There are 214 users in the forums

(UPDATED)Front Seven Good, The Rest of the D???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
No.

It's not good at all. We don't have any pass rush. Your front 7 can't be good without a pass rush. And it's directly responsible for a lot of our struggles in the secondary.

7th in sacks = no pass rush.

you really should not take stats so literally, sacks stat especially.

They don't really have a stat for pressure generated by 3 or 4 men fronts consistently throughout an entire game.

TeamA applies consistent pressure on QB with 3-4 men, gets 1 sack
Team B gets chopped up all day long giving up pass yards, blitzes 6-7 5 times, and gets 3 sacks

Who has the better pass rush?

We are all supposed to be serious Niner fans here. You can't actually watch a Niner game and come away thinking we have a good pass rush.....we simply don't. Sometimes just watching the games without bias tells you much more than stats will

But for the record, if you were simply stating that it is not fair to say "NO pass rush" then I agree with you.

But #7 in sacks is misleading.

We have improved in 2009, I will admit that

[ Edited by danimal on Dec 8, 2009 at 16:50:25 ]
the front 7 is not good, we still have 2 holes at OLB, we can't get pressure with either one of them.

Manny is good against the run though, I'll give him that
7th in the league in sacks yet all everybody talks about is our lack of a passrush. I agree it would be nice to get a great sack master but we need at least 1 S and 1 CB.
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
No.

It's not good at all. We don't have any pass rush. Your front 7 can't be good without a pass rush. And it's directly responsible for a lot of our struggles in the secondary.

7th in sacks = no pass rush.

you really should not take stats so literally, sacks stat especially.

They don't really have a stat for pressure generated by 3 or 4 men fronts consistently throughout an entire game.

TeamA applies consistent pressure on QB with 3-4 men, gets 1 sack
Team B gets chopped up all day long giving up pass yards, blitzes 6-7 5 times, and gets 3 sacks

Who has the better pass rush?

We are all supposed to be serious Niner fans here. You can't actually watch a Niner game and come away thinking we have a good pass rush.....we simply don't. Sometimes just watching the games without bias tells you much more than stats will

But for the record, if you were simply stating that it is not fair to say "NO pass rush" then I agree with you.

But #7 in sacks is misleading.

We have improved in 2009, I will admit that
I don't think sacks are ever misleading, If you look at the other top 10 teams they are all in the playoff hunt. (There is no team like the Rams up there). I agree it looks that the blitzes aren't working , but secondary I feel is responsible for the blitzes not being more effective. Its like they don't know a blitz is coming. They never jump the routes and take away the hot read.
Originally posted by matt49er:
7th in the league in sacks yet all everybody talks about is our lack of a passrush. I agree it would be nice to get a great sack master but we need at least 1 S and 1 CB.

I agree.
When you hear the defense line talk about the 3-4 they says the design is for everyone to make play and it all is coming for the front 7. Only 3 sacks have came from the secondary this year out of 30. That means that the pressure is coming from the LB and DL the way the defense said it was designed, and they are having as much success as any other team in the league
I agree our pass D is'nt all that great but #25 Brown although a rookie is kinda holding his own. He is not great but he is fair roman is inconsistant. Draft time we draft some help in the secondary along with o/l help
we should wait until the end of the season to see how this teams D stacks up against the rest especially when trying to measure the front 7 (its the quality of the sacks/pressures that matter). the secondary is doodoo but its muddbutt without nate regardless that group is in for a change next season or at least it better be
For the most part of this year, our front 7 has been good enough. The defense did not let us down against the Hawks and in reality, they've done a good job in most of our losses.
Originally posted by Ramp19Stoner:
Finally somebody posts athread about the real reason we have been losing all these games......THE PASSING DEFENSE! Thank you!

We really need to make our secondary stronger this offseason.
Don't paint the entire secondary with the same brush.

Spencer has been solid all year and so has Lewis for the most part.

Everyone knows that Roman sucks and Clements and Brown have been mostly bad.

Goldson is certainly better than Roman was and is a work in progress.

Too soon to get a good read on Taylor or R. Smith, they just haven't played enough to judge their play.

The only guy who has shown that he could beat an O lineman one on one is J Smith. The niners pass rush has been manufactured. The niners would greatly benefit if they add an OLB/DE who can consistently pressure a QB. Right now they don't have that element.
This club never seems to have enough quality CB's, due to annual injuries, and its safeties are/have been slow since Hanks retired.

The club is playing without its 2 starting CB's, based on off-season roster planning (Clements and Harris). Spencer and Brown are solid. Bly has been a productive pick-up. But the back injury to Hudson and the groin injury to R. Smith, puts Kevin Smith or Mark Roman on the field when the opponent goes with a 4-wide formation. And all it takes one weak link in the defensive chain, for the defense to fail. And NFL OC's know how to isolate the weak link. I don't expect Harris to return in 2010.

Michael Lewis has been solid at SS, when the opponent's offense is in base, but Lewis is a liability when the opposition offense goes spread, and he must be substituted for. Lewis has a lot of wear and a new SS will likely be needed before 2011. Goldson may seem like he is struggling, but he also seems like a vast improvement over Roman at FS. The long, killer receptions by the opposition have declined significantly under Goldson's watch. I expect Goldson to continue to develop, now that he has been getting starter PT. His ball-hawking skills will re-surface once he is familiar enough to play more instinctively. Would Clements be effective at either SS or FS? I'm skeptical. He is savvy and a solid tackler like Lewis, but Clement's speed and quickness may be on the decline. Moreover, I'm not sure that Clements is ready to accept a position change from CB.

Bottom line, more quickness and speed at safety is the bigger defensive backfield priority, but a young CB should probably be somewhere on the draft list every year, given the pass-happy trend of the NFL.
Originally posted by matt49er:

If we had two good passrushing OLBs we wouldn't be talking about needing secondary players.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
You are dead right in your analysis. Our CBs and safties are good hitters but cannot cover.

Besides Clements (even though he is over paid) and Spencer, we do not have good cover DBs' Goldson, Roman, M.Lewis, T.Brown, Bly, Hudson, R.Smith, K.Smith, are all liabilities in coverage. They consistently get burned by other teams' second, third, and even fourth string WRs (See MN, GB, HOU, SEA 2, ATL, JAX, IND). It should not surprise us because we have been neglecting to draft safeties and corners in higher rounds ever since we signed Clements.

agree
i would have never thought that we would ever make a thread on this topic. our front 7 has always been the problem for the past 7 years
Share 49ersWebzone