LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

Banks: Nate Clements 2nd worst free agent signing of the decade.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
money wise i agree but talent wise no. he's not great but he is d@mn good though. glad we got'em, just not for the prize.
Eh, who cares what Uncle Rico thinks.
this guy is stupid , he calls ben Roth from steelers steal of the draft 11th pick !
need to check his head !
He is full of shet, there are many many worse singnings than this one.
Some of you guys have to consider the fact that Don Banks is over the top with a lot of things. He wants Gary Kubiak to be fired.
Originally posted by crzy:
Nate Clements was a good signing then, and it's still a good signing now.

I shudder to think how bad our pass defense would have been the past couple years without Nate Clements.
Originally posted by Archie:
Some of you guys have to consider the fact that Don Banks is over the top with a lot of things. He wants Gary Kubiak to be fired.

i think alot of folks expect him to get fired if the team doesn't make teh playoffs

It's that and he's a "national" guy. All of these pundits only skim the surface of the situation with their reporting - they only look at stats, etc.

So whatever - let him say it.
I, too, think that Nate has been a decent player, although not worth what he was signed for.

While we are talking about FAs, could some 49er research geek list all of McCluoghan's FA signings over the last five years? Show the amount of their contracts as well. It will probably look pretty sad.

Remember, it is more difficult to figure out how a college player will perform in the NFL than with FAs. They have played at this level, so there is much less room for bonehead mistakes.
Originally posted by blm7754:
I don't know if he's the second worst signing... but it wasn't a good deal for us for sure. Don't get me wrong, Nate is a good player. But if you look at the numbers he has not been worth nearly what he is being paid. Our pass defense sucks. No question about it. We give up A TON of yards. I'm not sure that Nate is to blame for that. He does have an occasional bad week. But most of the time he is a shut down corner. But you can't deny the fact that he is paid a lot, and our pass defense still sucks.

Move him to safety and target a good young corner in the draft.

Clements was never going to live up to that contract unless he was going to bring home 10 picks a season and go to the Probowl every year.

Bottom line is that at the time, San Francisco was not a very desirable place to play. In FA, you ALWAYS have to overpay and outbid the competition in order to bring in the high priced FAs.

I have no regrets about the signing, or for the money that was given him.

-9fA

Originally posted by lamontb:

i think alot of folks expect him to get fired if the team doesn't make teh playoffs

I live in Houston and mostly everyone expects Kubiak to get fired if they end up with another losing or 8-8 season. The franchise has never had a winning season and two coaches, Shanahan and Cowher have expressed interest in the Texans job since they have a ton of talent and for Shanahan his son is the OC for the Texans so they are already running a system he is familiar with. In fact, I would be surprised if Kubiak isn't fired.
This is stupid. If Nate hadn't gotten injured we probably would've won that GB game(none of our corners can tackle and Ryan Grant kept getting to the outside and we couldn't get the ball back), and maybe the game against the Seahawks(Keith Smith wouldn't have been on the field if Nate had been healthy). He shut down Fitz in week 1, he shut down Housh in the Seattle game, and he stopped Sidney Rice from doing anything when we played MN. Then he has 1 bad game vs ATL and dumbass Sing benched him for stupid TBrown. WE NEED NATE.
  • tap11
  • Veteran
I don't think this is anything to get riled up about. I have never seen Don Banks write or say anything that would survive even the mildest form of scrutiny. He and Skip Bayless probably spend a lot of time together.
Originally posted by blm7754:
I don't know if he's the second worst signing... but it wasn't a good deal for us for sure. Don't get me wrong, Nate is a good player. But if you look at the numbers he has not been worth nearly what he is being paid. Our pass defense sucks. No question about it. We give up A TON of yards. I'm not sure that Nate is to blame for that. He does have an occasional bad week. But most of the time he is a shut down corner. But you can't deny the fact that he is paid a lot, and our pass defense still sucks.

Move him to safety and target a good young corner in the draft.

Agreed.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Nate has played very well considering he has to cover twice as long as an average corner. Look at Fitz's stats against us since Clements got here and tell me he hasn't done exactly what he's been paid to do here. We paid alot because that's what you do when you lure a FA, you always overpay. He's been fine, def, not one of the10 worst signings.
Share 49ersWebzone