to the QB on every play? If so, I really don't know what to tell you.

It's true that we don't have a dominant OLB but our D-line has done a good job of getting push all year, leading to a lot of our sacks. Now I still think we could benefit immensely from an OLB who can rush the passer like Dumervil or Ware (who wouldn't) but to say we haven't had any pressure is misleading.
Some people complain about lack of sacks and others say "But look at pressures!"

Other people point out ample sacks and others say "What about the lack of pressures?"

Niner Talk.

Goldson was big last night. He can step u and show to be the leader of the secondary the rest of the year.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
No.

It's not good at all. We don't have any pass rush. Your front 7 can't be good without a pass rush. And it's directly responsible for a lot of our struggles in the secondary.

7th in sacks = no pass rush.

We certainly have room to grow as a defense but all of a sudden Goldson is beginning to show some of the talent the coaches see in practice. Brooks is now starting to show some of his talents like the coaches see in practice. With all of the players playing as a coordinated team we look better all around. Now all we need to do is do this for at least 3 more games.
dang did we lose the game ?!!!!
the pass rush wasn't too consistent earlier in the season, but it certainly has been the last 3 games. Whatever you're doing Manusky, keep doing it.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
We certainly have room to grow as a defense but all of a sudden Goldson is beginning to show some of the talent the coaches see in practice. Brooks is now starting to show some of his talents like the coaches see in practice. With all of the players playing as a coordinated team we look better all around. Now all we need to do is do this for at least 3 more games.

The thing about the Niners that has been a trend for 3-4 years now is they play TOUGH in the late part of the season. That bodes well for when they get over the hump in the beginning to middle part of the year. The teams that are the hottest going into the playoffs usually make a good run.
The front 7 is one of the best in football.

Franklin has played a great nose this year.
Smith is the best 34 DE in football bar none.
Sopoaga and RayMac have been solid

Willis is the best ILB in football without question.
Spikes is a very good player in the middle.
Brooks is coming around.
Lawson and Haralson have their flaws, but are better than people on here make them out to be.
Share 49ersWebzone